This is awful, I just saw a little dog get hit and killed by a car

Irishgal

I run with scissors
O.G.
Apr 22, 2006
Ok, I am so very sick right now. I was walking my dogs (on leashes, of course) in the area by my house. I was on the east side of the street and suddenly I see a small doggie dash out of a house on the west side of the street, it's owner running after it yelling, the doggie had seen my dogs and was rushing to come to play. The dog ran into the street and was hit by a car. The owner picked it up and it was not moving, just hanging limp in his arms. Then others from the house came out and put it on the grass and just sat there. This was so horrible to watch I just feel sick right now.

Oh, honey, I am so sorry you has to see this. I know you feel horrible because it looked like the little dog just wanted to come meet your pups. But it sounds like the poor thing didn't suffer much? I know that's little consulation, but he didn't suffer apparently. I really don't know what else to say! Those poor people! This is why I taught my dogs not to dash out the door no matter WHAT was on the other side!

((((Irish))))

Ok, I can not even imagine. My heart just aches...Im so sorry for the owner and for you having to see this. I worry about this all the time with my girls. If they manage to get out they run like the wind, like a deer down the street like crazy and have no fear or concept of cars. This is so sad. Big hugs to you and the little pup in heaven. :sad:

I am so sorry *hugs* to you. I know how you feel. I hit a dog with my car a few months ago and I felt terrible.....but there is nothing you could have done. Dogs just have no concept of danger especially when it comes to running in front of cars. Try not to be too upset about it though. I know it is hard.

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, that must have been awful! I can't even imagine. That's one of my biggest fears, especially with my younger dog because she's a bolter (always leashed or in our fenced-in yard, but accidents can still happen). Hang in there, sweetie...

So sorry you had to see that. I remember when I was like 14 seeing my neighbors golden retriever get killed by a car. I can still picture it to this day because it was so tramatizing to witness. I cried for days. The owners were very unresponsible to let it run around off a leash. I am a freak about that with my dogs. They cannot leave the inside of the house unless they are leashed. Its a risk I would never want to take.

Oh how awful.

Speedy - can I ask how you trained your dog not to run out?

It takes time and you must devote several weeks to it, start by having someone hold the dog on a leash while you open the door and the dog can see out, but can't go out while on the lead. Tell him/her to stay. (BTW, EVERY dog, no matter how little, should have a collar and leash or a harness and leash. Make sure they are in the harness or collar correctly when training!) After a few seconds, say "Okay!" in an upbeat voice and allow them to go out with you.

Keep doing this. Lengthen the time in which they need to stay, and then always reward them with a happy "OKAY!" so they can go out to you.

After a few weeks of this, instead of the leash, tie a heavy string or better yet, a light line, which can be as simple as a heavy duty strand of fishing line. The idea is for it to be very light so the pup thinks he's not restrained. Continue the same lesons...
Stay, Okay. If he tries to go through the doorway before you say Okay, pull back on the lead. This is where teaching your pup to "Sit" comes in handy... he can't Sit and Walk at the same time!

After you are positive he's got that down, introduce something that you think will make him break through the door, like another dog, someone else the dog likes, a toy... again, STAY! and when he does for the set amount of time, reward him with being able to go through.

Within about two months time, if you've done this right, he won't step through the doorway without the Okay from you. I think this is one of the most important things you can teach a small dog, since it will save their lives. My two will stand there at the threshold and watch what's going on, but unless I say Okay, they will not step one foot outside. This is really important, especially with my big dog. She LOVES kids, and there are lots of them around here, but some are scared of big dogs. It's nice to be able to open the door and not have to need to keep a 120 pound dog inside while I sign for something or chase off a salesman. :P

So sorry Irishgal. I just couldn't imagine and I'm sorry you had to see that and I'm sorry for the family and the dog who I hope is now in sweet, doggie heaven!

Speedy - I can't agree with you more. I have a pug and they are so hard to train, but I devoted so much time to her as a puppy so now I don't even need to walk her with a leash. She stays right by my side and even if I start to cross the street without saying the word, "Cross" she will just stand there and wait for me to give the word. And it's also true what you said about being able to leave your front door open on a sunny day. She just lounges in the sun on the porch and I don't have to worry about a thing.

Training is time-consuming and often very frustrating, but so worth it in the long run. A couple of months for a good 15 years of mostly worry free time is priceless.