Hayden-Harnett -- worth full price?

The HH bags that I love have beautiful leathers and intricate detailing. If the sales ceased permanently, I would most def. purchase at full price. FWIW, I do believe that once they become "mainstream," the prices will increase as they all seem to do.

Honestly, I think they're in the middle of a brand strategy right now. They're offering sales and deep discounts to create a devoted following- and get their bags in as many hands as possible for brand recognition.

I believe over time we won't see as many sales and that the bags will hold up and hold their value. Compared to other bags of the same quality, they're cheaper as is.

So yes, I'll pay full price when I have to.

I think you definitely have a point. :yes:

Honestly, I think they're in the middle of a brand strategy right now. They're offering sales and deep discounts to create a devoted following- and get their bags in as many hands as possible for brand recognition.

I believe over time we won't see as many sales and that the bags will hold up and hold their value. Compared to other bags of the same quality, they're cheaper as is.

I'll wager you're right! They certainly have created a following, and after all tPFers are probably only a small portion of their overall sales base - although I'm sure we buy more than our share! But that's the "devoted following" bit, I guess.

My short and completely non-helpful answer: Yes and no.

My long answer: No, I don't think HH bags are worth full retail, but then again, I don't think any designer bag is worth their full asking prices. I've never bought anything not on sale, regardless of the designer. However, considering the quality of their materials, uniqueness of design, and compared the prices of brands with similar products and name-recognition, yes, HH is definitely more bang-for-your-buck. There are far less known lines out there charging way higher prices for the same level of product.

This has already been mentioned by the others, but I also can't bear to pay full price on a HH bag knowing that it will likely go on sale for a ridiculously low price! BUT, I will say I think some HH bags are more worth their prices than others. For example, as much as I love my Nico, there's no way I would have paid $550 retail for it. $288 for a Lorca, however? Totally reasonable, and if I find myself craving a Lorca in the next few months, I would consider buying one at full price.

If I recall correctly, in one of the other HH threads someone mentioned that Ben said the fall line was selling well, so it wouldn't be going on sale any time soon. So someone out there is paying close to retail for HH, if the statement is true!

I love HH, but there's no way I'd pay retail any more. I discovered them somewhere around April 2007, and I've already gotten burned! I bought several Triple Strap Satchels for about $330 each, thinking I'd gotten such a great price, and within a couple weeks, they were even less. That's happened to me other times. I bought a Nomade drawstring, week later, it's cheaper. It was infuriating! Same with my Nico. If I buy anything any more, I ask myself if I think it can possibly go any lower. Chances are with HH, they will.

I have to agree with the other posts here. I bought an HH Mosa at the last sale and now the woven handles are falling apart. Of course, because it was a final sale, I have to take it to my repair shop to have something done...and the kicker is that the original price was around $600. There is no way in the world that I would have paid that much( I paid $150). At that price, I cannot really complain( though this sounds like a complaint!) because the bag is beautiful, although it is not of the quality i've come to expect from tPF "recommended" brands

IMO, no. Definitely not worth full price. Even with all the frenzy and the hype on tpf about HH bags, I would never have purchased any of their bags were it not for the sales. Granted, I do have a lot of HH bags, but every time one arrives in the mail to me and I unwrap it, I always think to myself that the price I paid (on sale) was fair. A good example is my Lorca. I paid 150 dollars for it. Its cute, i love it but there is no way I would have ever paid nearly 300 bucks for it. Its hard to define what a 300, 400, 500 dollar purse looks and feels like but as the honorable Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart once said, "I know it when I see it"

I dont think any bag is worth full price. At the end of the day its just a bag. I have Kooba's, Hayden Harnetts, Isabella Fiores etc. but I have never paid full price for any of them.

Anyway, Im sure that the bag you love will go on sale soon, or maybe a discount code will become available.
I would wait for that. :yes:

I don't really pay full price for anything I buy - so no, I likely would not pay full price for an HH bag. Even being relatively new to the brand, I've read previous threads about the sales/deep discounts so I would feel confident waiting for a sale. I'm still awaiting my first bag so I can't comment on quality yet, but from everything I've been reading, they are fantastic.

I'm not sure I understand the thought behind HH "ruining their name" by having sales. As I see it, they are using a time-tested marketing strategy by selling last season's colors and styles at a discount, to make room for the new fall stuff. From their perspective, it's better to sell them at a discount than have them taking up space in the warehouse, and in the process they can create good, solid brand recognition by putting more HH on the street. I know it's frustrating to buy something and then see it on sale later :mad:, but whether or not they put items on sale periodically does not affect their style or quality, both of which I have found to be very good.

As for whether they are worth full price, it's really subjective. I have gotten some great stuff on sale, and I have paid full price for many name brands, from Coach and Cole Haan to LV, Balenciaga, Miu Miu, and even (ulp) Hermes. Fundamentally I believe all of them are way overpriced, but I wanted them enough to do it at the time. Hayden Harnett bags are uncommon and have great style, quality, and details, so it is simply about whether it's worth it to you to pay full price and get what you want, or wait a while and maybe get it on sale -- or possibly have it sell out while you wait, and not get it at all.

I wouldn't say they have "ruined their name", but I would say HH has now trained their customer to wait them out for a sale...and then wait some more because it goes down again. Once this happens, it's difficult for a company to regain momentum and expect full price to be paid for an item. I think you have a point but I also think they have made a strategic pricing blunder in cheapening all their product. Frankly, I would have sold it all to overstock.com and moved it out that way.

I agree that HH is training their customers to wait for sales.

Don't get me wrong, I think their bags are fabulous, and have been loving the sales. BUT, we have had 4 or 5 months of continuous sales. I find myself holding off on buying the fall bags I love because I know HH will put them on sale near Thanskgiving so why should I pay full price now? I think there is a difference between having sales and having HH's marathon of bottom dollar sales.

All brands go on sale, but HH's sales seem to be never-ending which could be a bad thing (or a good thing for us to get the bags cheap). I just know that I would have a problem with paying $500 for a bag when someone else could have gotten it for $86. It does cheapen the image of the bag.

ITA:yes: