Black Chevre or Togo Leather for Birkin

chevre is quite light in weight - lighter than togo. Togo will slouch more, too, although the new chevre is quite souple, I'm told. Togo will still be a little softer, though.

Black chevre is to DIE for!!!!!!

Chevre is really quite beautiful and if you can get your hands on a Birkin in it, I'd grab it!
Togo is great too... it's very durable and classic. A "workhorse"...
I agree with others that you would have to be a little more careful with Chevre.

I guess I'm in the minority. I have a strong preference for Togo, for the slight slouchiness and the texture and the feel. Chevre Coromandel , for my taste, has too much veining and shine and it always looks stiff to me. Chevre Mysore is a different story but I am not sure that Mysore is used for bags.

I guess I'm in the minority. I have a strong preference for Togo, for the slight slouchiness and the texture and the feel. Chevre Coromandel , for my taste, has too much veining and shine and it always looks stiff to me. Chevre Mysore is a different story but I am not sure that Mysore is used for bags.

BlueParrot, I have a Birkin and Kelly in Mysore. Chevre leather was not as scarce a few years back. I LOVE LOVE having a chevre Birkin. It's so lightweight and shiny.

You bring up a good point about the spine on Coromandel. It's one of those things where you either love it or you hate it. I happen to love it, but I know many people have an aversion to it. I have a 32 Sellier in Coromandel, it's spine is very pronounced, so much so that it almost feels "exotic' to me in a sense. I originally thought I would have preferred Mysore.
Anyway, I am especially glad to have it now that Chevre seems harder to come by at the moment. I would love the chance to get a Chevre Birkin at some point. An especially beautiful one that comes to mind is gina_b's in Cognac.:heart:

I love chevre in general but usually only in bright cheerful colors (i have chevre in vert anis, turquoise and fuchsia). I was offered a black chevre birkin before but I felt (probably in the minority here) that chevre in black looked like plastic.. that's my view only as others in the forum love chevre in dark colors like black or brown. I would go with togo (esp the small grain togo).