Calling all New Yorkers! Which apartment location would you recommend?

Feb 26, 2007
New York New York, here I come!

I'm just about to book accommodation for Christmas and New Year, and have the choice of apartments in a couple of different locations. Could any of our glamorous New Yorkers give your opinion on the locale of these? I have absolutely no geographical understanding of NY! :shame: Which is the closest to the action? How easy is it to get to the important places (like Bloomingdales and Saks ha ha)?

I'm hoping to book by tomorrow, so any advice would be fabulous! :heart:

Apartment 1 - East 54th Street
Apartment 2 - Greenwich Village - Barrow Street
Apartment 3 - Greenwich Village - Washington Place
Apartment 4 - West 73rd Street

Hi, NYC is like a grid and pretty easy to navigate. Downtown starts at the name streets like Wall Street which is all the way downtown by Ground Zero. Saks is on 5th and 49th Street. Bloomies is on 59th St and 3rd ave. which are considered Midtown. 57th Street is very tourist oriented because there are so many stores and its centrally located. W 73rd is Upper West Side. Of all the places if you are considering shopping as a big part of your trip, I would choose the E 54th St location. It is close to Bloomies, Bergdorfs, Bendels, etc. Plus its closer to Madison Avenue which has tons of fabulous shopping. You can pretty much get around by subway or take a taxi if you want to go all the way downtown. If you plan on going to see the Xmas tree in Rockefeller Center, it is off of 51st between 5th and 6th aves.

Basically, you should try to decide if you want to be on the East or West side. But from the sounds of things, I think you are wanting to stay on the East side. I hope I helped a little.

Weeeessttt Side til I dieeeee!

*sorry I can't be of more help, the e.54th st. and w.74th st. locations are closer to where all the good stuff's at. i would choose west side simply because it's easiest to get to a variety of trains, and subway transport is very important*

I'm so confused!! Greenwich sounds so cool, but no one seems to be voting for it!

The West 73rd Street apartment is most expensive, the East side one second most expensive, and the Greenwich ones the cheapest. And I had been told the West side was a great location, but then someone else told me that it's dead at night and I'm much better off in Greenwich at night, whilst still being close enough to everything for daytime activities....Ahhhh!!! :weird: I'm so indecisive!

I lived in Greenwich Village for a short while and would prefer a midtown location over the Village any day. Midtown is cleaner (comparatively speaking, as NY isn't the cleanest city around to begin with) and access to shopping is much better.

I'm so confused!! Greenwich sounds so cool, but no one seems to be voting for it!

The West 73rd Street apartment is most expensive, the East side one second most expensive, and the Greenwich ones the cheapest. And I had been told the West side was a great location, but then someone else told me that it's dead at night and I'm much better off in Greenwich at night, whilst still being close enough to everything for daytime activities....Ahhhh!!! :weird: I'm so indecisive!

How old are you? I think that makes a difference with a lot of things. Down in the Village are a lot of college oriented places like bars and restaurants seeing as NYU is smack in the middle. Which will make it cheaper to go bar hopping. It is also a major gay community like Chelsea (West teens) . Depending how long you are staying, you could enjoy a lot of NYC, both uptown and downtown. If I were you, I would stay someplace centrally located to things you want to do. I don't think there are many "dead at night" places around Manhattan.

How old are you? I think that makes a difference with a lot of things. Down in the Village are a lot of college oriented places like bars and restaurants seeing as NYU is smack in the middle. Which will make it cheaper to go bar hopping. It is also a major gay community like Chelsea (West teens) . Depending how long you are staying, you could enjoy a lot of NYC, both uptown and downtown. If I were you, I would stay someplace centrally located to things you want to do. I don't think there are many "dead at night" places around Manhattan.

I definitely hear what you're saying! I'm not a spring chicken and not a huge partier, but we're big foodies so love finding out of the way restaurants. And we'll definitely have one or two nights out in cool bars. So it does sound like we should sway towards midtown in that case.

Thanks for all the advice lovelies!!! :heart: