Is Selling Snakeskin bags allowed on Ebay?

chloebagfreak

Need Sunny Days
O.G.
Jul 4, 2007
Hi, i was wondering if selling a snakeskin bag was allowable on Ebay? I looked at the list of things that weren't allowed, but couldn't find snakeskin.
Thanks so much

I've sold a couple of snakeskin bags on Ebay and not had a problem. To be honest, I didn't even think to check if it would be an item that was not permitted for sale on Ebay.

It is against California law for a retailer to sell a python bag in California or to ship such a bag to California. Python only - you can buy anaconda, lizard, crocodile, and other skins in Calfornia. It is not against the law for a Californian to buy the bag in another state and physically transport it into California (e.g. you buy the bag in Vegas and carry it with you in your car into california.)

compulsivepurse is absolutely correct on both points. I found out both of these things the hard way!!

So does that mean I can't sell a handbag to someone in Italy? I recently sold one and delivery attempts have been make for over a week. I thought it was because the buyer decided they didn't want to pay the customs tax. The bag cleared customs no problem. Just wondering if that was the reason. Or does it just mean that someone in Italy can't import them for resale? Sorry if I sound very ignorant!

It is against California law for a retailer to sell a python bag in California or to ship such a bag to California. Python only - you can buy anaconda, lizard, crocodile, and other skins in Calfornia. It is not against the law for a Californian to buy the bag in another state and physically transport it into California (e.g. you buy the bag in Vegas and carry it with you in your car into california.)

Thanks for confirming!
I've seen in Saks/Neiman's etc. catalogs where they have python boots or bags and it says they're not able to ship them to California.

^^^ LMAO!
Seriously, I think you would face a really large fine. I know that with the sale of ivory (which you actually have to have an antique seller's license to sell legally) the fines are in the $5,000 range for the first offense.

As for sending bags & shoes to Italy, I had the things stopped at customs and sent right back to me. At my expense. And naturally I had to refund the buyer fully. Ugh!! Most Italians are fully aware of this, though, and don't put international sellers in that position. I don't even say anything about it on my listings because I haven't had an Italian try to buy my items for several years. It's not a secret in Italy, by any means--unlike here in the US where there are a gazillion little rules and no one knows what the hell they are (like no python in CA, which is just stupid since they're the ONLY state where that applies).

^^^ LMAO!
Seriously, I think you would face a really large fine. I know that with the sale of ivory (which you actually have to have an antique seller's license to sell legally) the fines are in the $5,000 range for the first offense.

As for sending bags & shoes to Italy, I had the things stopped at customs and sent right back to me. At my expense. And naturally I had to refund the buyer fully. Ugh!! Most Italians are fully aware of this, though, and don't put international sellers in that position. I don't even say anything about it on my listings because I haven't had an Italian try to buy my items for several years. It's not a secret in Italy, by any means--unlike here in the US where there are a gazillion little rules and no one knows what the hell they are (like no python in CA, which is just stupid since they're the ONLY state where that applies).

I agree.
And also I remember once my SA at LV was telling me about some guy they were trying to get a bag for (he was getting it for his wife for their anniversary)...I believe it had some kind of python trim or some other exotic skin, but it didn't have the documentation that stated what kind of skin it was and had to be sent back until they found it. He almost didn't get it in time.

Anyway, who knows why CA doesn't allow certain things, there are a lot of crazy people and laws here. :wacko: