Home > >

Is this actually an Issey Miyake bag?

POST A REPLY

Jul 7, 2009, 9:08am   #1
k
katsu
I think this is the right forum to pose this question. I couldn't find a megathread for this, so I'm starting a new one.

This is the mystery bag that I saw a few years ago on the sartorialist, but after researching Issey Miyake bags the other day, I came across it again.

This is the mystery bag:

A lot of people say that it's the Issey Miyake Bilbao bag from the Pleats Please collection. I don't think it is. If you look very closely, the triangles on that bag form hexagons, almost like a bucky ball, whereas on Issey Miyake's bag, the triangles compose larger squares.

Miyake Bilbao Bag:

I've been desperately trying to figure out who designed the original black bag, and what style it's called. I really really want it, I'm pretty obsessed with it at the moment.

This is the original sartorialist post:
http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/...c-florida.html
Jul 7, 2009, 10:35am   #2
r
raj
It's an Issey Miyake Pleats Please bag from a long long time ago. That style hasn't been in production in years. It's different than the Bilbao they make now. It has a more circular shape and doesn't have a zip top like the newer ones.

The lady who holds it in the pic, works at MOMA and they occasionally stock Pleats Please bags. I'm guessing that's where she got hers from. The only other place I know that stocks Pleats Please is the boutque in NYC and Joan Shepp. Hope that helps.
Jul 7, 2009, 10:42am   #3
k
katsu
Ughhhhhhh. That's so depressing to hear. Do you if the style is also called Bilbao? I want to try to find other pictures of it so I can at least look at it :(
Aug 27, 2010, 9:00am   #4
C
Cady/cakes
Hi Katsu,
I just found this site and your query late last night...I have this Pleats Please bag! I call it a "Geodesic Dome Handbag"--don'tknow the actual product name. Plese visit DesignerHandbagsandAccessories.net and see the 6.15.2009 post for photos. Enjoy the look.
Cheers, Cady/cakes
Aug 27, 2010, 8:13pm   #5
jetstream7
Gareth Pugh also uses a similar design in his bags, for ex:

http://www.luisaviaroma.com/index.as...seasProdID=52I
Dec 29, 2010, 11:47am   #6
p
poinnie
I want it my own!!!
May 7, 2012, 6:05pm   #7
m
marjanthelion