POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Aug 16, 2012, 12:40pm   #1
j
Thread Starter
jgeff
Member
Hi everyone! So, I've been eyeing the 3.1 Phillip Lim 'Pashli' for ages now and I think I may finally purchase it! I have a coupon for Saks, so I was going to buy it there, but the color I want (black) is all sold out. They still have a bright red avaliable, and I was wondering if I should order that. If I took it to a tailor or something, would they be able to dye it completely black? Also, would it affect the leather? Thanks!
Aug 16, 2012, 1:10pm   #2
Elliespurse's Avatar
Elliespurse
TPF Moderator
Hi, I would say dyeing from bright red to black would not be the same as buying a black one. The dye only colors the leather, not the red edges and the interior would be best not dyed. It could also affect the leather feel, some may also use acrylic paint to color the leather. I would wait until you finds a black Pashli.
Aug 16, 2012, 1:12pm   #3
j
Thread Starter
jgeff
Member
Originally Posted by Elliespurse
Hi, I would say dyeing from bright red to black would not be the same as buying a black one. The dye only colors the leather, not the red edges and the interior would be best not dyed. It could also affect the leather feel, some may also use acrylic paint to color the leather. I would wait until you finds a black Pashli.
Okay, thanks. If I hand-dyed the edges and used conditioner, do you think it would be worth it?
Aug 16, 2012, 1:21pm   #4
Elliespurse's Avatar
Elliespurse
TPF Moderator
Originally Posted by jgeff
Okay, thanks. If I hand-dyed the edges and used conditioner, do you think it would be worth it?
The edges are usually a type of glue to cover the raw leather. The leather dye would "take" on the edges because they are not leather. I looked at this bag on saks.com but are the zippers red too?
Aug 16, 2012, 1:23pm   #5
j
Thread Starter
jgeff
Member
Originally Posted by Elliespurse
The edges are usually a type of glue to cover the raw leather. The leather dye would "take" on the edges because they are not leather. I looked at this bag on saks.com but are the zippers red too?
No, theyre gold. Thank you so much for helping me out with this, I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to care for purses.
Aug 16, 2012, 1:34pm   #6
Elliespurse's Avatar
Elliespurse
TPF Moderator
Originally Posted by jgeff
No, theyre gold. Thank you so much for helping me out with this, I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to care for purses.
No problem.

Of course I meant "The leather dye would not "take" on the edges because they are not leather." sorry
Aug 16, 2012, 1:49pm   #7
j
Thread Starter
jgeff
Member
Originally Posted by Elliespurse
No problem.

Of course I meant "The leather dye would not "take" on the edges because they are not leather." sorry
Its fine. Would there be anything that would be able to dye the edges?
Aug 16, 2012, 1:59pm   #8
Elliespurse's Avatar
Elliespurse
TPF Moderator
There are products for the edges but I think they replaces the edges, not coloring them.
Aug 16, 2012, 2:31pm   #9
j
Thread Starter
jgeff
Member
Originally Posted by Elliespurse
There are products for the edges but I think they replaces the edges, not coloring them.
Okay. This is also a thought, would it be okay to purchase it now since I get a discount and return it for a black one in store?
Aug 16, 2012, 2:35pm   #10
Elliespurse's Avatar
Elliespurse
TPF Moderator
I would actually wait for the black you really want, perhaps they restock bags on discount later?
Aug 16, 2012, 2:53pm   #11
j
Thread Starter
jgeff
Member
Originally Posted by Elliespurse
I would actually wait for the black you really want, perhaps they restock bags on discount later?
I called customer service, they said no :(
Aug 16, 2012, 4:13pm   #12
twin-fun's Avatar
twin-fun
SPECTRUM MOM
Another part of the bag that would not take the dye would be all the stitching. I have not looked at the bag but if the thread they are using is not 100% cotton, any synthetic material will stay the original color. So you would end up with a black bag with red stitching.
Aug 16, 2012, 4:20pm   #13
j
Thread Starter
jgeff
Member
Originally Posted by twin-fun
Another part of the bag that would not take the dye would be all the stitching. I have not looked at the bag but if the thread they are using is not 100% cotton, any synthetic material will stay the original color. So you would end up with a black bag with red stitching.
Wow, thanks for the tip. I hope its 100% cotton! I think I'm gonna try out the red, and ask to exchange for black if the red is too bright or whatever.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools