How many Coach mommies are SAHMs?

I marvel at my girlfriends who handle a corporate job with their kids and they look at me and wonder how I meet my deadlines with three kids underfoot and a husband that travels. We have a mutual respect for one another's efforts, because being a mother is hard enough without pitting one group against another.

^^Wonderful!!!

I have two kids. My son is 2.5 years old and my daughter is 6 months. I am a high school teacher and am able to have some flexibility with my schedule. When my son was born, I stayed home with him for one year and then went back to work half time (every other day) for one year. Luckily, I was fortunate enough to have my mom or MIL watch him on my work days. I had my daughter in June and have been off with both of them since then. I will return to work half time in May and June and then it is summer holidays. In September, I will go back half time. I wish that I could stay at home permanently with my kids but it is just not financially feasible at this point in our lives.

Stay at home wife here to two kids, boy and girl! Both school age, one is Autistic.

People ask me why I don't "get a job" I a Navy wife who has a deployed hubby so I am really the only parent they have now. And that fact at my son has high functioning autism might have something to do with it. Anyone else get flack for choosing to stay home?

I am an older, SAHM to 2 young ds. My second ds has regressive autism (PDD-NOS) and some other health issues. It's been consuming as SAHM but I'm really grateful that I can be home to make sure he and his older sibling are alright.

I have gotten flak -- in a different way -- this is astonishing but when I asked for help from family, I was told since I became a SAHM, it was my job to tend to the boys, even if one of my children was special needs, which meant I was watching him 24/7 without a break. OTOH, my SIL who worked, managed to get BOTH sets of grandparents to babysit her children full time. The reason? Because she is not a "SAHM" :shrugs: Could this really be logical?

I'm a stay at home mom. My daughter is 4 years old now. I worked the first 2 years after she was born so we are enjoying our time together now.

Love your black tote...I've admired it before when it was being sold on Ebay...I like small compact totes...Just don't have any of my own...

My boys are 10 yrs. old and 7 yrs. old...I haven't worked outside the home since I was pregnant with my oldest and had complications. I did volunteer in the school. BUT...I'm dealing with a school issue right now. And I'm not volunteering at the moment. But am heading up a parent counsil for the entire district. We're having a serious bully issue in our school. I have been in contact with our superintendant. And I am pushing for a No Tolerance Policy towards bullys. And am forming a parent council with parents on it from each building in our district on it. And keeping on top of it to see it being enforced...The things going on in our school is horrible...I may be a SAHM...But I mean business! And this week the local paper had my letter to the editor about what's going on and such...It took up an entire half a page! I've got wonderful feedback from parents already...And heartbreaking news of what other children are having to cope with and not getting any support from the school staff...I am a mommy on a mission~

Here's a picture of my boys...

Attachments

• IMG1181_183 (2).jpg
    IMG1181_183 (2).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 19
I am an older, SAHM to 2 young ds. My second ds has regressive autism (PDD-NOS) and some other health issues. It's been consuming as SAHM but I'm really grateful that I can be home to make sure he and his older sibling are alright.

I have gotten flak -- in a different way -- this is astonishing but when I asked for help from family, I was told since I became a SAHM, it was my job to tend to the boys, even if one of my children was special needs, which meant I was watching him 24/7 without a break. OTOH, my SIL who worked, managed to get BOTH sets of grandparents to babysit her children full time. The reason? Because she is not a "SAHM" :shrugs: Could this really be logical?

((((HUGS)))) I am sorry that your family don't see the need to give you a free moment...Your an AWESOME mom I can tell...If they would but watch your children one day...They might see the need to relieve you from time to time...I worked with MRDD before I had children...It can be challanging at times...But so rewarding as well...That the child is your blood...Makes it even that more special of a bond you have with your child with disablities. I know I had some real heart string pullers when I worked...I still miss them...:crybaby:

This is such BS! It makes me so mad when people do not understand that being a SAHM is the hardest job in the world...even more when you have a child with health issues. BIG HUGS TO YOU!!!!!! You are a WONDERFUL mom! :angel:

Not Logical at ALL!!!! My OLD friends use to want me to babysit their kids but they always claimed my Autistic son was too hard or they didn't know how to deal with him!! Made me SO mad!!!!! I feel your pain girl!!!

I was a stay at home Mom for 13 years, then a year ago I started working some part time since my kids were getting older and more independent. Our daughter is now 14 and our son 12 and I am still working part time for now. Luckily I've always had a lot of support
from family.

Linda

I've answered your question in a private message.

Thanks again for the PM, and the other thread was... wow. It was not something I'd ever expect from tPF, and especially the Coach forum.

I read that if a family were to outsource the labor (factoring both quantity and quality) that a SAHM contributes for free, it would cost $100,000 annually in a metropolitan area. Food for thought!

rainrowan and kimmi,

I'm sending you big hugs. I cannot say I understand the demands of taking care of kids with special needs, but I hope that you are able to find small pockets of time to take care of yourselves as well. I know that you do these things gladly and willingly; that said, I'm willing to bet you don't give yourselves much time off.

rainrowan...I'm very sad for you that your family does not appreciate the demands you handle and do not provide the support. I also think they are losing out by not getting to spend time with their amazing grandchildren.

Kimmi---SIX BOYS? You rock. My twins are boys, and I have so much fun with them but am PLUM WORN OUT by the time they go to bed! I imagine you are a special lady to handle that crew!

Love your black tote...I've admired it before when it was being sold on Ebay...I like small compact totes...Just don't have any of my own...

My boys are 10 yrs. old and 7 yrs. old...I haven't worked outside the home since I was pregnant with my oldest and had complications. I did volunteer in the school. BUT...I'm dealing with a school issue right now. And I'm not volunteering at the moment. But am heading up a parent counsil for the entire district. We're having a serious bully issue in our school. I have been in contact with our superintendant. And I am pushing for a No Tolerance Policy towards bullys. And am forming a parent council with parents on it from each building in our district on it. And keeping on top of it to see it being enforced...The things going on in our school is horrible...I may be a SAHM...But I mean business! And this week the local paper had my letter to the editor about what's going on and such...It took up an entire half a page! I've got wonderful feedback from parents already...And heartbreaking news of what other children are having to cope with and not getting any support from the school staff...I am a mommy on a mission~

Here's a picture of my boys...

What cuties!

I read that if a family were to outsource the labor (factoring both quantity and quality) that a SAHM contributes for free, it would cost $100,000 annually in a metropolitan area. Food for thought!
That food for thought is a gourmet dish. It further validates the true assessment of women (who are often underrated) both inside and outside the home.