Cleaning Suede with a Nail File ... PHOTOS!

Jan 9, 2006
So, in this month's Lucky it talks about using a nail file to get rid of stains on suede. I have a slim soft duffle I bought about a year ago and it had horrible dirt stains on it (this was before I used shining monkey on my bags). I had only used it for about a month too! So it's been sitting in its dustbag, but when I read this, I thought I should give it a try. I wish I had taken more before photos, because you can't REALLY see how dirty it was, but it will give you an idea.

suede1.jpg

The worst dirt was on the corners (esp. near the wite corner stiching) and the bottom of the bag. The article mentioned to only use regular nail files since colored ones might rub off of the suede, so I picked up a pack of 15 for $0.72 last night at Walmart.

More photos ...

suede2.jpg

suede3.jpg

All I did was rub the nail file on the stains ... the article said to go lightly, but my stains were pretty bad, so I put some muscle in it. :P It didn't hurt the suede or anything. I had to rub the darker stains more, but the whole thing only took about 5 minutes! It didn't take all of the dirt off, but it took almost all of it off, and it looks 100% better! If I had worked some more, I probably could have gotten it all out, but my hand was getting tired. I may try again later.

After photos ...

suede4.jpg

You can see the most difference at the top of the circle in the white stitching ... right in between the R E.

suede5.jpg

suede6.jpg

suede7.jpg

Obviously, this worked on my bag, but don't yell at me if it messes up yours. The dusty rose is a medium shade, so you might need to do more rubs for lighter suede and less for darker suede. I am very happy with how it turned out though!

Cool :smile: I got the white Hampton's scribble hobo which is dirty, but I've been too scared to do anything about it :/ I shouldn't have gotten white, but it was too cute :sad:

anotheremptysky,

Thanks so much for showing before and afters! I get SO frustrated about stains on my suede. I can't wait to try this! :lol:

Do you use shining monkey on your suede also???? I need a good protectant for my suede products. I've tried Scotchgard, but I felt it made the suede a little darker!

Thank you soooooo much for posting this! I was a bit down after using my Hampton's Patchwork Hobo, for a week, when my cat decided to walk by it after eating, and wouldn't you know it, she gets a spot on the lavender suede square. Thankfully it was in the back, but then my SA at Coach was out of suede care kits...so into the dustbag it went. Well...I read your wonderful post, saw the great photos and decided to give it a whirl. AND 10 minutes later you wouldn't even know that there was a spot on the suede.

My dad thinks for people to post about purses all day long on this message board, well that we need to get a life. LOL. I showed him my spot, (before and after) told him about the tip, and he asked where I read it. And I said, on the Purse Forum I read! Tee hee. We laughed.

What's Shining Monkey and where do I get it?

Thanks,

p

Shining monkey is to protect untreated leather. I think the only place to get it is online at shiningmonkey.com, it's for cars but it's worked great on bags. I haven't used it personally but if you do a search on tPF you'll find alot about it. If you have a Burlingtons by you, you can get Appleguard there & it serves the same purpose.