Negotiating Diamond Price - G in colourless range?!

claudette2

Jan 28, 2007
I'm negotiating the price of a loose diamond and the woman I'm working with (when I commented on the stone being G colour) told me that G is "definnitely in the colourless range". I was taken aback by that because every GIA cert I've ever read has defined G, H, I in the near-colourless range (and I've saved quite some money in the past buying G colour diamonds). What do you ladies think? Have you ever heard this before?

no, you're right, but G if an excellent cut will look pretty much colorless. Almost no one could tell and F from a G just by looking at it on your hand.

On most grading scales its classed as 'rare white',F is rare white + and above that is exceptional white,thats off the Scan.Dn chart,and they are all the same really. G is certainly not up into the the exceptional range,however it is very good,better than approx 60% of commercial goods available.But don't let that stop you negotiating a good price,diamonds have a silly mark up so give it a good go,as one poster,Vegas said most jewellers/retailers are feeling the squeeze at the moment,you can certainly use that to your advantage!!

I'm negotiating the price of a loose diamond and the woman I'm working with (when I commented on the stone being G colour) told me that G is "definnitely in the colourless range". I was taken aback by that because every GIA cert I've ever read has defined G, H, I in the near-colourless range (and I've saved quite some money in the past buying G colour diamonds). What do you ladies think? Have you ever heard this before?

A G is considered to be near colourless, however a G which is GIA lab graded will look colorless to most people, a great cut will help it to look better still. If the cut was excellent, I would buy a G or H very willingly, they are a good way to get a very white looking diamond without paying the premiums for a D or E. As to obtaining a discount, you can try and you may be successful if you are working with a B&M store rather than an online vendor, where price margins are very slim anyway.

If the Diamond you are looking at is GIA Certified, then it should follow the GIA Categorization which is what you have stated. :tup:
"D,E,F" is in the "Colourless" range and "G,H,I,J" is "Near Colourless".

Sure, it'll be hard for most people to differentiate a "G" from and "F" Colour, or even a "H" from an "I" colour, which is why I assume there's a need to sort them into different range(s). Afterall, it may be hard to differentiate an "E" from a "D" colour, but it gets easier when the colour is "F" and even more obvious when it is "G".....

So I agree! Bargain away!! :P