POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Jun 19, 2012, 1:47pm   #1
M
Thread Starter
Member
Hi Everyone,

I unfortunately got ink on one of my handbags and I don't want to ruin it by trying to get it off. Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I can safely get ink off of leather? Thanks!!
Jun 19, 2012, 5:25pm   #2
rescueGirl's Avatar
Buyer & Seller
Try Q tip and Peroxide
Try Q tip & Nail Polish Remover
Try Q tip & Hairspray

Try in that order...
Don't douse the Qtip.
Take off a bit at a time.
Use fresh Q tip every time.

You can use soap and damp cloth to remove hairspray (if needed)
Jun 19, 2012, 5:48pm   #3
M
Thread Starter
Member
Originally Posted by rescueGirl
Try Q tip and Peroxide
Try Q tip & Nail Polish Remover
Try Q tip & Hairspray

Try in that order...
Don't douse the Qtip.
Take off a bit at a time.
Use fresh Q tip every time.

You can use soap and damp cloth to remove hairspray (if needed)
Thank you so much. I am going to try to get the ink off right now. I hope you are having a great day!!
Jun 19, 2012, 5:52pm   #4
rescueGirl's Avatar
Buyer & Seller
Originally Posted by MT9922
Thank you so much. I am going to try to get the ink off right now. I hope you are having a great day!!
NP:)

Let me know how it goes:):)
Jun 20, 2012, 11:18am   #5
Harbor35's Avatar
Member
OMGOSH -- so scared to try and remove ink from my Prada tote -- it's red leather! Anyone have any experience removing from colored hide?
Jun 21, 2012, 8:43am   #6
leatherpro's Avatar
Leather Consultant
Most ink removal products do not work simply because of the length of time the ink has been on the leather but these are always the best place to start.
Most regular leather cleaners will not remove ink unless it is very fresh and a very good leather protector has been used on a regular basis.
Ink is a dye and it has re-coloured the leather (this is what it is meant to do – think of a pen on paper).
The longer the ink has been left on the leather the harder it is to remove because over time the ink soaks into the finish. Once it has soaked deep into the finish much stronger products are needed to remove the ink. These will damage the finish and may remove the colour which will then need to be repaired - this is best left to a leather specialist as DIY repair products rarely work effectively.
You will see many people on the internet recommending all manner of household products to remove ink from vaseline to toothpaste – this is not recommended as most simply will not work, some that may appear to work have usually done so by damaging the finish and some can cause much bigger problems which may then be un-repairable (even by a technician).



Ink on Pigment/Protected leather (P)

If the ink stain is on pigmented leather then the first thing you should try is an Ink Remover fomulated for leather. The fresher the ink the more chance you have of removing it so It is a good idea to have one in your house or car if you have pale leather and children!!!!
Older ink stains will be harder to remove than a new ink stain and care should be taken. Several gentle attempts at removal are much better than one aggressive one.
If the Ink Remover doesn't remove the ink it does not mean that the product does not work but simply that the ink has travelled too far into the finish on the leather to be removed by this method. Using stronger products will remove the finish on the leather which will then need replacing so this is best left to a leather technician.
The area should always be cleaned after using the Ink Remover to remove any residues which is left on the leather would only attract dirt to the area.
It is also recommended that you use a good quality leather protector on your handbag. This will act like a 'scotchgard' and will make ink much easier to remove if it happens again.



Ink on Aniline Style Leather (A)

As Aniline style leathers are largely absorbent it means that the ink will have soaked straight into the leather itself. This makes it impossible to remove. No product will successfully remove the ink from this type of leather.
DO NOT try ink removing products on Aniline style leathers as most will leave a greasy residue which will then cause more problems.
If a leather protector has been used it is possible that the ink can be cleaned off with an aniline leather cleaner if used straight away.
Because aniline style leathers are absorbent the ink will carry on moving through the leather and may become less obvious over time. Cleaning and protecting on a regular basis will help to dissipate the ink and eventually it may not be so obvious.
Dedicated aniline cleaners and protectors should be used on this type of leather


DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING TO REMOVE INK STAINS FROM LEATHER:

• Hairspray - This is very risky as it can make the matter far worse by spreading the ink over a bigger area and can sometimes then be impossible to fix.
•Nail Varnish remover/solvents - will remove the finish on the leather even if you cannot tell it is doing so and this will then need replacing. Rubbing alcohol may do the same depending on the strength of the finish on the leather.
•Baby wipes - just about the worst thing you can use on leather as they break down the finish and will eventually ruin it.
•Milk or Toothpaste - these are just silly ideas that will leave sticky residues on the surface which will help to break down the finish on your leather.
•Silicones/furniture polish - should never be used on leather. They will form a coating on the surface of the leather which will not allow any moisture to get to the leather itself and will eventually break all the finish down and cause it to crack.
•Hide food - will not remove ink and will leave residues on the leather which will attract dirt and oils.
•Bleach
•WD40
•Household Cleaners

