Amy Winehouse's request for visa denied

elizabethk

Workin' on my tan!
Jul 25, 2006
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080207/ap_en_ot/grammys_winehouse;_ylt=Anld0xorGn_DwHux1F0H17kDW7oF

LONDON - Amy Winehouse will not attend this year's Grammy Awards because her request for a visa has been turned down by the U.S. Embassy, her representatives said Thursday.

b

The Outside Organization, which counts the troubled retro-soul sensation among its clients, said in an e-mail that Winehouse — who shot to fame with the autobiographical single "Rehab" — was disappointed but had been treated well by embassy staff.
"Amy has been progressing well since entering a rehabilitation clinic two weeks ago and although disappointed with the decision has accepted the ruling and will be concentrating on her recovery," the Outside Organization said.
The statement didn't say why her application was rejected. The U.S. Embassy in London declined to comment late Thursday. Shane O'Neill, Winehouse's spokesman, said he had nothing to add to the statement.
The 24-year-old singer and her acclaimed "Back to Black" album are nominated in six categories at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles on Sunday.
Her potent blend of blues, jazz, pop and soul has won praise from critics and fans, but her chaotic personal life has increasingly upstaged her music. Concerned family members regularly beg Winehouse to seek help in letters splashed across the pages of British tabloid newspapers and magazines.
Since the album's U.S. release last year, she has canceled a slew of appearances amid reports of drug use. Her husband, Blake Fielder-Civil, is accused of attacking a pub landlord and later conspiring with the landlord to have him withdraw as a witness at the trial.
Last month, The Sun newspaper ran still images from a video that it claimed showed Winehouse inhaling fumes from a small pipe. The images were said to have been filmed during a party at her London home.
Shortly thereafter, Winehouse entered a London rehabilitation center, and has been questioned by police.
In October, Winehouse and Fielder-Civil, were arrested in Norway on charges of marijuana possession, for which they were fined. In November, Winehouse's Norwegian attorney, Ole Kvelstad, said her payment of the fine amounted to a guilty plea, which he said could have serious consequences if she sought to enter the U.S.
Winehouse canceled an appearance at the 2007 mtvU Woodie Awards in November "due to visa issues."
Other British music acts have had difficulty securing visas. Lily Allen was scheduled to perform at the MTV Video Music Awards in September, but the pop star's immigration visa was revoked. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services hasn't commented, but her manager has said he suspected it was because Allen was arrested in London in June after an altercation with photographers.

As far as I've understood, most of the countries in the EU/Schengen are a part of the visa waiver program, but if somebody has something on their record like Amy does, they'll have to apply for a visa.

As far as I know, you don't need a visa if you are just going for a holiday. You do need a visa if you plan on working, or have a criminal record. I think she was convicted of possession in Norway

You need a visa if your country is not under the visa waiver program(27 countries if im not mistaken), and u definitely need a visa to work, and with all the crap Amy's been caught with/doing, i don't know if she'll be able to work in the States soon.

You had to have a visa to get into America because there is no other way.

I've been to the US and I know only had a passport and travel documents. No visa. Same with friends, family and work colleagues.

As far as I know, you don't need a visa if you are just going for a holiday. You do need a visa if you plan on working, or have a criminal record. I think she was convicted of possession in Norway

Thanks for clearing that up, I was only on the US for holiday and no more than a week. I wasn't sure if performing in the Grammy's would be considered "work" as I know some award bodies only give you swag bags for attending.

That's sad that she couldn't get a visa. I really wanted to see her perform at the Grammys. That would have been such a great moment for her. The Grammys are the biggest award show for music. I hope that she wins some awards. Her music is really good.

I think it's good she couldn't get a visa, she needs to know there are consequences to her actions. She has to be clean for more than 5mins to be rehabilitated and earn the privileges of a rehabilitated person