I FINALLY have a plan!

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
I can't get the job I want without the proper certification.

If I kept going the rate I was going (one class at a time), I wouldn't be done until July.

The plan is, I'm going to double up on classes until I get certified as a Medical Office Assistant. (I'll be done in April). After that, I'll look for a hospital job.

Apparently, there's a huge need for medical receptionists.

If I still have no luck by April or May, I'll move back to Boston.

I don't WANT to move back to Boston.

The small comfort I have, though, is that I'd have no trouble getting a retail job in Boston.

The certification I'm working towards is called Medical Office Assistant, which is essentially a medical receptionist.

If you don't mind me asking...why is it necessary? I'm sure you're referring to ICD-9 and CPT coding (do you guys have that in Canada?)...certain government guidelines? Most of that stuff is common sense and usually not required to hire you as a receptionist. Now, billing might be a bit different. I'd just apply while you're in school and not rely so much on your certification. Unless of course it's different in Canada

It is different in Canada.

I've tried to apply to hospitals ever since I moved here, but there wasn't much there because under qualifications it says either must have knowledge of medical terminology or must have certification.

Hospitals won't even look at me until I get certified.

(Not certifiable, certified.)