Hope this helps
Regards
Jun 21, 2012, 9:12am   #7
M
Thread Starter
Member
Originally Posted by leatherpro
Most ink removal products do not work simply because of the length of time the ink has been on the leather but these are always the best place to start.
Most regular leather cleaners will not remove ink unless it is very fresh and a very good leather protector has been used on a regular basis.
Ink is a dye and it has re-coloured the leather (this is what it is meant to do – think of a pen on paper).
The longer the ink has been left on the leather the harder it is to remove because over time the ink soaks into the finish. Once it has soaked deep into the finish much stronger products are needed to remove the ink. These will damage the finish and may remove the colour which will then need to be repaired - this is best left to a leather specialist as DIY repair products rarely work effectively.
You will see many people on the internet recommending all manner of household products to remove ink from vaseline to toothpaste – this is not recommended as most simply will not work, some that may appear to work have usually done so by damaging the finish and some can cause much bigger problems which may then be un-repairable (even by a technician).



Ink on Pigment/Protected leather (P)

If the ink stain is on pigmented leather then the first thing you should try is an Ink Remover fomulated for leather. The fresher the ink the more chance you have of removing it so It is a good idea to have one in your house or car if you have pale leather and children!!!!
Older ink stains will be harder to remove than a new ink stain and care should be taken. Several gentle attempts at removal are much better than one aggressive one.
If the Ink Remover doesn't remove the ink it does not mean that the product does not work but simply that the ink has travelled too far into the finish on the leather to be removed by this method. Using stronger products will remove the finish on the leather which will then need replacing so this is best left to a leather technician.
The area should always be cleaned after using the Ink Remover to remove any residues which is left on the leather would only attract dirt to the area.
It is also recommended that you use a good quality leather protector on your handbag. This will act like a 'scotchgard' and will make ink much easier to remove if it happens again.



Ink on Aniline Style Leather (A)

As Aniline style leathers are largely absorbent it means that the ink will have soaked straight into the leather itself. This makes it impossible to remove. No product will successfully remove the ink from this type of leather.
DO NOT try ink removing products on Aniline style leathers as most will leave a greasy residue which will then cause more problems.
If a leather protector has been used it is possible that the ink can be cleaned off with an aniline leather cleaner if used straight away.
Because aniline style leathers are absorbent the ink will carry on moving through the leather and may become less obvious over time. Cleaning and protecting on a regular basis will help to dissipate the ink and eventually it may not be so obvious.
Dedicated aniline cleaners and protectors should be used on this type of leather


DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING TO REMOVE INK STAINS FROM LEATHER:

• Hairspray - This is very risky as it can make the matter far worse by spreading the ink over a bigger area and can sometimes then be impossible to fix.
•Nail Varnish remover/solvents - will remove the finish on the leather even if you cannot tell it is doing so and this will then need replacing. Rubbing alcohol may do the same depending on the strength of the finish on the leather.
•Baby wipes - just about the worst thing you can use on leather as they break down the finish and will eventually ruin it.
•Milk or Toothpaste - these are just silly ideas that will leave sticky residues on the surface which will help to break down the finish on your leather.
•Silicones/furniture polish - should never be used on leather. They will form a coating on the surface of the leather which will not allow any moisture to get to the leather itself and will eventually break all the finish down and cause it to crack.
•Hide food - will not remove ink and will leave residues on the leather which will attract dirt and oils.
•Bleach
•WD40
•Household Cleaners

Hope this helps
Regards

Thank you so much for this valuable information. I am going to print it out and keep it for future reference.
Jun 21, 2012, 4:38pm   #8
K
Member
Perhaps, the ink mark can be turned into a drawn-on decoration, like a leaf or something. Is that too off the wall?
Jun 21, 2012, 11:04pm   #9
bry_dee's Avatar
Sofa King Pissed
Originally Posted by Krazy4Bagz
Perhaps, the ink mark can be turned into a drawn-on decoration, like a leaf or something. Is that too off the wall?
This is not a bad idea at all! I've seen bags that are creatively personalized (for a lack of better term) but it must take a very good artist (or artist-friend) to make a very acceptable modification. And careful planning too!
Jun 21, 2012, 11:50pm   #10
K
Member
Originally Posted by bry_dee
This is not a bad idea at all! I've seen bags that are creatively personalized (for a lack of better term) but it must take a very good artist (or artist-friend) to make a very acceptable modification. And careful planning too!
Yes, if it's not artfully done, you've ruined the whole bag.
Jun 23, 2012, 9:28pm   #11
Jessi319's Avatar
champagne tastes
Originally Posted by leatherpro
Most ink removal products do not work simply because of the length of time the ink has been on the leather but these are always the best place to start.
Most regular leather cleaners will not remove ink unless it is very fresh and a very good leather protector has been used on a regular basis.
Ink is a dye and it has re-coloured the leather (this is what it is meant to do – think of a pen on paper).
The longer the ink has been left on the leather the harder it is to remove because over time the ink soaks into the finish. Once it has soaked deep into the finish much stronger products are needed to remove the ink. These will damage the finish and may remove the colour which will then need to be repaired - this is best left to a leather specialist as DIY repair products rarely work effectively.
You will see many people on the internet recommending all manner of household products to remove ink from vaseline to toothpaste – this is not recommended as most simply will not work, some that may appear to work have usually done so by damaging the finish and some can cause much bigger problems which may then be un-repairable (even by a technician).



