Has anyone used Google checkout? Do you recommend it as an Ebay seller?

Tookata

is a Mad Pursologist
Oct 29, 2007
I'm interested in signing up for Google Checkout. As a seller, I'm getting tired of Paypal superhigh fees, and as a buyer I despise their "trying to mislead buyer" transfer money option.

For example, when you want to transfer money to a seller using your credit card, you have to go to a confirmation page with an explanation why transferring money directly from your bank account is better, blah..blah..blah (of course they want your cash right away). And then there are these two buttons on the bottom of the page for you to click. The text in one button is in bold font whereas the other is in normal non-bold font. If you do not read the content of the page carefully, you would be inclined to click on the bold font button which will commit you to transfer the money directly from your bank account and there is no way to go back to correct it. I made this mistake once before:cursing:.

I think Paypal exploits the fact that readers tend to pay more attention to bold text and that's why they bold the text on that button in the hope that you would click on it so that they can get your money directly from your bank account. I think it's an unfair and perhaps even unethical practice for Paypal to do so. I wonder if it violates any law. Is there any lawyer on this forum who can answer this question?

If there are better methods for transferring or requesting money, I definitely go for it. Paypal and Ebay are so monopolized and we are the victims:s.

I use Google checkout and it have been great. Of course you have to add your bank account so they can deposit your money and the money can take up to a week to be posted in your checking account. Also when you start selling valuable items, you need to get verified and send you ID, proof of address, etc by fax. So far I have use Google checkout without any problems and they have a very secure way of credit card protection, so the buyer have to pass security to get approved, this is effective again chargebacks, etc. Also the buyer doesn't have to be a member to pay with them. Now PayPal in order to accept a credit card payment from a new buyer they have to wait until a week for the buyer to proof they are the legit owner of the card when they receive a #in their statement. You can avoid all these with google. I recommend it.

I still use PayPal but not for my valuable items.

That sounds attractive. Someone told me that Ebay bans Google Checkout because they fear the competition with Paypal. But apparently, you can use Google Checkout on Ebay now.

And the fees are also lower than Paypal, right?

I think I'm going to sign up with Google Checkout.

I don't say I accept google checkout, but credit cards thru my own merchant, when you select type of payments (Ebay hides it so you have to go to options) they have money orders, cashier check and once you go to options you also have merchant account, there you select visa, mc, amex. They were no fees before but I think they started this year with a 2% wich is still lower compared to the 4% of PayPal

I just pulled this up still shows as not accepted on Ebay:

Payment Services not permitted on eBay: AlertPay.com, anypay.com, AuctionChex.com, BillPay.ie, ecount.com, cardserviceinternational.com, CCAvenue, ecount, e-gold, eHotPay.com, ePassporte.com, EuroGiro, FastCash.com, Google Checkout, gcash, GearPay, Goldmoney.com, graphcard.com, greenzap.com, ikobo.com, Liberty Dollars, Moneygram.com, neteller.com, Netpay.com, paychest.com, payingfast.com, Payko.com, paypay, Postepay, Qchex.com, rupay.com, sendmoneyorder.com, stamps, Stormpay, wmtransfer.com, xcoin.com

Thanks a lot geniepr for the info!

Wow Ebay totally tries to conceal this option from the sellers, huh. I still believe that they are afraid of Google Checkout competition.

Payment Services not permitted on eBay: AlertPay.com, anypay.com, AuctionChex.com, BillPay.ie, ecount.com, cardserviceinternational.com, CCAvenue, ecount, e-gold, eHotPay.com, ePassporte.com, EuroGiro, FastCash.com, Google Checkout, gcash, GearPay, Goldmoney.com, graphcard.com, greenzap.com, ikobo.com, Liberty Dollars, Moneygram.com, neteller.com, Netpay.com, paychest.com, payingfast.com, Payko.com, paypay, Postepay, Qchex.com, rupay.com, sendmoneyorder.com, stamps, Stormpay, wmtransfer.com, xcoin.com

Oh, I'm confused now. Can I use Google Checkout on Ebay or not? :confused1:

Ebay don't accept any of PayPal's competition but they do have an option for own merchant account. I don't have PayPal listed in my auctions but I do have the visa/ mastercard/ amex as a form of payment. As soon as the auction is over just sent an invoice to the buyer, just mark the item paid as soon as the buyer completes the payment.

I see.

Can you have "Immediate Payment Required" option as in Paypal when you use your merchant payment option?

No, you can't because you have to send your google invoice to the buyer. I was also going to tell you to try auctiva.com for your listings. Is very easy to use and your listing would look great. :graucho:

You can also put in your auction to 'wait for invoice before paying'. However, I've had one buyer (a savvy one) refuse to use GoogleCheckout. So you should have Paypal as a backup!