Cat Experts -- Need your help!

Clopin

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
So here's the situation....

About a year ago, I rescued a beautiful kitty off the street whose owners had tossed her out when they moved. She's such a sweet girl, very loving, no attitude. She's relatively young, probably around 2 years old. She's a very outgoing cat and isn't really afraid of strangers.

About a month ago, another cat appeared in the backyard. Looks pretty young, probably less than a year old. She's very friendly also, but very skinny and starving! I've been feeding her for the past month and she stays in the backyard. I want to bring her in as my second cat though, but am not quite sure how to go about this.....??

Obviously, I have to take her to the vet and get her checked out and all her shots. But what is the best way to introduce a new cat to an old cat? I know that my old cat will probably hiss and be upset, but what can I do to make the transition easier for both?

But here's the next problem.... I'm moving in a week! So do I bring the new cat into the old apartment first and let them get used to each other then move then both at the same time? I just can't see moving my old cat to a new place AND bringing in a new cat on the same day!

Any help or advice you girls can give would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

Okay, so first of all, it's REALLY important that you bring the other cat to the Vet first, as if it's sick it could make your other cat sick and you do NOT want that to happen. It's good that you already thought about this :tup: And maybe you could have her stay at the vet while you do the whole moving thing?

Now, as for the introduction I would VERY much suggest that you bring both cats in together at the SAME TIME in the new place. Why? Because cats are territorial and this new place won't be anyone's territory yet. Maybe you could try putting one cat in a room and the other cat in another room so that they have a "safe" place if when they meet they hiss at each other.

What I would do is bring them in the new place and leave them in their cages/transporter, facing each other, so that they can get used to the other cat. See how they react. Give them a few minutes. If it looks okay, take them out at the same time and see how they react. If it goes really wrong, separate them in different rooms so they can get used to the new place and introduce them to each other gradually. If they are both spayed, I think it will be okay. Of course, all of this is just my personal opinion based on things I have read and stuff.

Just get the stray kitty to the vet ASAP, I think :smile: And ask your vet for tips, cause he might say things that are totally different from what I just said.

Btw, it's really sweet that you want to take this little kitty in :heart:

I agree, vet check first is essential, then move them both to your new place together and do the introduction. If you weren't moving, then putting the new cat in a separate room till they both smelled each other and got used to that would be the right thing to do.
Also, I've read that talcum powder lightly sprinkled on your hands, then lightly petting each cat makes them both smell similiar and can help. There's also a new kitty pheromone air diffuser that is supposed to help cats adjust -- and could help your original cat deal with the stress of the move.
Good luck !!

Well, I would make the transition before you move, because moving is stressful enough for one cat, let alone having a new friend. But first, take the kitty to the vet to make sure everything is good, and then I would maybe put the new kitty in a bedroom to explore and get used to scents, etc. for a while, then I would have the two cats meet and see how they react, but I personally wouldn't leave them alone together for a while until they get used to each other. I have never introduced two cats, so I am not sure, but that's how I would do it. It's very sweet of you to take in these less fortunate kitties and give them love! *Hugs to you*!

through my 24 years i have been part of introducing many cats to eachother. i have done it twice just living on my own. cats need time to adjust but they will adjust. i don't believe in keeping them in separate rooms (unless they physically hurt eachother). yes there will be hissing and growling and they will be upset for awhile. they will eventually get used to eachother and be fine (in most cases). your first cat is young enough and should have no problem.

in most of my experiences i've noticed it takes about 2 weeks or so for cats to become comfortable with eachother.

when i got my 4th cat, my first cat who is about 5, because very upset with me, he lived in the basement for almost 2 days and wouldn't let me near him. but on the 3rd day he ventured upstairs and chilled down day by day and now everything is fine!

I'd bring the new cat in before you move just to get her acquainted to your cat. Or bringing the new cat in a new situation where neither of them have territories could be good to.. Keep the new one in a bedroom or a room though to begin with..... It gives the new cat a "safe place" where it'll feel like its, its own personal place. Your cat might not be happy and will hiss and stand by the door, thats normal. Put a blanket or toy in the new kitty room so the kitty can put its scent on it and your cat can smell it to get use to the new cat. It might take a day or a couple of days but eventually you can show the new cat to your current cat over the days once it seems like they're getting use to each other you can put them in the same room and see how it goes... With my cats it took around 2 or 3 days and they'd hiss when they saw each-other but after the hissing went on for a week or so they started to tolerate each-other and eventually now lick and sleep with each other.

But here's the next problem.... I'm moving in a week! So do I bring the new cat into the old apartment first and let them get used to each other then move then both at the same time? I just can't see moving my old cat to a new place AND bringing in a new cat on the same day!

Any help or advice you girls can give would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

I moved and introduced my new cat and the old cat on the same day. My situation was a lot like yours, I already had taken in my first cat from the apartment complex I was living in but was feeding a cat outside at that same apartment. They were enemies when they were both outside cats so I was really scared to introduce them into the same household when I moved. I had the outside cat neutered previously and had seen his aggression really decrease so I thought it would be okay to take him with me when I moved and make him an inside cat. The transition went fairly smooth. There was a lot of hissing and some paw batting but nothing major. They still hiss sometimes and they don't love each other but they're fine, the coexist peacefully.

Now, as for the introduction I would VERY much suggest that you bring both cats in together at the SAME TIME in the new place. Why? Because cats are territorial and this new place won't be anyone's territory yet. Maybe you could try putting one cat in a room and the other cat in another room so that they have a "safe" place if when they meet they hiss at each other.
Excellent advice!