Need Support/Advice My 2 yr old kitty just died of kidney failure

Oct 2, 2007
I am new to this site but everyone seems so great and I have spent an hour reading the pet threads that I thought maybe talking about this would help.

My maine coon/mynx cat Smokey (ok I am starting to cry) just died on Saturday. He was only 2 years old. He was 24 lbs (his weight wasn't a factor as he is supposed to be big). He was the most wonderful cat . . . he acted like a dog (loved riding in the car . . . getting wet . . . chasing lizards) and would curl up to me every night and suck on his arm like he was nursing!)

Last saturday he peed outside the litter box which I thought was odd. Then Sunday he started peeing blood. I immead. took him to the Pet ER . . . they did a ultra sound and felt his belly and said he wasn't blocked but had FLUTD. Antiboitics, a cortosine shot, and pain pills were given and sent him home. Wed. he started bleeding again and we took him to the vet and he said one last shot should clean it up. Thursday he wouldn't eat or pee. We were leaving to go out of town so I left him with the vet (I had to go to a wedding and had to leave). Plus the vet had assured me he would be ok. Friday they called me and told me he had no chance and needed to be put down. My friend who works at a clinic at UGA came and got him and took him back there where he was treated by 10 doctors. He was sitting up and meowing and then boom. He got blocked and there was nothing they could do.

I have never felt pain like this. I wasn't even with him when he died. I lost my cat before him, Boone to a dog attack 2 years ago and he was only 3. I got Smokey shortly there after. I can't stop crying or going over they what if's. What if I didn't fill his water bowl and he got dehydrated (he could have drunk out of our dog's). What if I had taken him to the more exsp. better vet first. I have been wondering around the house trying to find tufts of his fur. I just don't know what to do. Is this normal for a two year out? They vet told me that 1 out of 6 male cats will die at a young age to this. I even had him on the special prescription diet food from the vets.

I just cant stop thinking about it. Any advice/support/ or similar stories might help. Thank you! Kitty:heart:

I am new to this site but everyone seems so great and I have spent an hour reading the pet threads that I thought maybe talking about this would help.

My maine coon/mynx cat Smokey (ok I am starting to cry) just died on Saturday. He was only 2 years old. He was 24 lbs (his weight wasn't a factor as he is supposed to be big). He was the most wonderful cat . . . he acted like a dog (loved riding in the car . . . getting wet . . . chasing lizards) and would curl up to me every night and suck on his arm like he was nursing!)

Last saturday he peed outside the litter box which I thought was odd. Then Sunday he started peeing blood. I immead. took him to the Pet ER . . . they did a ultra sound and felt his belly and said he wasn't blocked but had FLUTD. Antiboitics, a cortosine shot, and pain pills were given and sent him home. Wed. he started bleeding again and we took him to the vet and he said one last shot should clean it up. Thursday he wouldn't eat or pee. We were leaving to go out of town so I left him with the vet (I had to go to a wedding and had to leave). Plus the vet had assured me he would be ok. Friday they called me and told me he had no chance and needed to be put down. My friend who works at a clinic at UGA came and got him and took him back there where he was treated by 10 doctors. He was sitting up and meowing and then boom. He got blocked and there was nothing they could do.

I have never felt pain like this. I wasn't even with him when he died. I lost my cat before him, Boone to a dog attack 2 years ago and he was only 3. I got Smokey shortly there after. I can't stop crying or going over they what if's. What if I didn't fill his water bowl and he got dehydrated (he could have drunk out of our dog's). What if I had taken him to the more exsp. better vet first. I have been wondering around the house trying to find tufts of his fur. I just don't know what to do. Is this normal for a two year out? They vet told me that 1 out of 6 male cats will die at a young age to this. I even had him on the special prescription diet food from the vets.

I just cant stop thinking about it. Any advice/support/ or similar stories might help. Thank you! Kitty:heart:[Every girl should be two things classy and fabulous-Coco Chanel]

*HUGS* to you, sweetie. I am so so sorry for your loss, it must be so hard for you. I will pray for you. You did everything you could. He is looking down on you and is now your little guardian Angel. Hang in there.:heart: This whole forum is full of wonderful and very supportive members, if you need to talk, just post. Welcome!

