Do you feel sorry for bidders or not?

When I see fake items being sold on ebay that the sellers claim are "100% authentic" but are fakes, part of me feels sorry for the people bidding on them, but part of me thinks they "deserve" it (for lack of a better word) because they should do their research beforehand, and it's their own fault for not doing so.

I reported a pair of Chanel sunglasses that looked like the real things for the most part except the numbers/letters on the inside of the arms were WAY off and they didn't have "Chanel" or the serial number on the lenses. The sunglasses had 4 days left when I reported them, but weren't taken down, and the bidding ended at $250. I felt bad for the winning bidder because she left feedback saying they were authentic and gorgeous- then I looked at items she'd bought and a lot of them were pretty good fakes that had minor details missing or different from the real deal- but she paid a lot of money for them! Another thing is when people resell things they bought off of ebay and say "Bought on ebay, used for a year, seller said they were 100% authentic and I know they are!" but they're not. People must believe them because they bid!

I think a lot of buyers really are that naive! I generally feel sorry for them, but I'm just curious as to what everyone's thoughts on this are. Do you feel sorry for the buyer, or think it's their own fault?

I feel sorry for them. A lot of people don't have stores around where they could go and verify the details of items. Or, if they do, they don't know what to check on the item in the retail store -- some of the details are, as you say, minor, so if a person doesn't know that's one of the distinguishing marks, they may not even notice it and realize they should compare it. Finally, it's pretty tough to get the exact numbers, etc. to compare unless you buy the item. I mean, I could never go into NM, ask to look at Chanel glasses and remember the numbers on the arms or write them down, so I'd end up walking out vaguely remembering what the details were supposed to be...not much to rely on. I think we all need to help each other out and try to get these fakes off eBay altogether!

^ Good point! I can't remember sunglasses numbers either, but I found a website that posts pictures of all angles of their sunglasses, including the arms, so I just make sure the numbers match up from there. Plus I have a few I've bought in the stores to compare them to. I also think that some people wholeheartedly believe the item they have is real, so they post it as 100% authentic. But this forum definitely helps me out :yes: I guess the only time I don't completely feel sorry for the bidder/buyer is when the item doesn't even look close/convincing. I just want to email them and let them know- stupid ebay rules!

^ Good point! I can't remember sunglasses numbers either, but I found a website that posts pictures of all angles of their sunglasses, including the arms, so I just make sure the numbers match up from there. Plus I have a few I've bought in the stores to compare them to. I also think that some people wholeheartedly believe the item they have is real, so they post it as 100% authentic. But this forum definitely helps me out :yes:

I agree, plus the bidder now thinks their new purchase is 100% authentic and might sell it down the line. Ebay has become a giant portal of crud :sad:

I think some people never think that something on eBay maybe fake, I mean they think eBay somehow monitors listing, LMAO!! Yeah right. I talk to so many people who think it's all real and others who run from eBay b/c they are so afraid of fakes. My little sister bought a fake coach on eBay, it broke my heart to tell her it was fake since it had been a while since she had purchased the bag, so I said nothing, instead I told to run anything she was considering by me first. She emailed me the other day asking about a Kitchen Aid mixer, wanting to make sure it wasn't a fake. Now she is totally paranoid! I'd rather have her paranoid than clueless.

I just sent a message to a winner of a fake last week. I simply told her to get her recent wins authenticated on the rbay discussion boards or here at tPF. She emailed me and I took it from there to inform her. She has filed a dispute with Paypal. She is a very nice gal, with a young baby, I remember how clouded my judgement was when I lacked sleep those 1st few months with my kids.

If you see someone spend a lot of money on a fake, just send them an invitation to the eBay discussion boards.
Cheers

I totally feel sorry for them - we can't (and shouldn't have to) be experts on everything we ever buy. :nogood:

Although it is always preferable to do one's research, it is the seller's legal responsibility to be honest about what they sell and to not break the law by selling fakes.

The unwitting buyer is completely blameless, IMO. :yes:

I just sent a message to a winner of a fake last week. I simply told her to get her recent wins authenticated on the rbay discussion boards or here at tPF. She emailed me and I took it from there to inform her. She has filed a dispute with Paypal. She is a very nice gal, with a young baby, I remember how clouded my judgement was when I lacked sleep those 1st few months with my kids.

If you see someone spend a lot of money on a fake, just send them an invitation to the eBay discussion boards.
Cheers

:tup:

I've done the same with invitations to tPF. :yes:

I warned bidders before Ebay changed things. Sometimes I got a "thank you" and most times I got no response. I sometimes assumed it was the seller's other accounts and they were bidding their own stuff "up".

Then, the last time I tried to warn someone, I got an email stating "thanks for your concern, I don't mind so much if it's fake, as long as I get a good deal".

I gave up and now just report fakes to Ebay. Sometimes that seems futile too.

I warned bidders before Ebay changed things. Sometimes I got a "thank you" and most times I got no response. I sometimes assumed it was the seller's other accounts and they were bidding their own stuff "up".

Then, the last time I tried to warn someone, I got an email stating "thanks for your concern, I don't mind so much if it's fake, as long as I get a good deal".

I gave up and now just report fakes to Ebay. Sometimes that seems futile too.
had a similiar experience, so I stopped too. I also know there are people who are willing to pay $$ for a fake. My gf bought a fake paddy for $300 on ebay (and she is the one who made me aware of existance of paddy, ironic, isn't it?) and thought that it was well worth it. I thought she was crazy spending that kinda of money on a fake bag. Guess everyone's value system is different.

I do feel bad for them especially when the bid is up to like $400 and it is so obviously fake!! I normally report to ebay since a lot of auctions keep the highest bidder information private.

I do feel sorry for them. It is unfortunate that there are crooks out there that are just waiting to rip people off. I guess that you live and learn and hopefully do your research next time. I wish that ebay would do more to prevent this from happening.

I used to feel sorry for buyers until I did a search on the internet for authenticity tips and found that there are TONS of websites and forums dedicated to them! The resources are out there, people just need to use them. JMO.

I feel sorry for those who bidding on an expensive fake, because I think they believe that it's real, but I don't feel sorry for folks who are bidding on $99 Goyard totes or $300 Balenciagas. You don't have to know all the details to know that those deals are way too good to be true. I think those people know that they are bidding on fakes.

I feel sorry for them too, having been a victim once myself. The scammer's story was so convincing and I had not yet discovered TPF and I never realized people could stoop so low and lie without conscience like that.

Also alot of people do not have stores near them and with so many of the better fakes, you really have to have experience to tell the difference. That is how these thieves get the good feedback, people have never seen the real deal.... It is a very sad state of affairs.

Sometimes if it's cheap, yes. Other times, I see people bidding $200 and up nearly to retail for certain bags (i.e. the LV Speedy) that are obviously fake. That's when I stop feeling sorry for them.