help me make my big purchase! inlcudes pictures!

french toast

Dec 7, 2006
Hey everyone! I just started posting here fairly recently (long time lurker) and I am getting ready to invest in my first "serious" bag. I really want to treat myself to something nice, however, I am on a limited budget so I am looking for just one bag. I want this bag to be high quality and somewhat classic so I don't get sick of it easily - something I can carry for years.

With these desires in mind, any suggestions based on my top 9 favorites as of now?

Top row, left to right: Gryson Olivia, RM Matinee, Gryson Alexa
Middle row: Gustto Large Setela, AC City Tote, Botkier Frankie Hobo
Bottom row: RM Elisha, Marc by Marc Jacobs Dr. Q, Gustto Biagio

Or if you don't think any of these will suit my needs, any other recommendations? The most important thing to me is longevity. I would like to spend less than $600 (I know some of the bags above are more than that, I would have to find them on sale of course!)

Thanks so much for any help or advice. I've learned so much from this forum already!:woohoo:

Can you describe your style (e.g. uber casual or do you like to dress up)? Do you prefer a certain style of handbag (e.g. hobo vs tote)? Is this new bag supposed to be everyday work tote or only a handbag?

Can you describe your style (e.g. uber casual or do you like to dress up)? Do you prefer a certain style of handbag (e.g. hobo vs tote)? Is this new bag supposed to be everyday work tote or only a handbag?

I am pretty casual, and it will be my everyday bag (casual work enviroment and casual life - I very rarely get dressed up but I like looking casual and cute).

My only preference is that it has at least one strap long enough to wear on the shoulder - i don't like carrying bags in my hand for long periods of time.

I'm partial to the Marc by Marc Jacobs bag. Is that a longer strap for the bag?

My second choice would be the Botkier bag. I love red bags, and am in the hunt for the perfect red bag right now.

I am pretty casual, and it will be my everyday bag (casual work enviroment and casual life - I very rarely get dressed up but I like looking casual and cute).

My only preference is that it has at least one strap long enough to wear on the shoulder - i don't like carrying bags in my hand for long periods of time.

In that case, I vote for either Gryson or the AC city tote. However, IME, Gryson bags tend to be on the heavy side due to the substantial leather and suede lining. YMMV.