First I want to say I am so sorry about the loss of your kitty. I know exactly how you feel as I recently lost my cat to kidney issues. That cat was 18 years old. I miss him so much. Recently another one of my cats had a urinary blockage, I rushed him to the vet and he was unblocked and his bladder flushed. He was almost back to normal the next day. What was the complication with your kitty? Why couldn't they get him unblocked? I have never heard of a cat dying from FLUTD. Sorry for all the questions, I know this is a really hard time for you. Here is some info I found, hopefully you can get some answers here.

http://www.newmanveterinary.com/flutd.html

Oh I'm so sorry. I have lost two cats in my life so far and it never gets any easier. I would like to let you know that it would not have been something that you did to cause renal failure. Even if he did run out of water it wouldn't cause this so I don't know if that makes you feel better at all, I'm sure it doesn't. Also renal failure takes some time to occur so it would be something that is an ongoing process. Had he always been on the special food? or was he on other food before. All the fiasco over the cat and dog food was because it was causing organ damage. Anyway, I am so sorry for your loss and I wish you peaceful thoughts and serenity to come soon

I'm really, truly sorry for your loss. Please don't blame yourself..I'm sure you were a wonderful owner and gave your kitty lots of love and a wonderful life. You can drive yourself crazy with the "what ifs?", and from what you've told us you did everything you possibly could anyway. We're here for you if you need to talk.

I am so sorry for your loss of Smokey... I know there are no words I can say to make you feel better... I am only a Registered Veterinary Technician and I understand cats can die from obstructed FLUTD if you don't treat immediately...Untreated FLUTD can be life-threatening, too. But I would talk to someone from the hospital again for the answers you are looking for. Don't blame yourself for his death... You did everything you could. I hope you have friends and family with you right now.

Oh shoot, I'm so sorry. I have lost (as patients) two male kittys, young to middle age after long bouts with FLUTD and blockage. Like yours, they were fine initially, but sometimes the kidneys can get overwhelmed, and in spite of the best efforts, we lose them. I always wonder why my savage, spoiled, biting patients live to be 17. I'm so sorry for your loss. Urinary disease in cats can be really challenging-you did everything you could. Do you think you'll get another kitty? I have a Maine Coon too, but he's naughty.

Mrskitty im so sorry. U did all u could, spare no expenses to treat him.. In time u will look back and have fond memories of him in ur life. A short while is bettre than none right.. i wish u well!!

Thank you guys so much. I have been upset most of today too.

To answer some of the questions . . . he has FLUTD and didn't block until after a week of being on antibotics, steroids, pain pills, and the Prescription Diet food. He was fine for a week and then he started bledding again. The vet said he still wan't blocked and that this last shot should clear it up. That was Tuesday. Wednesday I noticed he stopped eating and wasn't peeing. He was trying and was in pain.(This was at 10pm) We took him at 6am when the vet opened beause our friend who is in vet school said he would be ok thru the night.

I keep looking back at that moment thinking what if . . .I trusted all the advice. Just that day the vet said he was fine. Our friend said till fine till the AM. I had rushed him to the vet 3 times that week(including the weekend ER Clinic). What if I had taken him that night . . .and not waited until 6am. We had an expert tell us he would be fine till 6am. He lived 3 days after that but even after taking himt o the expert he kept blocking. His kidneys actually got better but then the FLUTD was too bad. the only option was surgery which I said yes to and they said it was inhumane. He would probably live under a year (if he made it thru the surgey) and he would be very sick.

i just feel so responsible. Everyone keeps telling me to recue another kitty and I want to but I am so upset. I feel like I am going to get sick every 5 minutes.

Oh Kitty, I'm so so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a pet - we've lost quite a few, our last dog was very unexpected and hit us all very hard.

Please don't feel bad - you did everything that you could, up until his last day . He knows about all of the effort that you put into trying to help him get better - don't forget that! I'm here if you need an ear or a shoulder, I'd love to share stories with you when you are feeling better.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown