Adrianne Curry doesn't care for BET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2006
http://blackvoices.aol.com/blogs/2007/09/22/adrianne-curry-doesnt-care-for-bet-or-blacks/

Oh my goodness ...

Where do I even begin on this one?

Former Top Model winner Adrianne Curry decided to share her thoughts about BET and Black History Month to the world,
curry.jpg
via her MySpace blog.

And you guys think some of the things that I say are reckless ...

This woman has lost her mind.

Some highlights of her rant include:

Yes, I get it. Black people were slaves here once. You know what? That does suck some major balls, however, it is time to move the f@#$ on.

So, I will no longer tune into BET. This is going to suck, but I do NOT like the idea of having a channel for only 1 race. In the year 2007 in a country that is supposed to be the most advanced and equal. This is unexceptable

Lets change Black History Month to 2 months of AMERICAN HISTORY. We will still learn about all the black leaders and people who made a difference....just not with the racist name of "Black History Month". It has to start somewhere.

You can read her entire rant after the jump.
This screams of "Hey, world, look at me. I need some attention because I'm married to a Brady."

Thoughts?

How dare we have Black History Month! In my eyes, the Native Americans deserve it MUCH more, seeing how we destroyed their ENTIRE SOCIETY. There are hardly any of them left! They also have been proven to have the WORST living conditions on their reservations. I want AN AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH. One where we learn about EVERY race, ALL OF OUR LEADERS, EVERYONE! I think by having a month dedicated to one race, and not one for any other, is RACIST. Every fund set up to only help people of one race is SICK and RACIST.
Yes, I get it. Black people were slaves here once. You know what? That does suck some major balls, however, it is time to move the f@#@ on. Do we hear the Jews crying that they were made slaves for thousands of years? Do we hear them whine that they should OWN the pyramids in Egypt because THEY broke their backs making them? Do we hear them b*&@* and moan about Hitler, etc? (my hubby is a Jew)Nope, we dont. It's time for us to UNITE AS ONE. I do not think that singling out one race, giving one race opportunities to go to college (I know a TON of poor white.asian, indian, american indian, etc etc that could use that too!), giving one race the EXCUSE to blame things on others for being whatever nationality they are, is a good way at making sure we NEVER kill racism.
I am over this s#@%. WE ALL CAME FROM ONE BLACK WOMAN FROM AFRICA, THAT is our EVE! It has been proven by science, and I stand by it. If any other race had a chanel dedicated to just them, we would think it was racist. If any other race demanded a month be set aside for ONLY them, they would be considered racist. I am NOT living by this double standard any longer.
Think I am racist? I am not. I know what racism is. I dated a guy named "Justin" in Junior high. Nothing serious, but I really liked him. He was the blackest of black...BEAUTIFUL skin, kinda like Alex Wek's. He was handsome, and athletic, etc. I was called a n**** lover. But you know what? I was called that by a whole 2 people out of a school with HUNDREDS of students. THAT is why I am NOT buying this racist **** anymore. Let us teach or children that there is NO DIFFERENCE! We are all human. I hope one day aliens land and try to kill us. Maybe THEN we would finally realize that WE are ONE.
So, I will no longer tune into BET. This is going to suck, but I do NOT like the idea of having a chanel for only 1 race. In the year 2007 in a country that is supposed to be the most advanced and equal. This is unexceptable! I will also no longer acknowledge Black History Month. Instead, I will see it the way that Morgan Freeman does (I have the quote at the bottom of my last blog on *****/jesseJackson, and OJ). AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH! I will read/watch/and learn about ALL the people who made a difference in this country.
I am asking you ALL to join me. Black, White, Indian, Asian, Russian, Australian, etc etc.....lets be AMERICANS together! What happened to the African American community was AMERICAN HISTORY, not BLACK HISTORY. If you want to celebrate in a way that excludes others and singles one race out, count me the F$#@ out! I am soooo proud to be an American. I am SO proud that I have friends of every race, and none of us see each other as anything but what we are..people. Lets change Black History Month to 2 months of AMERICAN HISTORY. We will still learn about all the black leaders and people who made a difference....just not with the racist name of "Black History Month". It has to start somewhere. I am going to do my part in making sure we are all treated EQUAL in a country that CLAIMS we are. NO MORE SPECIAL TREATMENT FOR ANYONE WITH ANYTHING!
It will never happen. At least, that is what many of you will say...FINE! My number one priority here is being able to die and know that I stood up for what I believed in, and that I did not add to the SEPERATION OF AMERICANS!! I love my country, I love the people in it. I love our history, good and bad. We should LEARN from it,not dwell in it and not move forward. That's why I am done with this ****. You are all my brothers and sisters.....even if I think you suck ; ) As Bono said, "One life, with each other..sisters...brothers!"
now, have fun burning me at the stake ; )

*slaps forehead* some people are just honest-to-god idiots.

if american schools and american entertainment included anything but a white perspective, we wouldn't NEED black history month or BET. until they do, we still do. and it's sad that we still do.

and even i, as a white girl from a white area, can figure that out.

*slaps forehead* some people are just honest-to-god idiots.

if american schools and american entertainment included anything but a white perspective, we wouldn't NEED black history month or BET. until they do, we still do. and it's sad that we still do.

and even i, as a white girl from a white area, can figure that out.
Amanda, you are so right. I appreciate the fact that you recognize this. I wish others did. :flowers:

Oh, dear, my crystal ball tells me this is going to get out of hand.

I'm a race eliminativist, so I agree with doing away with institutional recognition of the concept of race (at least, this is part of what I think she's trying to say, if rather inarticulately and inelegantly). But the rub comes from the fact that she seems to think that only black Americans (not "AAs," I'm not a hyphenated American, screw that) want to be and are on the receiving end of special/preferential treatment. That's ignorant, IMO.

no I think she's actually missing the point. And we do have a month set aside for Native Americans. We have all kinds of months set aside. We even have a Breast Cancer month. Does that mean we discriminate against all other types of cancer and other diseases? lol
Well, I do agree about the Black History month as there is a lot of history with that topic. What I do agree with her is I read this before, and she stated about how it is unfair to have the college funds especially for African Americans. I remember when taking those PSATs, etc., there was a box that you could check if you were African American to participate in getting scholarships. I don't understand that one bit, there are many people of other races who would like to go to college, too. Honestly, the way America is about race, if there was a Native American college fund only, everyone would be on top of that, imo. Also, in her original comment, she stated a lot more things that I really found making sense.
I honestly wish that all races would blend together in America. Everyone separates the races too much, and there is so much racial tension going on. It makes me sick.
I forsee that this thread is going to get way out of hand.

http://www.adriannemcurry.com/blog/?p=15 Here is the originial writing. If you click "next post" she discusses more. A lot seems to be edited out of the original post, so I provided the link. Also, the link posted is a rather one-sided view considering it is a "black voices" blog.

I don't think Adrianne's a racist, but I find it very amusing that she thinks that we are going to be convinced of that fact because she once dated a black boy named Justin and is planning to vote for *****. :lol:

Well, I do agree about the Black History month as there is a lot of history with that topic. What I do agree with her is I read this before, and she stated about how it is unfair to have the college funds especially for African Americans. I remember when taking those PSATs, etc., there was a box that you could check if you were African American to participate in getting scholarships. I don't understand that one bit, there are many people of other races who would like to go to college, too. Honestly, the way America is about race, if there was a Native American college fund only, everyone would be on top of that, imo. Also, in her original comment, she stated a lot more things that I really found making sense.
I honestly wish that all races would blend together in America. Everyone separates the races too much, and there is so much racial tension going on. It makes me sick.

there are college scholarships for blacks, native americans, asians, latinos, the financially disadvantaged, tall people, left handed people, and those that wear a duct-tape dress to prom. the highest percentage of scholarships are STILL merit-based, so being a high achiever and hard worker will help you a lot more in finding college scholarships than being black, or any other ethnicity.

I have a particular perspective that allows me to see the need for diversity in college. I go to one of the best public universities in the country, the University of Georgia. I'm also a native Georgian from the suburbs of Atlanta, and I'm white. The state of Georgia has a very large black population, and white people are technically a minority in the City of Atlanta. Atlanta is recognized as a center of black culture and art. Yet my college, the flagship university for The University System of Georgia, has around a 10% black enrollment. There is something WRONG there. Our enrollment should more or less reflect the ethnic makeup of our state if the public school opportunities for everyone are equalized, yet it skews strongly white, and strongly suburban white. The university actively recruits not only minority students, but also students from the southern, rural section of the state. Rural schools and schools with high minority enrollments are notoriously underfunded in my state, so how do we expect those kids to compete with people from public schools like the one I went to in a rich area, where there was a strong push to give every student an apple laptop and I got to travel the country with extracurricular groups? College scholarships don't even begin to make up for the huge gap in opportunity.

Of course, there were black people and latino people that went to my school that got the same advantages I had, and they would still technically be able to access that money, but the good that it does outweighs those exceptions, in my mind. No program is perfect. It's sometimes very easy to forget that my father, who isn't even retired yet, saw black civil rights protesters sprayed with water cannons and attacked by police dogs in the streets. civil rights is an active battle that many people participate in every day, and things are far from equal. Black people even GOING to my college is a very recent development - my dad was a student here when it happened. The fight isn't over, not by a long shot.

I forsee that this thread is going to get way out of hand.

http://www.adriannemcurry.com/blog/?p=15 Here is the originial writing. If you click "next post" she discusses more. A lot seems to be edited out of the original post, so I provided the link. Also, the link posted is a rather one-sided view considering it is a "black voices" blog.
There are actually scholarships out there for EVERYONE. You name it they have it. I mean are we supposed to stop having scholarship funds for disabled people as well? And there are actually college programs and funds that are set aside specifically for Native Americans. What about the grandfather type clause at certain prestigious universities where you get in just because one of your ancestors went there? How many blacks and Native Americans really benefit from that? Purplekitty, I think you should do more research and realize that black people really aren't getting more benefits than other races. Situations like the Jena 6 should be enough to demonstrate that.

I posted this in another thread but BET is not one channel for one race. They never said "Only blacks can watch"

It's the name Black in the title that people don't like. NBC, ABC, CBS, all of their shows have majority white casts.

NBC, ABC, CBS shows do have some casts members of other ethnicities. So does BET.

NBC, ABC, CBS and other networks have improved greatly but 5 years ago, 10??? there were only a handful of other ethnicities on show those shows. They have been WET for years (without calling it White Entertainment Television)

I too wish all races cold unite as one. I wish there was never a need for a BET, or a HBCU (Historical Black Colleges and Universities), or a Black History Month.

There are actually scholarships out there for EVERYONE. You name it they have it. I mean are we supposed to stop having scholarship funds for disabled people as well? And there are actually college programs and funds that are set aside specifically for Native Americans. What about the grandfather type clause at certain prestigious universities where you get in just because one of your ancestors went there? How many blacks and Native Americans really benefit from that? Purplekitty, I think you should do more research and realize that black people really aren't getting more benefits than other races. Situations like the Jena 6 should be enough to demonstrate that.
Well, I am aware of all the different scholarships out there, what I don't understand is on those standardized tests like the SAT, it has only that section for African Americans to check, there isn't one for Caucasian, Asian, disabled people, etc.
I don't think I need to do anymore research and I am fully understanding of this topic, my main wish and goal in life is to see unity someday among all races, and that people would stop separting races and racial tension will be nonexistant.
Also, nowhere did I say that blacks are getting more benefits than other races.

Status
Not open for further replies.