Ink on Pigment/Protected leather (P)

If the ink stain is on pigmented leather then the first thing you should try is an Ink Remover fomulated for leather. The fresher the ink the more chance you have of removing it so It is a good idea to have one in your house or car if you have pale leather and children!!!!
Older ink stains will be harder to remove than a new ink stain and care should be taken. Several gentle attempts at removal are much better than one aggressive one.
If the Ink Remover doesn't remove the ink it does not mean that the product does not work but simply that the ink has travelled too far into the finish on the leather to be removed by this method. Using stronger products will remove the finish on the leather which will then need replacing so this is best left to a leather technician.
The area should always be cleaned after using the Ink Remover to remove any residues which is left on the leather would only attract dirt to the area.
It is also recommended that you use a good quality leather protector on your handbag. This will act like a 'scotchgard' and will make ink much easier to remove if it happens again.



Ink on Aniline Style Leather (A)

As Aniline style leathers are largely absorbent it means that the ink will have soaked straight into the leather itself. This makes it impossible to remove. No product will successfully remove the ink from this type of leather.
DO NOT try ink removing products on Aniline style leathers as most will leave a greasy residue which will then cause more problems.
If a leather protector has been used it is possible that the ink can be cleaned off with an aniline leather cleaner if used straight away.
Because aniline style leathers are absorbent the ink will carry on moving through the leather and may become less obvious over time. Cleaning and protecting on a regular basis will help to dissipate the ink and eventually it may not be so obvious.
Dedicated aniline cleaners and protectors should be used on this type of leather


DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING TO REMOVE INK STAINS FROM LEATHER:

• Hairspray - This is very risky as it can make the matter far worse by spreading the ink over a bigger area and can sometimes then be impossible to fix.
•Nail Varnish remover/solvents - will remove the finish on the leather even if you cannot tell it is doing so and this will then need replacing. Rubbing alcohol may do the same depending on the strength of the finish on the leather.
•Baby wipes - just about the worst thing you can use on leather as they break down the finish and will eventually ruin it.
•Milk or Toothpaste - these are just silly ideas that will leave sticky residues on the surface which will help to break down the finish on your leather.
•Silicones/furniture polish - should never be used on leather. They will form a coating on the surface of the leather which will not allow any moisture to get to the leather itself and will eventually break all the finish down and cause it to crack.
•Hide food - will not remove ink and will leave residues on the leather which will attract dirt and oils.
•Bleach
•WD40
•Household Cleaners

Hope this helps
Regards
I hope this isn't a dumb question but how are you supposed to know if you have aniline leather, or pigmented? Is there an example of what that means, like, is Vachetta pigmented, or are the old school Coach bags one or the other?? Is there a way to test your individual bag to know what it is we are working with before proceeding to rehab the bags?
Jun 24, 2012, 5:37am   #12
d
Member
Originally Posted by Jessi319
I hope this isn't a dumb question but how are you supposed to know if you have aniline leather, or pigmented? Is there an example of what that means, like, is Vachetta pigmented, or are the old school Coach bags one or the other?? Is there a way to test your individual bag to know what it is we are working with before proceeding to rehab the bags?
Thank you for this!
Jul 9, 2012, 10:53pm   #13
M
Monstress
Thank goodness for folks like leatherpro. When i saw alcohol, peroxide and acetone recommended, my heart tried to leap out of my chest.
Jul 9, 2012, 11:03pm   #14
tutushopper's Avatar
♥ Lambskin Lover ♥
Originally Posted by Jessi319
I hope this isn't a dumb question but how are you supposed to know if you have aniline leather, or pigmented? Is there an example of what that means, like, is Vachetta pigmented, or are the old school Coach bags one or the other?? Is there a way to test your individual bag to know what it is we are working with before proceeding to rehab the bags?
There is a way to test which kind of leather you are dealing with. You can do the test on an area that won't be seen, such as an inside pocket or such. I saw this done on Martha Stewart, when I was trying to find out which kind of leather a jacket I had purchased was made of (the maker didn't specify).
Jul 11, 2012, 7:17am   #15
c
Member
thanks for the tip, i tried you solution and it worked!!
POST A REPLY
  HOME Bags, Bags, Bags Handbag Care & Maintenance  
TOP

Thread Tools