random college stuff...

Renee720

Nov 30, 2007
so i must be in a talkative mood today. lol. this is my 3rd new tread today, whcih is alot for me. but anyways... im a senior in high school and have a few random question about college
-do you have to apply in advance to local community/city colleges?
-can/should you use scholarships at community colleges?
-what exactly is fafsa and does everyone get it?
-and how to afford college, even community????
maybe its just me but i have felt sooooo lost and out of it about future stuff, like college. like in movies they take the sats and a long time filling out college applications and i feel like no one has told me whats going on and what to do what when. last year my friend randomly metioned shes was going to take the sats, and i was like what so she told me all about them and i randomly took them, kinda just for fun, lol. and didnt study at all. then this year keep getting emails from collegeboard saying that i should be finishing applications, i was like what?! so im prob just going to the community one anyways becasue we cant afford anythingelse, but has anyone else ever felt this way, totally out of everything??:sad: and i still have no idea what i want to do....

Definitely talk to your high school counselor about all this, he/she knows this stuff, that is their job. Have you taken the PSAT or ACT yet? I know you mentioned you've taken the SAT, but took it for fun. What I recommend is studying for it very well, then taking it again, it is a very important test and many colleges look at your SAT score for admission purposes, so do take it seriously, also good scores on those tests could get you scholarships. I would really get the ball rolling on this, considering you are a senior in high school. The best thing to do is plan very soon to sit down with your counselor and discuss everything and where to start. Best of luck! Welcome to tPF!

so i must be in a talkative mood today. lol. this is my 3rd new tread today, whcih is alot for me. but anyways... im a senior in high school and have a few random question about college
-do you have to apply in advance to local community/city colleges?
-can/should you use scholarships at community colleges?
-what exactly is fafsa and does everyone get it?
-and how to afford college, even community????
maybe its just me but i have felt sooooo lost and out of it about future stuff, like college. like in movies they take the sats and a long time filling out college applications and i feel like no one has told me whats going on and what to do what when. last year my friend randomly metioned shes was going to take the sats, and i was like what so she told me all about them and i randomly took them, kinda just for fun, lol. and didnt study at all. then this year keep getting emails from collegeboard saying that i should be finishing applications, i was like what?! so im prob just going to the community one anyways becasue we cant afford anythingelse, but has anyone else ever felt this way, totally out of everything??:sad: and i still have no idea what i want to do....

- You don't need to really "apply" for community college. You just sign up for the classes. I have never gone to a community college, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't need to sign up far in advance for the classes relative to actual college classes.

- It depends on the scholarship. Some scholarships specify that they can only be applied to a four year college or university.

- FAFSA is a government form that determines your eligibility for non-merit-based scholarships and loans, although some merit-based scholarships (especially ones provided by the school themselves) will require you to submit your FAFSA information. This is something you should fill out no matter what.

- College can be very affordable, and furthermore, it's something worth investing in, even if you have to take out loans. A California State University (not University of California) costs significantly less than $10,000 a year. Private universities may cost upwards of $30,000, but they also offer excellent scholarships that aren't as readily available at public schools, so don't discount going to a private college.

I hate to say this since it was already done, but you should not have taken the SAT (unless you scored very well). It's not something to be taken "just for fun." How well did you do on the SAT? That's a part in what college you'll be able to transfer into after community college. If you didn't do well, take a SAT course and retake the SAT.

What state are you in? Some states, like Georgia (you should ask amanda about this for further info) will pay for your education at an in-state public school automatically if you graduated from a Georgia high school with a certain GPA or higher.

Best of luck!!!

You do have to "apply" for CC, but it's really just a form you have to fill out and submit. You can't register for classes until you do so (I'm currently taking a class through the local CC). I do agree that you're a little late if you wanted to consider a traditional four-year college, but just go to CC for a year and then apply to more next year. There's no reason you can't get scholarships and financial aid, especially if you have decent grades.

I would disagree about the SAT thing a bit, IntlSet- I took the SATs in 7th grade, and then again twice in 12th (obviously they were better in 12th). The only score that was looked at or submitted to any schools was the best one of the three. It's not a bad idea to practice, especially if you test badly. But I do agree that yes, Renee, take the SAT again anyway, and this time study. Even if it's not so high, if you get good grades in your CC classes, that'll give you a big boost next year if you apply to a four year school.

What state are you in? Some states, like Georgia (you should ask amanda about this for further info) will pay for your education at an in-state public school automatically if you graduated from a Georgia high school with a certain GPA or higher.

Best of luck!!!

you rang? :P

annie is right - depending on what state you're in, there are probably a variety of programs to help you pay for the college of your choosing if you're a good student. i currently attend the University of Georgia (one of the finest public institutions of higher learning in the country :tup:) and pay absolutely no tuition because i graduated high school with a 3.0 or higher GPA and chose to go to an in-state, public school. since college admissions are increasingly competitive, a lot of states are instituting similar programs in order to keep the best students from leaving the state to go to college. if you tell us where you live and a little about yourself, i'm sure someone here can give you some information or help you find scholarships or programs that would help you pay.

hey, thanks for seeming intrested everyone!
i live in ca. and i havent had the best grades (not horrible though, like only 2 d's on my transcript, with the rest a's, b's and c's) at my last school, but now, this year, im on ind study and going good. and i took a full schedule 10-11 grade that im going to be finished with all my credits like this month, except for my senior project. and my school graduates end of may. as for my sat scores... i know i should of studied, i did a bit... but i got: critical reading-450, math-510, writing-400, mc-44 and the essay a lowsy 4. but at least i took them! (i guess:s)
my teacher was saying since im going to be done early i shoud enroll in the community college near me, but my mom didnt really say much when i told her so im finding a job instead till i grad.

hey, thanks for seeming intrested everyone!
i live in ca. and i havent had the best grades (not horrible though, like only 2 d's on my transcript, with the rest a's, b's and c's) at my last school, but now, this year, im on ind study and going good. and i took a full schedule 10-11 grade that im going to be finished with all my credits like this month, except for my senior project. and my school graduates end of may. as for my sat scores... i know i should of studied, i did a bit... but i got: critical reading-450, math-510, writing-400, mc-44 and the essay a lowsy 4. but at least i took them! (i guess:s)
my teacher was saying since im going to be done early i shoud enroll in the community college near me, but my mom didnt really say much when i told her so im finding a job instead till i grad.

Renee, please don't take this the wrong way, but you should to take the SAT again if you plan to transfer to a four year college/university. I highly recommend taking a class if you can afford to, but they may be pricey (the one I took in high school several years ago ran over $1,000 but I bet there are cheaper options out there). Look into Princeton Review, Kaplan, etc. At the very least, buy yourself a SAT practice book. You're right, though, at least you had the initiative to take it in the first place!! Good for you, that's more than many people can say.

Enrolling in community college is a GREAT IDEA. Please don't get yourself an all-consuming job unless you really need one. There's no point in making minimum wage (or close to it) when you can be getting yourself an education. Plus, you can always work and go to community college, depending on how many classes you take.

My advice is: Go to the CC and talk to a counselor. Usually if you call the admissions dept and tell them you're interested in the school, they'll arrange a time you can come in, take a tour and get the paperwork filled out. I went with a friend to do this at the CC and she got enrolled on the spot! They can also help with FAFSA paperwork or at least point you in the right direction.

I think if you're kind of unsure about your plans, but you know you want to go to school, CC is the absolute best way to go! Your scores won't even matter once you have a college transcript... Just go to CC for 2 years, get good grades and you should be able to transfer right into a state school. And by the time you're ready to transfer, you'll have a better idea of what you want to do and you will have saved so much money! Some schools offer scholarships or grants for people who go this route as well. I honestly wish I had done this!

My advice is: Go to the CC and talk to a counselor. Usually if you call the admissions dept and tell them you're interested in the school, they'll arrange a time you can come in, take a tour and get the paperwork filled out. I went with a friend to do this at the CC and she got enrolled on the spot! They can also help with FAFSA paperwork or at least point you in the right direction.

I think if you're kind of unsure about your plans, but you know you want to go to school, CC is the absolute best way to go! Your scores won't even matter once you have a college transcript... Just go to CC for 2 years, get good grades and you should be able to transfer right into a state school. And by the time you're ready to transfer, you'll have a better idea of what you want to do and you will have saved so much money! Some schools offer scholarships or grants for people who go this route as well. I honestly wish I had done this!

SAT scores will always be viewed by colleges that one would apply to transfer into. But you're right, good grades will matter much more in two year's time.

My advice is: Go to the CC and talk to a counselor.

I TOTALLY AGREE! But of course, I'm a bit biased as you will soon see! ;)

Hi Renee - California Community College (CCC) Counselor chiming in!

1) Admission: Yes, you do need to apply and depending on where you are, and there is a matriculation process that all new students must follow. It includes your application, testing, orientation, and finally, registration. Check with your HS Counselor / Guidance Center. You may have a program with your local CC that does the Assessment Testing for Math and English placement at your HS Site. We do that with our local HS and seniors that participate get priority registration! Our college starts this process in February for the Fall term.

