Sob! My face is bright RED & BURNING after a chemical peel!

emmakins

Obsessed with Pink!
O.G.
Jul 5, 2006
It is going to be a week before my 10 year high school reunion so i decided to do something about my pigmentation and acne scars.

The beautician reccommended a chemical peel with lactic, salicylic, resorcinol and bearberry (melanin inhibitor). She put on three layers and left it on for about 10 minutes.

It burned like crazy but for the sake of fantastic results, I put up with it.

Now a day later, I look like I've had a terrible sunburn. My face is red, itchy, sensitive, and feels hot and tight. I'm literally dabbing on Nivea creme every 15 minutes. :crybaby:

I have work tomorrow and I'm too embarassed to go into the office! I would not have done the peel if I knew it was going to be this bad! All I was told was that my skin tone would look uneven, feel tight and start peeling around the third day.

Has anyone had a peel before? Is this normal?

mine was done by a dermatologist.It's important that you trust your skin with the doctors. I had chemical peels done,it's normal that it will turn red at first, then light brown in color after a few days then it will peel,wait after a few days.Hope it will give good results i was satisfied with mine but have no plans to have another one because it can really damage the skin.

Perhaps you should see a dermatologist to make sure you did not damage burn your skin and you could probably get a good cream to help.
My friend used some cream that I guess was like a peel, her doctor (maybe dermatologist gave it to her-it was perscription). Well her face looked like deep red sunburn, I mean you really didn't want to go out in public looking like that. It peeled in a week and the skin under it was baby perfect. She did not complain of pain, I think itching was her problem.
I hope yours gets better soon, perhaps in a day or two it will be OK. But if you feel like you are in pain and something is wrong you might want to see a doctor.
Just a thought, did they tell you what to use after the peel? To me Nivea is so heavy perhaps it will interfere with the peeling and it will take longer to heal. Maybe something like Aloe for sunburn will be better-I use that on my kids if they get any sunburn and it works great.

I was told to expect to be pretty red and tender for the first day or two and then kind of brown for a day or so after that. I didn't leave my house for about 3 or 4 days and I was pretty self conscious for a few more days. I decided not to do chemical peels after that experience!

I did have a couple of spots that "burned" a little and I was given Vitamin E to reduce the likelihood of scarring.

Personally, I love microdermabrasion. I feel like I get faster, more noticeable results. I don't have the "downtime" afterwards and I love how my skin feels.

I hope your skin heals quickly!:flowers:

It is going to be a week before my 10 year high school reunion so i decided to do something about my pigmentation and acne scars.

The beautician reccommended a chemical peel with lactic, salicylic, resorcinol and bearberry (melanin inhibitor). She put on three layers and left it on for about 10 minutes.

It burned like crazy but for the sake of fantastic results, I put up with it.

Now a day later, I look like I've had a terrible sunburn. My face is red, itchy, sensitive, and feels hot and tight. I'm literally dabbing on Nivea creme every 15 minutes. :crybaby:

I have work tomorrow and I'm too embarassed to go into the office! I would not have done the peel if I knew it was going to be this bad! All I was told was that my skin tone would look uneven, feel tight and start peeling around the third day.

Has anyone had a peel before? Is this normal?

Yikes, sorry to hear about your face! Have you ever tried Kiehl's recovery salve? It's soothing, and is meant for use along with their gentle dermabrasion scrub. I use it when my face gets itchy and sensitive, and it works.

I have had salicylic (sp?) peels and another kind too that I can't remember the name of, but I think it had lactic acid in it. They were done in my dermatologist's office by an esthetician. I didn't have too much redness or peeling after either one, but the esthetician said that was very unusual. Most people suffer some discomfort, some quite a lot. She warned me that I might be extremely red and might peel a lot -- as she put it "peel like a snake". I think you are doing the right thing with the Nivea cream. (I used Aveeno.) After about 3 -4 days you'll probably be okay. I was happy with the results! I hope things go well for you.

I have had five. I know all about the pain. This is how it supposed to be. The result will be fantastic! The larger the burn-the more days you will need to heal But a great amount of your scars will be gone. This is the way it is supposed to be. You need about a week for healing and you need to start putting a special cream (pharmaceutical)after the dead skin is gone in order to heal quicker and your complexion to be even otherwise the new skin will look re and the old well normal. Hope this helps...

OK i found the cream that was suggested by my dermatologist. IT IS CRUCIAL TO PUT IT ON. the healing procedure cuts in half by using this. I know because the first time i did not use it. It is called PROPIOGENTA and the ingredients are Betamethasone0,5mg and Gentamicin 1mg
If the cream in your area is not called like this just ask for any cream that has the above ingredients. Good luck. I will have one more in a month-really bad problem

Thanks ladies! :crybaby:

Today (Day 3) my skin is still red and itchy and it's started peeling around the nose and chin. I piled on heaps of sunscreen! It looks like I've put glue over my face and it's dried up cos it feels really tight and wrinkly.

And I'm at work!

My peel was administered by my beautician, not a dermo. I'm scared now that it will either have no effect or leave scars, or it won't heal in time for my reunion on Saturday!

I soooo regret doing this! :sad:

Keep putting nivea on-as much as you can!!!!After most of the dead skin is gone put the pharmaceutical cream on. Now i remember! You must use a loofah sponge to scrub the treated area(advice given to me by my dermatologist)once a day lets say(this hurts a lot). then after the scrubbing put nivea on and you will see after some hours that more skin will peal.Repeat the same procedure before applying the cream i suggested. These are stuff learned the hard way:yucky: ...

It's totally normal. Three layers is alot for a peel. get only one but I have pretty good skin. I get the blue peels. Sometimes it takes a week to get back to normal! I feel the results are WORTH IT! Good luck!

Alright, day 3! Today my skin is still red and most of the skin around my mouth have peeled off. No peeling around the rest of the face.

I did'nt have a loofah so I scrubbed my face with a scrub and it stung like crazy! My face is still flakey though.

Can't say that any of my scars or pigmentation look any better at this stage.

oh don't scrub! That can hurt the skin underneath. It'll slowly peel off. I'm sure a big part of of it is the salicylic acid since lactic is milder. One cream that works great is from Sally's Beauty Supply. The brand is called Lome and theres a mild peel that comes with a cream to apply afterwards. It was the only thing I could put on my face after a series of peels and Rx exfolator (tazorac). I could barely wash my face, but this cream was the best. If you can tolerate it, a mild alpha hydroxy cream will help with the flakes.

I've had a few peels done when I got my facials. I looked like I was sunburned for about a week. I was applying face cream like crazy!!! But the results are amazing and so worth it. I don't know about the three layer thing..that just sounds like a lot to me. But it sounds like you are healing up fine.

I hope everything works out for your reunion!!
:smile: