Something lighthearted...

blueberryjam

More Coffee Please!
O.G.
Nov 24, 2007
Warning: irreverent post ahead :sweatdrop:

I remember reading about the different ways people pronounced Hermes. Here's a lil' contribution....

Was having a nice time catching up with my brother over dinner and the topic turned to Hermes. I was going Hermes this, Hermes that, Hermes lalala and my brother nodded and seemed to know what I was talking about.
Until he asked, "And what's this brand named after?"
"One of the gods in the Greek pantheon," I replied
*Pregnant Pause* :idea:
"Oh! You mean HURMS!"

:roflmfao:

:roflmfao:

Sometimes DH and I squeal 'Hermeeeez!!!' but it's more of an inside joke than anything...haha...
but my friend doesn't think I pronounce Hermes 'French' enough :cry:

My DH, who speaks french fluently and w/o an accent, likes to go to the H store and pronounce Hermes, colors, leathers, etc purposely wrong to see what reaction he gets!! I want to kick him when he does this!!

My DH, who speaks french fluently and w/o an accent, likes to go to the H store and pronounce Hermes, colors, leathers, etc purposely wrong to see what reaction he gets!! I want to kick him when he does this!!

This guy's a keeper, Sus. Sounds like life with him is alot of fun.

This thread is soo funny
Yesterday I called UK website customer services. The SA said "
hermes".(with the H)
I was like OMG, and I sort of questioned her a little about correct pronounciation, and she said they were instructed to say "ermes" and not to pronounce the H.
I had to laugh, she said it all depends on her mood , as to how she pronounces it.

ARRGH :noggin:, it's exactly the same with mine :wacko: silly :heart:

This thread is soo funny
Yesterday I called UK website customer services. The SA said "
hermes".(with the H)
I was like OMG, and I sort of questioned her a little about correct pronounciation, and she said they were instructed to say "ermes" and not to pronounce the H.
I had to laugh, she said it all depends on her mood , as to how she pronounces it.

Reminds me of Eliza Dolittle in My Fair Lady, saying, "In 'Artford, 'Ereford and 'Ampshire, 'urricanes 'ardly Hever 'appen." Wonder what she would have called Hermes??!!
:smile:

My husband will never be able to pronounce Hermes, lol, he's still calling my Birkin Bukkin!!

:roflmfao: So cute!

Sus, you are not alone on the husband front, by the way--mine also has a perverse sense of humor and likes to mangle the names of Hermes items at the boutique as well. The funny part is that although he isn't a French speaker, he's fully aware of not only their correct names and pronunciations, but the full complement of leathers, colors, sizes, etc. What can I say, he listens well, and I've been yapping about this for our entire relationship. :P
He actually referred to a Troika bag last week as "the thing with the hair on it" in full earshot of my SA. :wtf: Thank goodness she's pretty easygoing!!