Food Any good brown rice recipes?

Tammy518

Just one more...
Jan 3, 2006
I love Jasmine rice, and it tastes great to me with nothing but a little salt in the water when I cook it. I know brown rice is healthier, and it'd be nice for a change, but for some reason I don't really like it. Does anyone have any good (easy) recipes of things to add to brown rice to make it a little more tasty? Also, my son is a vegetarian, so I'm looking for something with no meat broth in it (margarine is fine, though).

Brown rice has a slightly nutty flavor.

After cooking it in a rice cooker, I like to stir:
Pecan pieces
Freshly ground nutmeg
Grated Emmenthal swiss cheese (other swiss cheeses don't work nearly as well)

Yum!

Brown rice has a slightly nutty flavor.

After cooking it in a rice cooker, I like to stir:
Pecan pieces
Freshly ground nutmeg
Grated Emmenthal swiss cheese (other swiss cheeses don't work nearly as well)

Yum!

Sounds yummy! The nutmeg and Emmenthal make me think of the cheese fondue at Melting Pot.

I also found one that sounds good while searching the interent. It calls for sauteing some garbanzo beans, garlic, onion, and asparagus and adding that to brown rice.

MMMMM Brown Rice!

We had this for dinner last night.... you can sub tofu crumbles for the turkey and leave the beef boullion out.

3 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs ground cinnamon
1 tbs ground cloves
1.5 lbs ground turkey (or tofu crumbles)
2 cups brown rice
4 cups water
1 tbs beef boullion (can omit)
chopped green onions
1/4 C pine nuts

Combine the first 4 ingrediants in a pan and cook until meat or tofu is done, the add rice, water and boullion if using. Cover and cook for 35 minutes. Stir in green onions and pine nuts.

I served this with hummus and whole wheat pita, and a green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers. So Good!

I typically only eat brown rice and I usually add a little bit of marinade (the kind that you usually use for meat, obviously one that is not made with any kind of animal bi-products) after the rice is cooked. This works well for rice or couscous, I was a vegetarian for a long time so I learned lots of little tricks to spice meals up. Vinaigrettes usually work pretty good as well.

I typically only eat brown rice and I usually add a little bit of marinade (the kind that you usually use for meat, obviously one that is not made with any kind of animal bi-products) after the rice is cooked. This works well for rice or couscous, I was a vegetarian for a long time so I learned lots of little tricks to spice meals up. Vinaigrettes usually work pretty good as well.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to pick up a bottle of marinade.

I've eaten rice all my life and have just in the last couple of years begun to incorporate brown rice in the rotation. While I've discovered that I prefer the nutty flavor of short grain brown rice, I still think its dense texture overpowers my side dishes. The recipe below is the only way I can eat brown rice without being disappointed:

--leftover cold brown rice
--crushed/chopped fresh garlic
--salt or soy sauce
--olive oil

I stir fry the brown rice using the above ingredients. It's simple and goes with everything.

We eat brown rice almost everyday. Our favorite way is to cook the brown rice and serve it on the plate with black beans, ripe tomatoes, onions and avocado and then put hot sesame oil on top. It is so yummy.

I sautee the rice (uncooked) with olive oil, onions and garlic. This seems to bring out the nutty flavor. I add basil, parsely and sometimes oregano. When the rice is cooked I sometimes also add a bit of soybutter to add creaminess & extra flavor.

I just got another recipe from my mummy... brown rice, semidried tomatoes, fetta, capers and marinated artichoke served warm. It's TDF!

I also tried a fried rice the other night which had oyster sauce, baby corn, baby spinach, water chestnuts, celery and bamboo shoots with ginger and garlic. So yummy

I just got another recipe from my mummy... brown rice, semidried tomatoes, fetta, capers and marinated artichoke served warm. It's TDF!

I also tried a fried rice the other night which had oyster sauce, baby corn, baby spinach, water chestnuts, celery and bamboo shoots with ginger and garlic. So yummy

Both of those sound great! Thanks for posting!