The JADE thread!

I’ve been doing background homework on my next bracelet and tbh the more I read into it, the more I got a little “flustered” by those precious stones that “cannot touch water” :doh: So, I reached out to my jade jeweller and told him to customise a bracelet to my own terms. Been wanting to do something with omphacite jadeite. His carver have these for me. Will see how it’ll turn out.

View attachment 5972008

Here’s the finished product. All the links spacing are equal and according to my exact wrist size :lol: that’s what customisation should be.

7325cea8-1533-4847-abe4-28d9e789dacc.jpeg

Hi I'm new here! I am new to buying jade and am just wondering if I could have some help on working out terms like "bean"-y or "glutinous."

I bought this jade bangle probably a decade ago in China somewhere, I don't recall it being very expensive, maybe $50USD at the time. But since I started wearing it again I noticed how glowy it is and am wondering how you would describe its quality -- broken ice? Icy? It has cotton in it, right? But it's still icy?

green jade.jpg

I then last week bought my second bangle, a lavender and green bangle for a couple hundred dollars, but when I received it I was disappointed at how opaque it was. It is translucent to an extent when you shine a torch through it but it's pretty opaque. Would this be bean quality?

purple jade.jpg

Thanks so much for your help!

Reactions: AJadecent Angle
Hi I'm new here! I am new to buying jade and am just wondering if I could have some help on working out terms like "bean"-y or "glutinous."

I bought this jade bangle probably a decade ago in China somewhere, I don't recall it being very expensive, maybe $50USD at the time. But since I started wearing it again I noticed how glowy it is and am wondering how you would describe its quality -- broken ice? Icy? It has cotton in it, right? But it's still icy?

View attachment 5985881

I then last week bought my second bangle, a lavender and green bangle for a couple hundred dollars, but when I received it I was disappointed at how opaque it was. It is translucent to an extent when you shine a torch through it but it's pretty opaque. Would this be bean quality?

View attachment 5985882

Pics alone is hard to ”weigh“ these terms and moreover it really depends on the beholder. I can’t really comment.

Few hundred dollars is fair for this bangle of some colors. With more translucency, it should go 4 figures minimally. There’s so many factors to dictate the “right” price.

If you do not like it, are you able to return?

• Insightful
Reactions: AJMeow and limom
Pics alone is hard to ”weigh“ these terms and moreover it really depends on the beholder. I can’t really comment.

Few hundred dollars is fair for this bangle of some colors. With more translucency, it should go 4 figures minimally. There’s so many factors to dictate the “right” price.

If you do not like it, are you able to return?

I think not, it's more than the return period of 24 hours :sad:

View attachment 5985881

View attachment 5985882

So if I had to guess (with the caveat that I am no expert but i stare at a lot of jade listings =D), your first bangle was treated. To get a bangle that translucent for $50, it’s unlikely to be Grade A.

I was in China about 10 years ago too and my friends and I all got bangles there for like $100 each. I didn’t know anything about jade at the time, but I started to learn after that, and now i can tell that all our bangles were treated. My bangle looks a lot like yours and I actually sent it to the GIA to verify and it’s polymer injected. I still have it and it has a lot of sentimental value, but I know now there is no way to get that kind of translucency without paying a couple grand (probably more tbh).

So I think you might have to adjust your expectations a bit if you want Grade A. And maybe just spend some time checking out the legitimate online shops to see what expected prices should look like.

I really like the bangle you got but everyone’s tastes differ! I hope you grow to like it!

Reactions: limom and leeaf
So if I had to guess (with the caveat that I am no expert but i stare at a lot of jade listings =D), your first bangle was treated. To get a bangle that translucent for $50, it’s unlikely to be Grade A.

I was in China about 10 years ago too and my friends and I all got bangles there for like $100 each. I didn’t know anything about jade at the time, but I started to learn after that, and now i can tell that all our bangles were treated. My bangle looks a lot like yours and I actually sent it to the GIA to verify and it’s polymer injected. I still have it and it has a lot of sentimental value, but I know now there is no way to get that kind of translucency without paying a couple grand (probably more tbh).

So I think you might have to adjust your expectations a bit if you want Grade A. And maybe just spend some time checking out the legitimate online shops to see what expected prices should look like.

I really like the bangle you got but everyone’s tastes differ! I hope you grow to like it!

Oh right! Oh that story sounds like me, I think I was on a tour with a friend and we both bought bangles, can't remember when or where exactly. But as I've learned more about jade recently I was kind of thinking, gee, how come it's so translucent? Like you, though, it has sentimental value so I don't mind wearing it!

I do like the new bangle! I've noticed in indoor light it looks really lovely, whereas the treated bangle looks nicer in daylight/natural light. Thanks again so much for your thoughts. Learning is a journey, lol!

Reactions: AJMeow
Does anyone have recent info on the quality of jade from Tiffany? I love this Elsa Peretti ring but know nothing of jade. The last time the quality of Tiffany’s jade was mentioned in this thread was 2015. Any updated info would be appreciated!

View attachment 5754710
According to the online guide, the only modification Tiffany makes to jade is to coat it with a colorless substance to “improve surface uniformity.” I have the green jade bean earrings and necklace, and they are stunning.
IMG_0946.png

• Insightful
Reactions: etudes