2) Financial Aid: CCC's have several funding sources. You can always submit the FAFSA (www.fafsa.ed.gov). You'll need your parents tax records from 2007, so ask them to at least fill out the info before March 2nd for the priority deadline. Your parents don't need to file their taxes until later, but you need the info from the 1040 for your financial aid forms.
You can receive federal, state, and local funding if you are eligible. All CCC's have a Board of Governor's Waiver (BOGG Grant) that will "waive" your $20 per unit fees if you qualify. You'll still need to pay the required health fee, parking, and books, but there are additional programs if you are the first in your family to attend college (Extended Opportunity Programs and Services / EOPS) that may provide help for that also.
Most colleges also have scholarship programs for new and continuing students. In many cases, with a March 2 deadline also.

3). All CCC's have a transfer agreement with the UC and CSU, where you can complete your general ed and lower-division major coursework and transfer in at the junior level at either system. Nearly all UC and CSU campuses admit at the junior level only. Check out the ASSIST.org website to explore campuses and majors, as well as what course-to-course equivalencies your local CC has with the universities. Most CC coursework is identical to the UC/CSU version, as faculty must work with each other across systems to get courses approved as equivalent. SAT's won't matter when you transfer as a junior. In California, transfer students are admitted on the strength of your college-level coursework and not high school courses or test scores. Most CCC's can also "guarantee" admission with appropriate gpa and coursework to 7 of 9 UC campuses (UCLA and Berkeley excluded).

As for cost after transfer: CSU campuses run about $2800/year for tuition, and UC's are about $7500.

4). Okay, that's alot of info for now, but visit your local CC and/or talk to your hs counselors for more help. You can ALWAYS PM me for more info - and if you're in SoCal (LA/OC area), heck, come by and visit !

SAT's won't matter when you transfer as a junior. In California, transfer students are admitted on the strength of your college-level coursework and not high school courses or test scores. Most CCC's can also "guarantee" admission with appropriate gpa and coursework to 7 of 9 UC campuses (UCLA and Berkeley excluded).

Wow, I find it shocking you don't need your SAT scores when you transfer from a community college. I transferred from one University of California to another University of California, and they definitely asked me for my SAT scores. I guess the standards for admission are different for community colleges. Definitely makes me think differently about a process I was already cynical about!

^ No, I think it is because when you are a junior at CC, you have obtained an associate's degree already. A lot of states have programs that they will take CC grads, but not specifications as to school choice. So, you may want state school A, but get school B when acceptance comes around.

Also, I think CC is fine. I think that if that is where you start, good for you. So many people did not do well in high school or on tests, but do great once they apply themselves. I really don't think CC is always easier or subpar than an actual university. I believe that it all depends on the quality of instruction and the time taken with students. I sat in on some awful classes at Univ. of FL when picking schools and also took CC classes in high school for fun. When I graduated high school, I had 40 credit hours. So, I took a good deal of courses to compare. IMO some of the CC classes had better instructors and content than the big state school did. It really just depends. However, I ended up at a private liberal arts when I graduated high school and I did feel that the content and instruction could not compare to the CC courses.

^ No, I think it is because when you are a junior at CC, you have obtained an associate's degree already. A lot of states have programs that they will take CC grads, but not specifications as to school choice. So, you may want state school A, but get school B when acceptance comes around.

Also, I think CC is fine. I think that if that is where you start, good for you. So many people did not do well in high school or on tests, but do great once they apply themselves. I really don't think CC is always easier or subpar than an actual university. I believe that it all depends on the quality of instruction and the time taken with students. I sat in on some awful classes at Univ. of FL when picking schools and also took CC classes in high school for fun. When I graduated high school, I had 40 credit hours. So, I took a good deal of courses to compare. IMO some of the CC classes had better instructors and content than the big state school did. It really just depends.

Thanks for clarifying. I also see nothing wrong with CC. It's a good transition for people who academically or financially aren't prepared for college.

Thanks for clarifying. I also see nothing wrong with CC. It's a good transition for people who academically or financially aren't prepared for college.

It's also a great alternative for those that have NO clue about what to study. There's much more flexibility to explore different areas without the higher cost and/or unit limits.

As for the SAT thing - you were probably asked because you were admitted as a freshman, and transferred from one UC to another and as such, still held to the freshman admit standards. Junior transfers from the CC are judged on their academic coursework in college-level courses, and not high school courses. Many admits hold a minimum 3.0, and are held to fairly rigorous coursework standards for admission - it's not the "back door" as many would perceive.

I have been through the curriculum approval process for my department, and each course must be submitted and reviewed by the UC and CSU Faculty to make sure that the CC content and standards for testing/grading are the exact same structure as the university course for it to be accepted as a transferable course. At times, the same books, tests, and other assignments are used - so technically, yes, the courses are identical. I know I transferred from a CC to a UC and my CC courses were just as challenging (often times more so) than the university level courses.

I think the big difference is that CC faculty have teaching as their primary responsibility, whereas the university faculty have a primary responsibility of research, and teaching is often secondary. It's a different focus and emphasis on student learning and achievement.