BV in Print: Campaigns/Editorials/Articles/Interviews - Post and Discuss!

Thanks for sharing, Marly.
This article makes me love my ball bag even more.
The BV boutique here just gets 2 ball bags in each colour every season and that's why I waited more than 5 months to get mine because i always missed them.
It's funny within the last week I saw 2 BVs (white Veneta and cocker) and that's the most I've ever seen them outside a shop. That's a big sign for his success.

There is an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal (9/24/07). The CEO of the Gucci Group is interviewed about his strategies for the company. Apparently Gucci Group owns BV, YSL and Balenciaga. (I know LV also owns a bunch of premier brands too.)
In the article he is asked if he is afraid that the smaller brands, like BV, in the Gucci Group will overtake the Gucci brand.

He says: Customers appreciate and acquire the brands for different types of reasons. Bottega veneta is timeless quality for very sophisticated clients who don't appreciate logos on the outside of their bags. Gucci customers love it when there's a logo on the bag, on the shoe, or visible in the ready to wear. These are different segments of customers. There is almost no overlap.

So, we BV fans are sophisticated and we like timeless quality. WORKS FOR ME!
But 'no overlap".....guess he hasn't seen the collections on tpf!!!!!!

BTW, he also says the YSL brand, previously faltering, is doing really well.

^No wonder BV and YSL are doing good with those geniuses Tomas Maier and Stefano Pilati as their Creative Directors.

I just handed in my bachelor`s thesis for communication studies and I have written about the product communication of luxury goods.

Turns out, examining the customers is really interesting and there are three different categories of luxury goods. I think BV falls into the second category, the one under haute couture where everything is made to measure for the consumer and Gucci is more in the third category, where the consumer`s aim is not only to acquire a silent luxury good, but one that communicates a certain message to ppl looking at it (i.e. "I can afford that"). Apparently though, the last category is more a sort of luxury for the masses.

Didn`t mean to give you guys a lecture but thought it might be interesting to know that BV is considered more like luxury for the classes :cool:

I know the CEO is just trying to puff up his customers and his sales, but I believe that in many circles the BV weave is just as recognizable as the Gucci Gs. Just because it's not a letter doesn't mean it's not a recognizable trademark. If they really wanted to be obscure they'd stop making woven bags, period (not that I want that to happen!).

Maybe I'm just defensive or suffering from multiple personality disorder because I love both BV and Gucci?

I do agree with the CEO, that for the most part, "typical" Gucci customers are not BV customers. Not to say that there aren't customers who will fancy both brands, but for profiling purposes, I think both groups are quite clearly segmented.

I do love the ready-to-wear of YSL. I think Pilati has been very successful in drawing upon the essence of YSL from before his time, and re-interpreting the style and silhouettes with his own touch.

How fun to combine both your hobby and your studies to make for an interesting thesis, C!

What interesting posts! I would LOVE to hear more about the Bachelor's thesis. I am really intrigued with buying trends and the underlying reasons we do what we do.

In my corner of the world (Raleigh,NC) BV is not well known or frequently carried. Coach and LV are probably the most recognized. I see lots and lots of fakes (mostly LV and Chanel). So the woven leather is not a symbol here, which is really important to me. But I can imagine that in more metropoitan areas the woven leather can be identified from afar as BV.

I agree that they "psychology" of carrying a logo Gucci bag is different from that of carrying a BV. However, I think that there are many customers who would carry both bags at different times depending on their mood.

I find this fascinating--kind of similar to what goes into why a voter picks one candidate over another (my undergrad major was political science).

I didn't know Balenciaga was under the Gucci umbrella.

Actually, the Gucci Group CEO admitted that out of all of the brands in the Gucci Group, Bottega Veneta is the most well made. This was from last year, where he was being interviewed in Bloomberg. Logos or no logos, quality is certainly one of the big reasons why people buy BV.

RGM, wow the CEO actually said the BV was the most well made of all the brands!

The question was raised: anyone own both brands? I own a 30 year old Gucci clutch and a 30 year old belt!!!!! I have one BV that I bought 2 weeks ago. Does this count? (smile)