Target rocks!

Feb 26, 2007
I'm constantly on the look-out for smart clothes to wear to work that aren't expensive (I hate spending money on work clothes!), and I've just been looking at the Alice Temperely collection on the Target site...I ended up browsing the rest of the clothes available and there's some really cute pieces, and they're so cheap!!!!!!

Now the only problem is that I'm located in the UK, rather than the US :tdown: How do you gals living in the US find it? It is at good as it looks for inexpensive pieces?

I absolutely love Target and am missing it sooooooooooo bad since living in Germany :sad:

Target does have many good brands and products, but I don't have any experience with the specific one you listed, sorry!

I've relied on Target since college for stylish, inexpensive clothes. I love the "GO" Collection, and Isaac Mizrahi makes really cute office-appropriate clothing and shoes. Also, I find it runs pretty true-to-size.

Not sure if they ship to the UK, though...

You do pay for what you get you know.

I like clothes that last for more than a season, Target will not do unless it is for items like socks or a "last minute" necessity items. For sale stuff from Target, they still cost $5 - $15 on the rack, I still find better deals at T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, NM last call, Off saks, NR and FB for a couple bucks to $10++ more for Italian made items.

E.g. I got a "seeby" Chloe tank at $8.00 from the original $80 at off Saks, for the same amount I would spent at Target or Kohls (and its made in Italy).

Quality at Target is mixed, but seems to be getting better. For work clothes actually I've lately found some great pieces at H&M, and on sale at Saks, Club Monoco, or at J.Crew. I'm actually getting a H&M jacket slightly tailored which even with the added cost will be an incredible bargain. Target doesn't usually use good enough materials for work in my opinion, also things are sometimes unlined or just not cut that well. Then again it depends on your office. Personally I also don't like spending money on work clothes, then again its important to look good and as they say 'dress for the job you want, not the job you have....'

I love Target. And I agree it is mixed quality. But, I think that is because they are still in a transition stage. 10 years ago they were just like any other low cost store where you went shopping for toilet paper and cat food.

I think the dress is super cute. However I was in my local store yesterday and did not see it. So I can't tell you anything about it's particular quality. But, for $23 it doesn't seem like it would hurt to buy it.

if the gap ships internationally, they have a really cute blue-striped shirt dress in their sale section that just arrived on my doorstep this afternoon :smile:

I buy a lot of stuff at Target. It's a good place to get super trendy pieces that won't be worn more than a few times. Most of their clothing is poor quality... You wear it a few times and it falls apart OR the fit is just not good. But as another poster said, you get what you pay for. I can't really complain about a shirt if it was $3!

I totally agree that you often get what you pay for, and you dress for the job you want, not the job you have....unfortunately the industry I work in means if I wear something more than a couple of times I'm "like so old hat" :P I try to spend more money on classic pieces, and then mix it up with inexpensive pieces. I definitely think that there is often a sacrifice in terms of quality, but for things that I know I'm probably only going to wear a few times I've just about come to terms with that ha ha.

Thanks for all your feedback! I think I'm going to have to include Target as a destination on my next shopping trip in the US :tup:

I love Target the quality isn't the bst but it is getting better. But compare it to trendt stores like Bebe and Arden B have a higher price point but the same quality as Target. I bought two pieces form the Alice Temperly collection I will let you knwo when I get them what the quality is like. The Patrick Robinson and the Luella was made okay.

I totally agree that you often get what you pay for, and you dress for the job you want, not the job you have....unfortunately the industry I work in means if I wear something more than a couple of times I'm "like so old hat" :P I try to spend more money on classic pieces, and then mix it up with inexpensive pieces. I definitely think that there is often a sacrifice in terms of quality, but for things that I know I'm probably only going to wear a few times I've just about come to terms with that ha ha.

Thanks for all your feedback! I think I'm going to have to include Target as a destination on my next shopping trip in the US :tup:

"Like so old hat" OMG I love British sayings! LOL! Seriously I lived just outside of London for a semester in college and I loved it. :heart:

You must be in a fashion-type industry. I'm an attorney so for me its a different game. People in my office wear things that I swear are from the 90s and even then its not in a good way. :Push: