The Hermes History?

Mai - Hermesgroupie would be the very best to ask on the subject of the history of the House, she is very well-read on the subject, and has been a dedicated collector for many years.

As for Mr. Lau, he is (please correct me if I'm wrong, girls) chinese business man, renowned for buying his (many) girlfriends Hermes, particularly exotic Birkins. I, in particular, like to make fun of this fact, and joke about dating him on a regular basis, to get a birkin. (Trying to stay clean here!!).

hope that helps? Hopefully HG will see this thread and tell us a bit more about the background.

What I can tell you is they started as a saddlery, and many of the bags that we carry today were designed for "other" functions before we got to them!

The Evelyne, the picotin, HAC...just off the top of my head, were all designed for some"horsey" function or other. The Picotin was based on a feedbag (loop over the horses ears type thing), the HAC and Evelyne were designed to lug tack around.

The perfect book for this is La Selle Hermes. Unfortunately, my copy is in storage and I won't be able to get to it for a few weeks. I'll do my best to get up when I can get to the book.

The September issue of Vanity Fair has quite an in-depth article about the history of Hermès:

"From Hermès to Eternity
Almost two centuries ago, a royal coronation might be delayed until the arrival of its exquisitely stitched Hermès carriage fittings, just as today even the richest women must wait for an exquisitely stitched Hermès Birkin bag. With the family-run French company passing to a sixth generation, the author chronicles its rise to global pre-eminence, where a modern aesthetic meets the humble tools—awls, mallets, needles, knives, and stones—of unsurpassed tradition."
by Laura Jacobs September 2007

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/09/hermes200709?currentPage=1

Ok, here you go. These are photos of La Selle Hermes, at least the translation booklet that came with the limited edition copy. It gives a brief history of the company and discusses the museum and gives a brief look inside the atelier. The thumbnails are clickable.