Make up hater falls in love with Bare Escentuals!!!

EmilyK

Somewhat in control
Jan 7, 2007
I rarely post on this forum because I'm not a big make up person.

Nonetheless, I had to share that I love Bare Escentuals.

I bought their Bare Minerals Starter Kit thinger at Sephora for $60 a few weeks ago, and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made.

P116619_hero.jpg

I definitely have problem skin. I'm on acne meds, and have flare ups once in a while. I have oily skin, too. This stuff not only provides excellent coverage - it's practically invisible (can't say the same for my old brand - Mac) and Mineral Veil keeps me shine free ALL DAY. I was really skeptical when I opened it up... I wondered how this "powder" was going to work as foundation. I'm not sure how, but it definitely works. It goes on like powder but turns out more like a cream almost.

I highly recommend this stuff. So far I just have this starter kit. Any other BE lovers out there that can recommend any of their other stuff?

I adore this line! I started using it a few months ago and it's the BOMB!!! I've recommended it to all my friends. I've only used the Medium Tan in my starter kit, though, and no other items. It's the best thing I've ever purchased, and I'm far from a makeup person.

Be careful about using BE and you have acne. It contains Bismuth Oxychloride as a main ingredient. With BE you 'buff' the product into your face, which pushes the Bismuth Oxychloride into your pores (which, for people with acne, or a history of acne prone skin can irritate skin and cause acne flareups). In my case, I used BE for a few weeks, and had no problems. I noticed that sometimes my face would itch, and I thought nothing of it since BE is supposed to be all natural. I should have taken the warning since not long afterwards I got cystic acne--those deep, large painful acne bumps (and I am faaar from my teen years). The Bismuth Oxychloride irritated my skin and caused a relapse of my cystic acne. Once I stopped using BE my skin cleared up--but cystic acne takes a longer time to heal since the sores are larger--NOT fun. Just a warning from someone who has acne-prone skin and had problems with BE. Otherwise I think it would have been a wonderful foundation since it is so easy to apply since it is not a liquid. So, if your face starts to itch, it's getting irritated by the Bismuth Oxychloride. Sorry not to have a glowing review on this. I do love the lipglosses from this line though!!

^ Thanks for that info!

It hasn't been itchy at all yet. I'll keep an eye out for those symptoms, though!

The dermo said my acne is caused by high levels of bacteria in my body or something --- and not so much what's going on on the outside. I don't know if that makes a difference.

As a side note -- what other foundations go on in a similar manner but without that ingredient? (Powder-like, not liquids... I hate liquid foundation!)

That is a great purchase! Those kabuki and concealer brushes have REALLY come in handy for me! My favorite BE products are the All-Over Face Colors in True and Clear Radiance, which I use as blush. I bought a kit awhile ago that had a bunch of different All-Over colors (I'm pretty sure they used to be called Glimmers), a blush-type brush and a lip color. I love the kits so I look for deals and codes and buy them on sale. They end up being a really good deal! :tup:

I love Bare Minerals too. It's the only foundation I can use. I'm not very good with foundation and most other brands end up looking weird on me since I have oily skin. I don't like the mineral veil powder though. Instead, I use MAC blot powder. If you want more Bare Escentuals products, I recommend the blush and eyebrow powder. Both look very natural. I'm not very good with doing my eyebrows but the powder is easy to use and looks natural.

I tried it and did not like it. Just didn't like the way it felt on my face and I was not impressed with the way it looked.
My friend just started using it and she looks terrible. I am not going to be the one to say that because she loves the stuff. Her face looks like she put clown makeup on. Maybe she just does not have the technique down right or the colors wrong. To me it ages her face and her face looks super dry. I really hoped it would work for me, especially since you can get a kit and have all your makeup in one kit. It seems either you love it or hate it.

^ How is she applying it?

Before I bought the starter kit with brushes I was using sponges and it looked awful, like I had a mask on. The key I think (besides finding the right shade) is to buff it on really lightly with a soft fluffy brush so it looks natural. It's so light-reflective that a little bit goes a long way!

Glad to hear you like it! I have oily skin myself and have been reluctant to try it because I heard it wasn't very good for oilies. And because I just bought a Chanel foundation compact LOL. I'd love for you to keep us updated! If it works well for you I might just give it a shot when I finish my Chanel.

Hmm this makes me want to try it even more now! I was going to get some from sephora during the f&f event but had heard some bad stuff about it so didn't. My foundation right now is Mac Studio Fix (the liquid kind), which gives me great coverage and looks FANTASTIC in photos but a bit heavy IRL. I also wear Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer when I'm lazy but it makes me super oily, which I haaaate. I'm going to go to Sephora and see if anyone can put some on me to see if I like it. Thanks for the info!

I tried it and did not like it. Just didn't like the way it felt on my face and I was not impressed with the way it looked.
My friend just started using it and she looks terrible. I am not going to be the one to say that because she loves the stuff. Her face looks like she put clown makeup on. Maybe she just does not have the technique down right or the colors wrong. To me it ages her face and her face looks super dry. I really hoped it would work for me, especially since you can get a kit and have all your makeup in one kit. It seems either you love it or hate it.

/\/\/\

My friend as well...it makes her look really dry and old-looking up close...I don't want to say anything cause she likes it as well, but when I look at her face, it makes me NOT want to buy it

I'm still undecided about them....I was hoping to use Laura Mercier, but not enough color shades

I've heard many negative things too about Jane Iredale, so I don't know what other brand to try :confused1:

Be careful about using BE and you have acne. It contains Bismuth Oxychloride as a main ingredient. With BE you 'buff' the product into your face, which pushes the Bismuth Oxychloride into your pores (which, for people with acne, or a history of acne prone skin can irritate skin and cause acne flareups). In my case, I used BE for a few weeks, and had no problems. I noticed that sometimes my face would itch, and I thought nothing of it since BE is supposed to be all natural. I should have taken the warning since not long afterwards I got cystic acne--those deep, large painful acne bumps (and I am faaar from my teen years). The Bismuth Oxychloride irritated my skin and caused a relapse of my cystic acne. Once I stopped using BE my skin cleared up--but cystic acne takes a longer time to heal since the sores are larger--NOT fun. Just a warning from someone who has acne-prone skin and had problems with BE. Otherwise I think it would have been a wonderful foundation since it is so easy to apply since it is not a liquid. So, if your face starts to itch, it's getting irritated by the Bismuth Oxychloride. Sorry not to have a glowing review on this. I do love the lipglosses from this line though!!

Wow, thanks for the info... My face and neck have been itching a lot lately, and I haven't been able to figure out why, maybe this is it?
does anyone know if Everyday Minerals contains that ingredient as well?

I got itchy too. I changed to the neutrogena version of BE and have been much happier. Physicians Formula was itchy as well.

^ How is she applying it?

Before I bought the starter kit with brushes I was using sponges and it looked awful, like I had a mask on. The key I think (besides finding the right shade) is to buff it on really lightly with a soft fluffy brush so it looks natural. It's so light-reflective that a little bit goes a long way!

The first time I used BE I had the "mask" look as well. The salesgirl told me to exfoliate, which I did and the "mask" went away. But the itchies didn't. My sister uses BE and itches too.