Why does'nt LV do this?

perek

see's you
Sep 17, 2006
Why not implement an universal identification system with the bags. Have a hologrammed card come with each new item with a serial number on it which you could type in online and verify the authenticity of the item, it could show the manufacture date, manufacture plant name, store of purchase, model number, and original owner. That way fakes would be obsolete.

Better yet they could implant RFID tags into each item such that all that would be needed was a scan to get all relevent information and verify the authenticity.

^ i think thatsa great idea. but i aslo think that will jack up the prices immensely for them to implement this...

it will be hugley relied on to keep on updating that system. and in the end i think ppl could just lie and say yes here is a serial number of a bg that was created. but its no definate that this is the right bag. they would just end up fakinf the serial numbers too

^ i think thatsa great idea. but i aslo think that will jack up the prices immensely for them to implement this...

it will be hugley relied on to keep on updating that system. and in the end i think ppl could just lie and say yes here is a serial number of a bg that was created. but its no definate that this is the right bag. they would just end up fakinf the serial numbers too
To tell you how easy this is to do, I interned at a major tire manufacture this summer and worked on an RFID program. Basically they could track a tire from the second it came off the plant floor, they could track the mileage, retracking info, owner, and service records, all in the TIRE. This was all done by ONE programmer, and a few other creative inputs. RFID tags themselves cost mere pennies. Also, Microsoft does this with their software products. LV makes huge bank on their stuff and it would increase their value immensely, and destroy the fakes market!

I don't like the idea of RFID tags. They come with their own internal power source and can be tracked via satelite... meaning the government can locate where you are at anytime. They have started putting them inside some state IDs (Alabama being one of the 1st states to test them out) and they want to start enbedding them into DVD's so that players will only play offical dvd's, so all backup copies you make for yourself will never be able to be used. All in all, I don't like the idea of being able to be tracked by a chip that has a battery life of over a hundred years...

You are missing the point of RFID, I think the hysteria of RFID is hilarious. Just like the people that opposed genetically engineered food, RFID will be in everything we consume in the near future. No one is going to track you, the distance is very limited, its simple radiotronics.

^^ I think perek is right about this. This would be manufactured for a particular reason and that reason only.

The government has had the capablility to track anyone, at any time, in any place.....for many, many years. If they want to track you, they will. It's not going to matter what you put a chip in.

You are missing the point of RFID, I think the hysteria of RFID is hilarious. Just like the people that opposed genetically engineered food, RFID will be in everything we consume in the near future. No one is going to track you, the distance is very limited, its simple radiotronics.

I think RFID might be a the way to go, but due to privacy issues and even break-in's of RFID chips on US Passports, the handbag makers may wish to wait a little longer, at least until the technology catches up with the concept. :wlae:

I think I read an article in Harper's Bazaar where someone had an idea of making real bags glow (or something?) when they are in close proximity of another real bag of the same brand. That would be kind of weird though.

I don't see why fakes would be obsolete. People who want to purchase replicas will continue to do so. These measures would only protect people purchasing second hand/on eBay (which I don't think LV likes anyway), they'd prefer if people purchased from THEM instead.

I think RFID might be a the way to go, but due to privacy issues and even break-in's of RFID chips on US Passports, the handbag makers may wish to wait a little longer, at least until the technology catches up with the concept. :wlae:
The RFID wouldnt hold any personal info, just the bags vital manufacture info.

good idea....I'm not trying to discredit ya, but what makes you think that fakers won't just fake this entire hologram system too? I think it's impractical cuz first, LV's gonna increase the prices for their bags, while at the same time, counterfeiters would also be able to steal the same technology......cuz seriously.....a hologram sticker which can be scanned on the computer is still pretty simple to do.....