Would you sell a bag your DH/SO gave you?

daniela127

O.G.
Feb 6, 2007
My boyfriend has given me three bags in the past few years, and two of them have got to go. One of them I haven't worn in a year, and one of them I found a replacement for. But, I know he's going to be upset. My argument is that he always complains about how many bags I have and never wear, and doesn't he want me to have the things I want? But I think either way he's going to be upset when he finds out what I've done (I've already put them on ebay...:angel:. I figure he'll get over it eventually, and I'll get to keep the new bags for life.)

Does anyone else have any experience with this? How did you deal with it? Or am I just an awful girlfriend for doing this?

I wouldn't dare. Think Dh would divorce me or ban me from ever having another bag!!!! Also they do have sentimental value for me (well one of them does!)
I was going to suggest talking to him about it before doing it but seeing as they are already on e-bay it's a bit late for that! Good Luck!

Back in my Dooney days many moons ago, my SO gave me a All-Weather Leather large drawstring bag. I used it and loved it like a baby. I've been over Dooney for years. The bag is still sitting in my closet in a dustbag like new. I thought of selling it but didn't have the courage. I've now moved on to LV but that Dooney stays in my closet.

Personally no I wouldn't. Although I can understand what you are saying. I'm super sentimental so I hang on to everything my husband gives me. :love:

I'm with Dolly. He started this whole handbag obsession, so my gifts from him are special and I could never part with them. I bring out my first Coach bag he gave every now and then and have fond memories when I use it. :girlsigh:

Speaking as a divorce lawyer........ DON'T DO IT!!!! Unless you want to give your excess spendable income TO ME.

Speaking as a somewhat intuitive human, if you sell gifts he gave you, he may reconsider ever giving you gifts. It's one thing if he gives you a gift and you don't like it. At the time that happens, you can give him an excuse, like - "I already have so many black bags" - or - "It's a satchel, but I'm only comfortable carrying shoulder bags." You let him know how much you appreciate the time he spent picking it out for you, and then nicely suggest that perhaps you and he can return it together and shop for a replacement. He'll probably suggest that you find the replacement yourself, but then he'll feel included, and his feelings aren't as likely to be hurt...and maybe he'll learn a little more about your taste for future purchases.

I must admit, I've thought of selling the bags that my boyfriend has given me. However, that urge quickly passes when I think, "would I like it if he sold a gift that I've given him?" Yea, I don't think that would go over to well with me :cursing: But if you feel that your boyfriend would be understanding then go for it. Best of luck

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to sell one that my BF bought for me. I know the kind of shopper he is and if he thought I didn't like something he got for me, he would be really really upset.

That being said, he would never dare get me a bag, if anything he would give me the money for one...like he says "you are the one that knows about fashion"

lol

Personally no I wouldn't. Although I can understand what you are saying. I'm super sentimental so I hang on to everything my husband gives me. :love:

I guess I'm just not that sentimental a person. I would never sell something like my engagement ring or jewelry, but handbags are different for me I guess.

Anyway, it's already done, so hopefully it'll be easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. I think the lesson I've learned from this is that I shouldn't ask my boyfriend to buy handbags for me anymore...

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to sell one that my BF bought for me. I know the kind of shopper he is and if he thought I didn't like something he got for me, he would be really really upset.

That being said, he would never dare get me a bag, if anything he would give me the money for one...like he says "you are the one that knows about fashion"

lol

Well...he didn't pick out the bag, he just gave me money for it. Does that change things? I hope so!

Ask yourself this question. Would I be OK with him selling gifts I picked out and bought just for him so he can buy himself something "better"?

If you can't honestly answer yes, then why would you do that to a person you supposedly care about?

My SO told me that if I ever sold one of the bags he got me, he'd never buy me another bag again. That applies to all of his major gifts. Being a practical woman, I've always bought and sold my bags. You can really only use so many bags, so I've always sold the ones I stopped using to fund the new ones. But now that SO is buying the bags, I can't. Of course, with SO buying the bags, funding the new one is no longer an issue.

Good luck!

I feel like the last two posts, I wouldn't sell my jewerly, but my hubby gives me money for holidays and if I decided to sell one of my bags. He would not care. I guess I am married a longgggggggg time...lol

I wouldn't do it ... just like I wouldn't want him to sell something I gave him. Everything my hubby gave me holds a sentimental value, because I know he took the time, to buy something for me.

I wouldn't. My boyfriend bought me a Coach bag which isn't my style at all but I just tell him that I love it, and carry it once in a while so that he doesn't get suspicious! I think it would hurt his feelings if I sold it.