ASOS

Black Friday 30% Off With Code: TGIBF
Home > >

Introduce me to Gucci / Soho?

POST A REPLY

May 20, 2012, 9:35am   #1
pixiechic
So thankful.
In the 6 years I've been on tPF, I've had bags from almost every designer -- except Gucci, which somehow never really jumped out at me.

However, the other day I was shopping for something else at NM and saw a beautiful Gucci. I was not expecting it at all, and it was love at first sight. You know that moment when you see THE bag...it's like a shaft of light beams down from the sky, and it draws you in? You can almost hear angels singing.

Le sigh.

She is a bit out of my price range for now, but I'm saving my pennies and trying not to obsess. In the meantime, I'd like to find out more about the brand. Here are some questions I have:

1) When I picked up this bag, it felt pretty lightweight for such a large leather bag. If I carry this as a work bag, will it stand up to everyday use, as long as I don't overload it? I wouldn't put my laptop in it, but probably a small umbrella, iPad, wallet, sunnies, etc.

2) In general, is Gucci pretty good quality compared with other designers? Are there things I should watch for?

3) I found the online store, which is awesome. Does Gucci ever go on sale? Are there outlets?

4) Can the experts here can give me an idea of what you love about Gucci..and what you don't love?

5) Does anyone have this bag already? (it's the medium size) If so, do you love it? Does it need any special care?

6) Is the Soho line new, or well established? Is it likely to be around for a while, or should I snap this bag up ASAP?

Sorry for all the n00b questions, and thanks in advance
Attached Images

May 20, 2012, 7:29pm   #2
cocobean1793
I have the boston style bag from the soho line and love it. It holds a good amount without losing it's shape. The leather on my bag isn't as thick/heavy feeling as some other leather bags, such as Prada but that may be due to the lining being linen, which seems a bit lighter than what some other designers use. Not really sure, just a thought.

I carry mostly Chanel, Dior, Hermes, Ferragamo and Gucci and feel the quality of Gucci is on par with my other bags. I've owned many Gucci bags,wallets and shoes and haven't had any problems, but I can only speak for my own experience.

There are outlets (try Woodbury Coomons in NY) and if you check for another thread regarding Gucci sales, there was a link posted today for the online pre-sale. You need to use the link to access the sale items, you won't see it if you go to the website directly. The bag you like isn't in the pre-sale items :( You can also check bluefly.com for Gucci bags. They have had a few from the soho collection.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I love Gucci's quality and low key look. You can certainly find a Gucci bag that is immediately identifiable by the classic green/red web colors or GG fabric, but you can also find many styles that are more 'discreet', which is my preference.

I've not seen this particular bag in person yet

I'm not positive but I think it came out with this years cruise collection. At least that is the first time I saw it :)

Hope some of this helped!
May 20, 2012, 10:36pm   #3
pixiechic
So thankful.
Wonderful, thank you! I really like the Boston style too...and low key is what I'm after.
May 21, 2012, 5:03am   #4
papertiger
1) When I picked up this bag, it felt pretty lightweight for such a large leather bag. If I carry this as a work bag, will it stand up to everyday use, as long as I don't overload it? I wouldn't put my laptop in it, but probably a small umbrella, iPad, wallet, sunnies, etc.

It's prob lightweight because of 3 thing: 1) it has very little hardware 2) it is lined in light natural fabric and 3) the type of leather used. Gucci come up with many bags and this is quite new but it should be fine and Gucci stand behind their leather bags and guarantee for a year, if you see it in person I'm sure you will appreciate the quality. Personally, I don't put my laptop or large bottles of water in any designer bag, they are not made for that purpose

2) In general, is Gucci pretty good quality compared with other designers? Are there things I should watch for?

I have mostly Gucci and Hermes now (the last 3 years) so that should tell you something

3) I found the online store, which is awesome. Does Gucci ever go on sale? Are there outlets?

Yes they do but this is quite a new bag and quite popular so...

4) Can the experts here can give me an idea of what you love about Gucci..and what you don't love?

I'm not that keen on the original fabric bags but that was due to experience quite a few years ago, other than that I would say I am very loyal because I can rely on Gucci for quality and beauty

5) Does anyone have this bag already? (it's the medium size) If so, do you love it? Does it need any special care?

Sorry, no I don't

6) Is the Soho line new, or well established? Is it likely to be around for a while, or should I snap this bag up ASAP?

It's a fairly new line but if you want a certain colour snap it up
May 21, 2012, 9:21am   #5
pixiechic
So thankful.
Thanks, papertiger. I did see this bag in person and the quality seemed quite good. And the leather felt lovely...

I agree about laptops and heavy water bottles in designer bags - I don't do it. My employer gave everyone sturdy laptop backpacks last year, so that's what I use. They aren't particularly attractive, but at least they are designed for carrying heavy stuff and distribute the weight well. But a shoulder bag doesn't work well with a backpack, so I use hand-carried bags most of the time.
Jun 15, 2012, 9:00am   #6
c
caramel15
I love the soho, its such a head turner. Im hoping to get one very soon. Just have to figure out color. If you get it im sure you'll love it.
Jun 16, 2012, 11:55pm   #7
n
nancyliu0522
good looking & quietly enchanting... i love it.
Jun 22, 2012, 3:30pm   #8
y
ya_weknoitsfake
I have the large soho hobo in red and I love it. It's top 3 in my bag collection. It's stylish, the color stands out, and it's lightweight and comfortable for the size. I'd definitely go for it when the time is right.
Jun 22, 2012, 5:35pm   #9
BgaHolic
Emma 4ever in my <3
The bag you chose is stunning. Did you end up buying it in that gorgeous purple color? I have not yet checked out this line but can tell you from owning Gucci leather bags, the leather is extraordinary and the service superb.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >