One more used LV question - do you always authenticate at the store?

tracy814

O.G.
Jul 19, 2007
How does that work - you just walk in and ask any SA? Or do they have special SAs who do it - wondering esp. about vintage stuff - would the 22 year old behind the counter really be able to tell?

Any stories on stuff like that?

Thanks!

Well LV stores don't really authenticate anymore... some boutiques still do though.

I suppose that the store manager is one of the main ones that authenticates, along with another experienced SA?

According to an SA that I specifically asked, LV stores don't "officially" authenticate. She told me the best they can do is tell you whether "it's one of ours" or "it's not one of ours". That can be a hit and miss proposition because you may not get someone who has enough experience.

Also, it's company policy that they don't put authencity in writing because (this is unbelievable) they can actually be sued:wtf:.

IMO, unless you personally know someone who is good at authenticating, tpf is prolly the best place for it. People here are very into LV and know a whole lot about it.

How do people authenticate?

Well we look at:
-Canvas
-Interior
-Leather
-Stitching
-Handle/strap size
-Colors of canvas or bag
-Size of bag
-Heat stamps [fonts and deepness of them]
-Date code format and location
-Hardware

thank you for this. what do you do in case it seems too good to be true, like all the details match, size match you find code etc. but still it is supposed to be from eg 2010 and still has no faults. too good to be true I mean

thank you for this. what do you do in case it seems too good to be true, like all the details match, size match you find code etc. but still it is supposed to be from eg 2010 and still has no faults. too good to be true I mean
You locate an authenticator who can tell you if it is real or not. You can find one through google search. Some charge a smaller fee then others.