Need Car Help!!

Nina_LV

Sep 4, 2006
My 2008 BMW X5 starts vibrating to an extent where you can actually hear it whenever the A/C is on!! I have already made an appointment to take it to the dealer but its in 2 weeks. In the mean time can anyone give me an idea as to why this is happening?:tdown::tdown:

It could be anything. It could be alignment, transmission, ball joints, tie rods, etc., etc. It's really hard to know w/o riding in your car. It also depends when it does this as to what the problem is.

I'm taking a wild guess here because of what's said on the previous post. My last car (Ford Focus) did that for a while. You could hear AND feel the steering wheel vibrate. If your steering wheel is doing that, it could very well be the thingie that holds the engine in place. At least that's what happened to mine. All they did was replace it, and good as new!

^ I agree. I was going to amend my post to add that. At least run it into a local place and see if it is something major and if it is, let the dealer know that and see if you can get in sooner. Or just go have whatever needs done at the independent shop- IMO you get better service, prices, etc. at independent garages v. dealer repair.

^ I agree. I was going to amend my post to add that. At least run it into a local place and see if it is something major and if it is, let the dealer know that and see if you can get in sooner. Or just go have whatever needs done at the independent shop- IMO you get better service, prices, etc. at independent garages v. dealer repair.

If I had a 2008 vehicle and my dealership told me it would be "two weeks" I would dump that vehicle in a heartbeat. Jeez my last Mazda was never out more than a day. And yes - I will agree that off-dealership shops are normally better. But if I had to deal with that bs under warranty.. the car would be *returned*. lol. :smile:

Does it only vibrate when the AC is on? Where do you feel the vibration? In the seat, the steering wheel, or does the whole car vibrate?

The vibration is throughout the whole car but strogest at the steering wheel, and both front seats.

According to my BMW dealer the wait is 2 weeks since it is not a problem that I should worry about!!:tdown:

do you have bmw assist? i would call them and ask them what it is. they can run checks and see if they can come up with anything.

next, i would ask to speak with the head mechanic or the salesman you bought it from. or even the dealership owner. raise hell. at the dealership i got mine from they are very good with customer service and would not want something like this happening.

If I had a 2008 vehicle and my dealership told me it would be "two weeks" I would dump that vehicle in a heartbeat. Jeez my last Mazda was never out more than a day. And yes - I will agree that off-dealership shops are normally better. But if I had to deal with that bs under warranty.. the car would be *returned*. lol. :smile:

Seriously. I agree. I'd tell them they could have their car back and I'd take my business elsewhere. Most ppl own a car for years- my average is 6 years and to deal w/ that all the time? No way!