Books & Music Stevie Wonder Was Amazing!

Michele26

~Libra Baby~
O.G.
May 14, 2007
Last night my DH & I went to see Stevie Wonder in concert at the Pier Six Pavilion, 6th row, in Baltimore, MD. He sounds exactly like he does on his albums. He came out on stage with his beautiful daughter, Aisha, and told how he lost his mother about one year ago. He said he heard her voice tell him to get off his a_ _ and get out there and do what he does best. He thanked all his fans for supporting him over the years and that's what made it possible for him to provide the lifestyle he gave to his mother (it was so sweet). The concert was 3 hours, and at one point Stevie decides to get on the piano and sing. You can tell he was really enjoying performing and it was infectious. I just love him, he's such a sweet soul. He said he'll be back next year to perform two concerts, one of them for free. :yahoo::yahoo:

OMG! Stevie Wonder has always been one of my favorite artists. I really love those classic old school R&B singers, and I have tons of Stevie Wonder on my iPod. "My Cherie Amour" is one of my favorite songs, as well as "Ribbon in the Sky" and "Do I Do." I've never seen him in concert, but I would if I could. You're lucky to have been able to see him! He's been in the game a long time, but he's one of those artists who just gets better with age. Sad to hear he lost his mother, I know she must have been very special to him.

OMG! Stevie Wonder has always been one of my favorite artists. I really love those classic old school R&B singers, and I have tons of Stevie Wonder on my iPod. "My Cherie Amour" is one of my favorite songs, as well as "Ribbon in the Sky" and "Do I Do." I've never seen him in concert, but I would if I could. You're lucky to have been able to see him! He's been in the game a long time, but he's one of those artists who just gets better with age. Sad to hear he lost his mother, I know she must have been very special to him.

He sang everyone of those songs you mentioned. It was great! Hopefully he'll continue to tour, what state do you live in?

Wow, what a fantastic experience! One of my old best friends from back in the US (I used to live in Annapolis) wanted to go to the concert, but couldn't because of work :Push:

He's one of my all-time favorites and absolutely unique. Just thinking about his work, so many favorites--Sir Duke; For Once in My Life; Signed, Sealed Delivered, I'm Yours; If You Really Love Me. What a wonderful experience and you had the best seats!!

When I worked for the State of Michigan, he was a student at the nearby School for the Blind and his career was just starting. People were just realizing that this teenager was a musical genius.

Omgoodness ~ That Must Have Been The All Time Best Concert. I Absolutely Adore Stevie Wonder. He Was Just In Atlanta A Few Days Ago??? OY! Love Every Last Song (Especially: Sunshine Of My Life & Isn't She Lovely). Love All The Songs Mentioned In This Thread!!!!!!

You're so lucky!! I would love to Stevie in concert. I'm glad to hear that he was amazing. My FI was lucky too, once he was hanging out at the club down the street from our home, and Stevie showed up to perform an impromptu performance. Go figure it would be a night that I wasn't with him.

Here's an article from the Washington Times about the concert.

The Washington Times

Wonder preaches gospel of love

Jenny Mayo
September 18, 2007

Stevie Wonder's concert in Baltimore recapped his career, leaving many misty-eyed.

Stevie Wonder's sphere of musical influence stretches from Corinne Bailey Rae to Common, from Maroon 5 to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Sunday night at Baltimore's Pier Six Pavilion, the musician reminded the audience at his sold-out show that there ain't nothin' like the real thing.

The artist (born Steveland Judkins on May 13, 1950) took the crowd on a three-hour tour of his life and rhythmic times that left more than a few people misty-eyed and glowing, raving about how "awesome" it was and vowing henceforth to "spread the gospel of Stevie Wonder."

Dubbed "A Wonder Summer's Night," the 13-show tour is Mr. Wonder's first in more than 10 years. Before taking a seat at his grand piano, the artist stood before the Baltimore crowd to explain his motivations for hitting the road again after such a long absence: He lost his mother a year ago, and amidst the fog of grief, he heard her voice urging him to get himself back out there.

So here he was, thanking God and his fans (who packed the venue and clustered in boats and folding chairs just outside of it) for giving him the musical gift and support that helped him give his mother "a life that was possibly better than she would've had." From those opening remarks, the evening felt very much like a family affair.

Mr. Wonder opened with "Love's in Need of Love Today" (from his magnificent 1976 double disc, "Songs in the Key of Life") which he sang with his daughter, Aisha Morris, one of the three backup singers and eight musicians who joined him onstage. As the duo traded lyrics ("It's up to you 'cause love's in need of love today/ Don't delay, send yours in right away") the song proffered kinship on both a literal and metaphoric level.

With the next song, Mr. Wonder revealed the "Visions" in his mind (one of 1973's "Innervisions," that is) and he lit his message of universal love ablaze with an impassioned rant against war, politicians and gossipmongers in the media. "We've got to say 'Stop it,' " he pleaded, the first of many call-and-response segments.

This Sunday night sermon came as no surprise to those familiar with the singer's longstanding social activism. In addition to racking up dozens of awards and Top 10 hits, he has taken a stand for countless causes over the years, including supporting the Million Man March, the establishment of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and the abolition of apartheid.

After a few more gritty tunes, Mr. Wonder started into a tremendous string of ballads in which he rolled out his "Ribbon in the Sky" and rode it as far as it would take him — pausing briefly several times to absorb the applause, then picking up the song's trail again and following it into new tempos and tones.

The final portion of the show saw the soulful legend performing most of his uptempo hits — "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours," "All I Do," "Sir Duke" and "Superstition," to name a few. The standout was "Do I Do," during which the blind musician awkwardly crawled his way onto his grand piano and stood up for a few verses. At once vulnerable and empowered, he seemed to be situated somewhere between the human and heavenly realms — closer to God than most, yet clearly able to infiltrate the hearts of the people.

I wanted to go to the Baltimore Pier 6 concert so bad but I couldn't find reasonable tickets. I didn't hear that he was coming until after they had already sold out and the ebay prices were crazy! They were being bid up to $400 and $600 in some cases! Hopefully he will be back and if he does I know he will hit the DC/Bmore area again.

I wanted to go to the Baltimore Pier 6 concert so bad but I couldn't find reasonable tickets. I didn't hear that he was coming until after they had already sold out and the ebay prices were crazy! They were being bid up to $400 and $600 in some cases! Hopefully he will be back and if he does I know he will hit the DC/Bmore area again.

Stevie promised he'd be back next year and play at a larger venue. I bought our tickets as soon as they went on sale. They were $400. a piece for the 6th row. Ridiculosly expensive, but I love Stevie Wonder. :tup: