Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

How to get smoke odor out of purses

POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Jun 7, 2012, 12:06pm   #31
M
Monique777
Member
Originally Posted by mcoop13
I agree with coachqueencoach, I would pass. It's hard to get the smell out..and also if the current owner couldnt get it out, you probably can't either.
Most smoke will air out (pot smoke, fire smoke etc.) but cigarette smoke STICKS to leather(and anything) and gets absorbed. I have done a lot of research because I purchased a beautiful bag and the cig. smoke is not just slight, but overwhelming. I opened it on my way home from the post office and out came the odor. I am now trying something suggested on another thread as my last resort.

If you have a leather that can have a leather cleaner applied, wiping it will help. But search the threads for smoke odor because we went through a great discussion on many ways to remove the odor and people have had a lot of success with the methods.

Wish you the best of luck in removing the odor. Awesome seller for disclosing the information to you. My seller did not and so when I opened it I gasped!
Jun 7, 2012, 2:23pm   #32
J
JenineBilibox
Member
Wipe leather goods with a damp cloth, then a dry cloth. Stuff purses and shoes with newspaper to retain shape. Leather goods should be dried away from heat and sun. When leather goods are dry, clean with saddle soap. Rinse leather and suede jackets in cold water and dry away from heat and sun.
Jun 7, 2012, 6:22pm   #33
roxistar's Avatar
roxistar
Member
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has heard of Odoban? It's a disinfectant and odor eater, you mix a small amount with water and can use it on any household surface. Wonder if that would work or damage bags? Anyone ever used it on bags?
Jun 9, 2012, 8:49am   #34
d
dorothygail101
Member
Originally Posted by indiaink
If they are leather, http://www.lovinmybags.com provides excellent service. You might also contact your insurance company, as they will have recommendations for you (hopefully you were covered...? They would pay for the cost of cleaning, I would think...) If they are not leather, I would think any drycleaner that specializes in smoke damage should be able to clean your bags.
thanks for sharing the link above, i might need to try them...i didnt know that service exsisted!
Jun 11, 2012, 4:18am   #35
iwasborn2shop's Avatar
iwasborn2shop
Member
i agree..i think i will pass on this one..
Jun 11, 2012, 8:54am   #36
peggle's Avatar
peggle
I <3 My Hubby
Originally Posted by Monique777
Most smoke will air out (pot smoke, fire smoke etc.) but cigarette smoke STICKS to leather(and anything) and gets absorbed. I have done a lot of research because I purchased a beautiful bag and the cig. smoke is not just slight, but overwhelming. I opened it on my way home from the post office and out came the odor. I am now trying something suggested on another thread as my last resort.

If you have a leather that can have a leather cleaner applied, wiping it will help. But search the threads for smoke odor because we went through a great discussion on many ways to remove the odor and people have had a lot of success with the methods.

Wish you the best of luck in removing the odor. Awesome seller for disclosing the information to you. My seller did not and so when I opened it I gasped!

I would try Baking Soda, fresh new box, take out light colored towel, and dump baking soda all over the bag and in the bag, put another light colored towel on the bag, wait 2 or 3 days and repeat if needed. Also in between soda baths hang outside for some fresh air.

good luck and hope you can get the odor out so you can love your bag
Jun 24, 2012, 10:39am   #37
Jessi319's Avatar
Jessi319
champagne tastes
Originally Posted by gordomom
I also bought one from the Bay recently that had a smokey odor. I used a charcoal odor remover. It's basically a cardboard container with holes. Inside, there are packets of charcoal and it sucks out the odor. I think the concept is similar to baking soda, which I may try on another bag I purchased that has a spicy scent, if the charcoal doesn't work.

The charcoal container has been inside the bag for about a week. Along with sitting next to an open window, the odor seems to be subsiding!

I found the charcoal odor remover at Marshall's for my kid's room (pre-teen smelly socks, etc...)
I"ve also tried charcoal. I just went to a store that sells fish/fish tanks and bought a plastic container of charcoal pellets normally used in tank filters... I just poured it into a couple of small thin socks and tied them shut, then put the charcoal "sachets" along with the purse into an air tight container and let it sit a good while...( a week or so?), and switched out the charcoal a couple times. It definitely helped. If you wanted to double up and also do the baking soda and charcoal together in the container it might be even better. It did help reduce the smell a whole lot. Airing it outside after that seemed to reduce it to almost totally gone. I think it's just a matter of time and patience and keep trying method after method until it finally makes a dent.
Jun 24, 2012, 11:18am   #38
rainrowan's Avatar
rainrowan
where's my bag?!
Originally Posted by Nani_F
Btw has anyone tried putting a leather bag to freezer, if that would help? And would it affect the leather? My sister said this would help but I'm scared of trying

I tried this, but only for mildew-y odor. Be careful to wrap the bag in some protective paper, and then in a large paper bag or trash bag before freezing. It should "freeze" for a few hours. Do NOT touch the bag until it has come back to room temperature on its own naturally. I do not know how leather feels when frozen but I would not want it to crack if you tried to touch it right away. For deeper mildew odor or even mold, it will not really work I think, requires deep freeze to kill mold.

The best thing for smoke odor imo is wiping it down, it's not just odor, but the smoke and all that cigarettes contain and/or expel carried into the leather...
Jun 24, 2012, 3:24pm   #39
k
kayem333
Member
NEED HELP ASAP! I purchased the balenciaga city, link below. It can in looks great, feels great, i read almost every website possible to compare if it real, and it passed every test. However, there is 1 HUGE issue, it has a distinct smell, not a leather smell, it has this weird moldy type smell, and its a new bag, from the # it cant be older than 2009-2010. So, after receiveing the bag I emailed the owner and told her the smell is not going away and if nothing is done I will open a claim. She emailed me and appologized and stated she would refund me 125 to get it cleaned. I purhased the bag for 570, that being said, it was a great deal, however, now that shes SO willing to refund me 125 to clean it, im starting to think its a really really good fake. I cant tell, but the hardware, the #'s, the leather, the handles, the zipper, the stiching is perfect. So im not sure whether to:
1. Open a claim to get a fullr refund because no1 would sell for that amount a real bag?
2. Take the 125 and try getting the bag cleaned?
Please HELP!! or ADVISE!!
listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110897048508...84.m1497.l2649
Jun 24, 2012, 3:28pm   #40
Pearlv's Avatar
Pearlv
Member
Originally Posted by kayem333
NEED HELP ASAP! I purchased the balenciaga city, link below. It can in looks great, feels great, i read almost every website possible to compare if it real, and it passed every test. However, there is 1 HUGE issue, it has a distinct smell, not a leather smell, it has this weird moldy type smell, and its a new bag, from the # it cant be older than 2009-2010. So, after receiveing the bag I emailed the owner and told her the smell is not going away and if nothing is done I will open a claim. She emailed me and appologized and stated she would refund me 125 to get it cleaned. I purhased the bag for 570, that being said, it was a great deal, however, now that shes SO willing to refund me 125 to clean it, im starting to think its a really really good fake. I cant tell, but the hardware, the #'s, the leather, the handles, the zipper, the stiching is perfect. So im not sure whether to:
1. Open a claim to get a fullr refund because no1 would sell for that amount a real bag?
2. Take the 125 and try getting the bag cleaned?
Please HELP!! or ADVISE!!
listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110897048508...84.m1497.l2649
Your link doesnt work. Has it been over 90 days
Jun 26, 2012, 1:52am   #41
gordomom's Avatar
gordomom
Member
Originally Posted by Jessi319
I"ve also tried charcoal. I just went to a store that sells fish/fish tanks and bought a plastic container of charcoal pellets normally used in tank filters... I just poured it into a couple of small thin socks and tied them shut, then put the charcoal "sachets" along with the purse into an air tight container and let it sit a good while...( a week or so?), and switched out the charcoal a couple times. It definitely helped. If you wanted to double up and also do the baking soda and charcoal together in the container it might be even better. It did help reduce the smell a whole lot. Airing it outside after that seemed to reduce it to almost totally gone. I think it's just a matter of time and patience and keep trying method after method until it finally makes a dent.
Oh - that's a great idea to make your own! The baking soda also makes sense since it works for the fridge. I also hadn't thought of putting it into an airtight container, so I will add that as well. Thanks for the tips!!
Jun 26, 2012, 3:58am   #42
e
evacheri
Member
I think i would pass on this. Just my 2 cents tho. Its very difficult to get that smell out.
Jul 8, 2012, 8:21pm   #43
p
purseslove27
purselove27
Cedar chips gets rid of orders in handbags. I never had that problem, but I read about it in a fashion book.
Jul 10, 2012, 2:21pm   #44
M
Marumari
Monstress
cedar chips won't remove the odor, they'll just replace it with a less unpleasant one (masking) that either covers or blends with the current odor for a semi-permanent to permanent solution.

Two approaches I would try first - high air flow and no air flow.

high air flow is like when you put the bag in front of a fan or outside (outside is better but obvs don't leave it in the sun etc). The air whisks away the smoke particles (which is what you smell) more quickly and stops them from re-adhering to the bag they way they often will if the bag is in a low air flow environment. If there are a lot of particles (strong smell), this can take a very long time.

The no airflow approach requires that you have something to take up the particles or else they just re-adhere to the surface of the bag, so this is where you get your solutions that involve baking soda or carbon (I would guess carbon to be the more aggressive particle-absorbing agent, but it can leave black dust so just be careful). This is good for the insides of bags where airflow is minimized, and if you're trying to treat the outside too, you probably want to put the purse in an airtight container with the carbon or baking soda. The reason is that there are all kinds of particles in plain air and the carbon absorbs without preference - enclosing the treatment with your bag ensures its efficacy is directed entirely towards the particles coming off your bag.

If after attempting these two approaches for a couple weeks (at least one week each) there is still a lingering smell, it should be very faint by then, and cedar might be the way to go at that point.

Just my $.02
Aug 3, 2012, 10:08am   #45
l
laurenkunst
Member
I bought a vintage AWL Dooney off ebay about 4 months ago. It took me almost 3 of those months to get the cigarette smell out for good. I stuffed it with downy dryer sheets and locked it up in my closet. I changed the dryer sheets once a week and sprayed the inside with febreeze (only because the inside of the bag was marked up with pen, I wasn't concerned with the febreeze damaging it). It did take care of the smell completely and now it smells like downy. It's very nice actually.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools