2024 Resolution: Shopping my own Bag and SLG Collection

ANNUAL COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!!

A long standing trading (9 years and counting!) is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them by color. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

To make this celebration fun, we share bags of a certain color each week.

COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!

• New color weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show pictures from previous years (2016-2023) or even just one photo from when you started your collection to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

COLOR WEEKS

Feb. 11: Red (including burgundy)

Feb. 18: Orange & Yellow

Feb. 25: Purple & Pink

Mar. 3: Blue & Indigo (including turquoise & teal)

Mar. 10: Green

Mar. 17: Black

Mar. 24: Gray

Mar. 31: White & Cream

Apr. 7: Brown & Tan

Apr. 14: Metallic (gold, silver, bronze and more!)

Apr. 21: Jeweled and all other embellished

Apr. 28: Multicolored

If you have posted in previous years, you can search the previous threads to find old photos of your bags to share the journey of your curation

Hmm, I don't really have any back story to any recent bags. I'm pretty good at sticking to my 2 bags a year or 1-in-1-out policy so I don't have many recent bags either.

Usually it's to fill in a functional gap in my bag collection. My recently bought, Celine boston bag is the perfect errand, amusement park, casual bag. I have enjoyed it thoroughly. I brought it to Disneyland this month as well and it was perfect! I've been very happy with it for my errands, etc.
My YSL black on black envelope bag, my previous errand bag, which has gone through much wear since Feb 2017, is now a semi-retired "normal" bag. It's great for casual outings with friends and family, under-the-radar but still dressy enough for my wardrobe.

In the past 2 years, I have loved shoulder bags, so that will probably be my next bag purchase. I'm pretty sure on what I will be getting but I will also be going to Vegas at the end of June, so I am very excited to do some window shopping and see what's in stock. :biggrin: There is a chance I may veer of track (or the planned bag track), if something stunning appears, so we'll see! haha

The contemporary bag before the Celine bag was my Coach Hampton bag that I bought for work. It's a nice slender understated shoulder bag. I have not reached for it when going out, but it's a favorite for all my work trips and work events that require a smaller, more evening-type bag.

The luxury bag before that was my Moynat voyage that I got end of last year, which I have been loving as well. I recently brought in to a work conference this past weekend, and in addition to all my personal items, it was able to hold 2 slices of cake and a mini water bottle (can't resist free food)!

I would have loved to have seen a 'What's in my bag?' when you pulled out 2 pieces of cake! 🍰 🧁 :woot:

My mother is a bal collector, and I’ve come to the conclusion that Bal collectors are leather driven, but there’s only one type of leather they like. I remember how strongly opinionated people were on tPF when they replaced chèvre with agneau, (VintageMama is team Chèvre, and she forgets that, so in the last two years, she’s been snapping up cheap vintage bags, and then giving all the lambskin ones to me).

So if bal collectors keep up their old ways, in 6-8 years, there will be a devoted contingent of buyers who only like this line, and think the older stuff is overhyped.

Personally, I have to remind myself that I don’t need any more lavender in my life. Over the last three years, I’ve become slowly more obsessed with lavender and lilac and the purple bag in that thread looks so cheerful and calm.

And isn’t it marvelous when the substitution is better than the original? I often remind myself of my ysl Mombasa when I’m disappointed - a missed chance to buy something just means something better is coming along.

It’s the Hermes “Flagship” scarf.

I have a deep and abiding weakness for puns (I personally blame Terry Pratchett and Wallace and Lladmo for my sense of humor.) and this scarf just made me laugh and was also pretty.
It’s the Hermes Fabourg Saint Honore store (the heart of the Hermes retail experience (one might call it their flagship store) and the site where I bought my first scarf as a teenager) reimagined as a top of the line 18th century naval vessel - the flagship of the fleet.

it’s the first scarf I’ve purchased in fourteen years.
I have both chevre and agneau Bals. I had to have someone tell me which is which because I can't tell!

I have both chevre and agneau Bals. I had to have someone tell me which is which because I can't tell!

That you for this

Most of Chanel are lamb, a couple fine calf (no caviar) both seem similarly durable So many Chanel lovers are a literally lamb- avoiders. The biggest difference I can see is more in photos, as older lambs-leather bags don't seem photograph as well.

That you for this

Most of Chanel are lamb, a couple fine calf (no caviar) both seem similarly durable So many Chanel lovers are a literally lamb- avoiders. The biggest difference I can see is more in photos, as older lambs-leather bags don't seem photograph as well.
I don’t understand this dynamic with Chanel aficionados. I only own 6 C’s: 5 lamb, 1 caviar (the black jumbo now in DDs primary custody). Most C caviar feels plastic-y / very cheap to me. But, C devotees don’t have the same reaction making me think they may have forgotten what real leather feels like so the grades of caviar is their range of “standard.” I don’t say this in a mean way. I say it in that when you almost exclusively choose from one set of items, that set’s characteristics become your norm.

I actually sold a red caviar jumbo to swap out for my red jumbo in lamb because I couldn’t stand to carry the caviar bag. The extra cost was well worth it. My distaste for caviar leather is one of the many reasons I’m not that interested in more C bags because I don’t want caviar yet I don’t want a lot more lamb bags that have to be babied (a third of my entire handbag collection is lamb.)

I wish more brands offered goatskin. When I’ve owned goatskin bags they were always soft to the touch but very durable. Are there brands that keep goat prominent in their offerings?

Or can we simply bring back more chewy calfskin with construction that let’s the leather shine? A lot of structured bags now are almost “tight” with their construction. I want my structured bags to keep their shape but I also want them to have give for me to easily access my things and for them to feel good when I carry them. So many bags feel like hard boxes which is just as unappealing to me as a formless, black hole sack of a bag.

That you for this

I’ve had 3 Chanel bags-1 navy lamb(bought when I was 19, which I carried for about 11 years), 1 black patent-this wore out…the patent peeled off the edges to show neon green plastic!-I was Horrified..Chanel offered to restore it at vast cost, but seeing my bag look so cheap and nasty put me off it, and a white one.(I think this was calf).

I don’t have any of them anymore, and have gone off the quilted look, since I bought a Chanel lambskin quilted miniskirt in 34, which did me no favours!

I’ve had 3 Chanel bags-1 navy lamb(bought when I was 19, which I carried for about 11 years), 1 black patent-this wore out…the patent peeled off the edges to show neon green plastic!-I was Horrified..Chanel offered to restore it at vast cost, but seeing my bag look so cheap and nasty put me off it, and a white one.(I think this was calf).

I don’t have any of them anymore, and have gone off the quilted look, since I bought a Chanel lambskin quilted miniskirt in 34, which did me no favours!
Wait! The black patent was supported by a green plastic internal structure? That would have put me off as well.

This type of thing is why my first love is and always will be custom, non branded jewelry. There are fewer opportunities for subterfuge. If I buy a certain grade of diamond, gold, etc. there is an easy objective way to confirm authenticity and base value. And I can buy what I want with zero pressure to do mental gymnastics on whether I can get my money back from resale. I have never heard anyone say they buy jewelry with resale in mind and I think this is because 1) Jewelry is less trendy so we don’t feel the need to sell it to “keep up” with the Jonses 2) Historically and culturally we’ve been trained to look at jewelry as assets to be passed through generations 3) There is no robust consumer to consumer jewelry marketplace.

For the 78,293th time I will restate that my ideas, knowledge and preferences evolve over time. So I never truly say never on anything fashion wise. But I’m almost there on saying I’m done with buying the more expensive premier bags - especially new. The prices are in no way reflective of materials + production cost and LVMH is leading the charge on dumbing down artistic expression in design in favor of moving all their brands to the mighty middle to reduce risk.:blah: It’s infinitely informative to me that I’m thrilled to have just bought 5 premier bags resale that totaled less than the price of one current new premier bag I’ve been casually eyeballing.

Apologies for my rant. But, my money needs to buy me sustainable joy. Not an opportunity to be disappointed as I dither over a future problem / possible “flipping” opportunity.

I don’t understand this dynamic with Chanel aficionados. I only own 6 C’s: 5 lamb, 1 caviar (the black jumbo now in DDs primary custody). Most C caviar feels plastic-y / very cheap to me. But, C devotees don’t have the same reaction making me think they may have forgotten what real leather feels like so the grades of caviar is their range of “standard.” I don’t say this in a mean way. I say it in that when you almost exclusively choose from one set of items, that set’s characteristics become your norm.

I actually sold a red caviar jumbo to swap out for my red jumbo in lamb because I couldn’t stand to carry the caviar bag. The extra cost was well worth it. My distaste for caviar leather is one of the many reasons I’m not that interested in more C bags because I don’t want caviar yet I don’t want a lot more lamb bags that have to be babied (a third of my entire handbag collection is lamb.)

I wish more brands offered goatskin. When I’ve owned goatskin bags they were always soft to the touch but very durable. Are there brands that keep goat prominent in their offerings?

Or can we simply bring back more chewy calfskin with construction that let’s the leather shine? A lot of structured bags now are almost “tight” with their construction. I want my structured bags to keep their shape but I also want them to have give for me to easily access my things and for them to feel good when I carry them. So many bags feel like hard boxes which is just as unappealing to me as a formless, black hole sack of a bag.

Gucci Aphrodites are famously goat (Capra) and Anya Hindmarch hobo Neeson, that's woven.

OMG, just goes to show, some bags are just for fashion. I am so sorry. If you still have the skirt, it may not be the piece itself, try to style it differently. I'm wearing leather shorts this morning - I gave them away to a charity shop and then bought them back days later :doh: (took them a different pair) but I'm wearing with a rust turtle-neck, large YSL clip earrings and ankle boots a la early '90s :biggrin:

I can't say anything about newer Chanel but although I don't find the styles the easiest with my aesthetic, the 5 bags I have are beautiful and long lasting. The Cambon tote is not to the same level as the others but it's still a lovely useful bag.

OMG, just goes to show, some bags are just for fashion. I am so sorry. If you still have the skirt, it may not be the piece itself, try to style it differently. I'm wearing leather shorts this morning - I gave them away to a charity shop and then bought them back days later :doh: (took them a different pair) but I'm wearing with a rust turtle-neck, large YSL clip earrings and ankle boots a la early '90s :biggrin:

I can't say anything about newer Chanel but although I don't find the styles the easiest with my aesthetic, the 5 bags I have are beautiful and long lasting. The Cambon tote is not to the same level as the others but it's still a lovely useful bag.
No, I don’t have the skirt-it was literally about 30 years ago.

It made me(less than 40kg at the time) look like a puffball with all that quilting!
I wore it with my N.Peal shell pink ribbed turtle neck cashmere sweater-until my Mother washed it in the machine and shrank it!
Perhaps I didn’t look as huge as all that as I was so tiny, but I always felt very puffy!
I wish I still had my Chanel dresses, as they wouldn’t have dated, and my Haute Couture suits, as they are now the price of rtw virtually these days, but when I moved to Paris again in 2000 and lived in the Palais Royal for 9 years, my style changed again-I did wear YSL Haute Couture until it closed in 2002, but wore bespoke shirts from Charvet and Hilditch, J.Mendel, Jean Claude Jitrois leathers etc..no more Chanel ..

No, I don’t have the skirt-it was literally about 30 years ago.

It made me(less than 40kg at the time) look like a puffball with all that quilting!
I wore it with my N.Peal shell pink ribbed turtle neck cashmere sweater-until my Mother washed it in the machine and shrank it!
Perhaps I didn’t look as huge as all that as I was so tiny, but I always felt very puffy!
I wish I still had my Chanel dresses, as they wouldn’t have dated, and my Haute Couture suits, as they are now the price of rtw virtually these days, but when I moved to Paris again in 2000 and lived in the Palais Royal for 9 years, my style changed again-I did wear YSL Haute Couture until it closed in 2002, but wore bespoke shirts from Charvet and Hilditch, J.Mendel, Jean Claude Jitrois leathers etc..no more Chanel ..

You probably looked adorable. I love the sound of the skirt, but IKWM. Gucci had a silver padded skirt last season. If it hadn't have been padded I may have bought it, but sliver and padded :huh:

I was very slim when I was a dancer too, slimmer than what what be a UK6 now, and I was self-conscious too.

• Love
Reactions: cecchetti
You probably looked adorable. I love the sound of the skirt, but IKWM. Gucci had a silver padded skirt last season. If it hadn't have been padded I may have bought it, but sliver and padded :huh:

I was very slim when I was a dancer too, slimmer than what what be a UK6 now, and I was self-conscious too.
It was ok whilst I was standing up , but rode up when I sat down -not a pretty sight!

Silver And padded is hard to pull off-although if anybody could you would be the person..

Yes, sizes are crazy now..I’m a U.K. 2-4 Now, but I was under/around 6 stone (I’m 4’11”) , narrow shoulders, flat chested, although very muscular legs for a long time and there Was no size 4!
It’s all vanity sizing as everyone is so much bigger these days..
Everyone who knows me Now thinks I’m small, and young looking, but I know what I looked like 35 years ago!

This is me in a Chanel blue silk blouse at about 22(it was so big I didn’t have the skirt on!)

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 39
I don't know if they still do it, but Chloe made some beautiful goatskin bags. I loved the leather, durable yet so soft!

Wait! The black patent was supported by a green plastic internal structure? That would have put me off as well.

This type of thing is why my first love is and always will be custom, non branded jewelry. There are fewer opportunities for subterfuge. If I buy a certain grade of diamond, gold, etc. there is an easy objective way to confirm authenticity and base value. And I can buy what I want with zero pressure to do mental gymnastics on whether I can get my money back from resale. I have never heard anyone say they buy jewelry with resale in mind and I think this is because 1) Jewelry is less trendy so we don’t feel the need to sell it to “keep up” with the Jonses 2) Historically and culturally we’ve been trained to look at jewelry as assets to be passed through generations 3) There is no robust consumer to consumer jewelry marketplace.

For the 78,293th time I will restate that my ideas, knowledge and preferences evolve over time. So I never truly say never on anything fashion wise. But I’m almost there on saying I’m done with buying the more expensive premier bags - especially new. The prices are in no way reflective of materials + production cost and LVMH is leading the charge on dumbing down artistic expression in design in favor of moving all their brands to the mighty middle to reduce risk.:blah: It’s infinitely informative to me that I’m thrilled to have just bought 5 premier bags resale that totaled less than the price of one current new premier bag I’ve been casually eyeballing.

Apologies for my rant. But, my money needs to buy me sustainable joy. Not an opportunity to be disappointed as I dither over a future problem / possible “flipping” opportunity.
I think it's funny how I think of resale value for bags, or depreciation of bags once they're out of the store, which averts me from buying some bags.
However, with jewelry, despite the premium price, does not seem to bother me that much at all. :P

Agree, the price increases always make me think twice. And my money can definitely go to better or more worth-it things. It's a shame that luxury houses have moved in that direction.