Fear of 'Box leather'...

aspenmartial

Over the rainbow~~~
O.G.
Apr 13, 2006
Is it just me??? Does anyone have fear of box leather (to use)? Okay, I know it's idiotic to have something, because I love looking at it, and it's hard comeby. But I NEVER use my box Birkin! I literally have fear to use it!!! Because I know the moment I touch it, it will have fingernail scratch on it!
But I would love to keep it as long as I live because I was told many many times that box Birkin is super hard to comeby.
I know almost everyone here LOVESSS box leather, but anyone is afraid of using/prefer not to use(or have) Box leather???

LOL!

yes aspen, you'll bound to get scratches on it, even the FIRST time you use it. Scratches from fingernails, scratches from the hardware on your belt, jewellery etc. It's part and parcel of owning Box.

One of my box birkins is very well used. And it has softened somewhat. And the patina is lovely. The other one is a new Birkin (just a few months) old. I am still waiting for its patina to show, and in the meantime, obviously there are scratches on it already!

:P
no but seriously i somehow do understand that fear. it seems so fragile and when you see the first scratch you think you are literally dieing. what helps look at boxleather bags that are decades old and admire their inner glow and patina. yours can look the same you just have to use it. once you are over the first scratch and you can not count them anymore you are on the best way to a glorious patina :tup:

It's not just you, Aspen. I totally baby my Box bag. If there's any chance of rain, no carrying it. I seem to have all these conditions for taking it out so it doesn't get ruined. I need to get over it and just carry the thing.

aspen, I understand. But, I was thinking today.....that box has the most incredible hand feel.....and the scent....it's an incredible leather and I love carrying my Kelly and just enjoy the leather so much.....yet, I understand what you mean about not wanting to scratch it.

I don't know....you could keep the pretty Birkin and take it out to admire it....and get another one to actually use. Funny as it may sound, when I was little I always wanted two identical pieces of everything. One to keep beautiful and new, and one to use and enjoy. I've heard of doing stranger things.....

Yeh...my DH is like 'Just use the darn thing! You spent $$$$ to just look at it..???:confused1::Push:' I should get over it. But if I get a scratch on my beautiful ink-black box Birkin, I might die!!!!!!!!!!!:crybaby:

I don't know....you could keep the pretty Birkin and take it out to admire it....and get another one to actually use. Funny as it may sound, when I was little I always wanted two identical pieces of everything. One to keep beautiful and new, and one to use and enjoy. I've heard of doing stranger things.....

I am laughing hard now!!:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao: But it sounds good! I love that idea (I am sure my DH would NOT like that idea at all)!!!:P

Nah - my SA saw (and polished) my box bag recently, and told me "USE IT!...You need to use it more to get the patina going!"...I love box, not scared of it one little bit!!

Nah - my SA saw (and polished) my box bag recently, and told me "USE IT!...You need to use it more to get the patina going!"...I love box, not scared of it one little bit!!

I'm dying to get a new box bag to patina. The other one was pre-patina'd for me.

Right now I'm working on vache naturel for practice. It's already got a few scratches on it. Box should be easy-peasy after that.

^ god yes. VN is HARD!

I didn't realise just HOW glorious old box patina can be until I scored that 55 year old bag from L-Z....it looks like PATENT LEATHER compared to my virtually new other boxcalf bag.