Hermes Repair/Refurbish policy - Official Spa Thread

Hi. I hope this is the correct forum to post.

I got my quote from Hermes today and don't understand 2 items. One is
STITCHING 2 TOP GUSSETS - ALL BAGS / ALL LEATHERS170 USD
What is this? I didn't ask for this.

Also, they want to replace touret clasp and I did not notice anything wrong with it??? If I do this, then do I also want to get the gold replaced on the sangles too?
REPL. TOURET CLASP - ALL BAGS / ALL LEATHERS250 USD
Hi, re the Touret, it could be that it's too loose. I sent a vintage bag once and they said it was likely to break when I hadn't noticed anything wrong with it. On mine they recommended replacing the plates on the sangles too, but it would probably depend on the condition of yours. You could reach out to your SA and ask them?

Also, they want to replace touret clasp and I did not notice anything wrong with it??? If I do this, then do I also want to get the gold replaced on the sangles too?
What type of bag is this for? Generally, the gussets are the sides of a bag*. The gussets help to decrease or increase the volume of the inside of a bag (often via tightening or loosening a bag’s sangles). I’m guessing that your Spa invoice is suggesting that some of the stitching on the gusset(s) of your bag needs to be redone.

As far as the touret clasp, I agree with the other member. Maybe it’s too loose? Maybe there is an internal issue with it? I don’t see any reason to replace the other gold plated areas of your bag unless:

A) Your bag is from the early 1980s or before.

or

B) Your bag’s hardware is very scratched/tarnished.

Whatever you decide, I’m wishing your bag a nice, relaxing Spa.:cool:

*For example, gussets are present on Kelly, Birkin, Constance, HAC, Sac à Dépêche, Kelly Dépêche, Jerboise, etc.

Hi, re the Touret, it could be that it's too loose. I sent a vintage bag once and they said it was likely to break when I hadn't noticed anything wrong with it. On mine they recommended replacing the plates on the sangles too, but it would probably depend on the condition of yours. You could reach out to your SA and ask them?
Thank you so so much. I reached out to the 3 people on the quote to ask issue with the Touret. Maybe it is what you mentioned. I just don’t want it to be too gold(shiny) compared to the gold on the sangles but I suppose they would have mentioned if it would have looked off.

Reactions: Tonimichelle
What type of bag is this for? Generally, the gussets are the sides of a bag*. The gussets help to decrease or increase the volume of the inside of a bag (often via tightening or loosening a bag’s sangles). I’m guessing that your Spa invoice is suggesting that some of the stitching on the gusset(s) of your bag needs to be redone.

As far as the touret clasp, I agree with the other member. Maybe it’s too loose? Maybe there is an internal issue with it? I don’t see any reason to replace the other gold plated areas of your bag unless:

A) Your bag is from the early 1980s or before.

or

B) Your bag’s hardware is very scratched/tarnished.

Whatever you decide, I’m wishing your bag a nice, relaxing Spa.:cool:

*For example, gussets are present on Kelly, Birkin, Constance, HAC, Sac à Dépêche, Kelly Dépêche, Jerboise, etc.
Thank you as well for helping! My bag is from 1991 so no tarnishing on sangles but I do want the gold to match so to speak. I hopefully will hear tomorrow on exactly why they are suggesting a new Touret and also gusset stitching issue. It is a nice Kelly (older) but I’m not sure I want to pay for stitching on gusset - like if I don’t do what are the downsides? It looked fine to me.

Thank you as well for helping! My bag is from 1991 so no tarnishing on sangles but I do want the gold to match so to speak. I hopefully will hear tomorrow on exactly why they are suggesting a new Touret and also gusset stitching issue. It is a nice Kelly (older) but I’m not sure I want to pay for stitching on gusset - like if I don’t do what are the downsides? It looked fine to me.
Very welcome!:flowers:

Like other manufacturers of fine or demi-fine metals (i.e. Cartier, Bvlgari, Chopard, etc.), Hermès uses a proprietary 3:1 blend of gold to alloys for their 18K gold plated hardware. As far as I’ve seen, tested, and researched, this blend has remained practically the same since at least the early 90s. That being said, the replaced hardware should be either an exact match or a very close match to the current hardware on your bag (so long as there truly is no visible tarnishing or oxidation).

In regards to the gusset stitching, I would try to figure out exactly how much gusset stitching the atelier is trying to repair and what area of the gusset requires this restitching. The only instances in which I’d recommend replacing stitches are if there are overtightened/skipped stitches* or if the stitches are too loose/unraveling. Otherwise, it likely isn’t necessary. Hopefully when they get back to you, they explain their reasoning for these repairs!;)

*I made a post in reference to overtightened/skipped stitches here.

I've nowhere near the knowledge that others here have however- I've never had an interaction with the spa nor have I heard of anyone who felt that " things that did not need to be done where regardless" .
H artisans do not need to do extra work- they've got plenty.
They take pride in the fact that their products ( and specifically leather) are well made, meant to be used and by definition, can be repaired to be used another 50 years.
I'm a bit doubtful that they are restitching the gussets just because they feel like it- they probably do need it, but because you are living with and using the bag, you did not notice.
Just my thoughts

I've nowhere near the knowledge that others here have however- I've never had an interaction with the spa nor have I heard of anyone who felt that " things that did not need to be done where regardless" .
H artisans do not need to do extra work- they've got plenty.
They take pride in the fact that their products ( and specifically leather) are well made, meant to be used and by definition, can be repaired to be used another 50 years.
I'm a bit doubtful that they are restitching the gussets just because they feel like it- they probably do need it, but because you are living with and using the bag, you did not notice.
Just my thoughts
Agreed. Hermes spa isn’t like your local mechanic who will try to tell you that you need a new transmission when you just brought your car in for an oil change. In fact, I’ve never heard of them insisting on extra work that wasn’t dearly needed. It’s far more common for them to refuse work that the client has requested because they feel it’s unneeded or won’t have a positive outcome. Rarely I’ve seen them return quotes of additional work that they feel could be helpful if the client wants to invest in it but not wholly necessary at this time, but in those instances the work is clearly labelled as optional (for example, replacing the entire kelly handle with double rings on a vintage single ring bag). I would trust their expertise, especially at these low price points, and accept the quoted work.

Ask them for the rationale and any other questions. I think there is also a phone number to call on the quote email, but I honestly don’t recall. . . :smile:

ETA: agree with other posts above. Bc I thought I needed my tiret replaced on one bag and the sangles replaced on another and the repair spa took a long look and said, eh, wait awhile. . . . I do tend to take their recommendations though. If you have the tiret replaced, prepare to wait. . .i had two replaced last year (I posted receipts on the thread which are searchable). And it took a number of months.

Last edited:

The repair craftsman must have noticed considerable wear on those areas that you may have overlooked. You can simply reject that line item.

interesting! what does your screenshot look like? i went from “first steps”/first dot to “exceptional care”/fourth dot quite fast no clue though what that means for the overall timeline…View attachment 5970026
How do you get to this website? I dropped off my Birkin at the end of September 2023 and am still waiting for an estimate, they never sent me the link to track the process!

Hello! I tried to search here first before asking but now here we are 🙈

There’s this 2016 Kelly that I wanted to get but there are a few major issues with it:

1. Scratches/rubbing on corners
2. Cracked (?) leather/got separated
3. Dingy strap

I really want the leather type and color (evercolor in glycine) and thought maybe I could just send it to the spa. The question is could I/would this be something they would accept for fixing? I have read somewhere in this forum that there are some things they don’t touch (like stains? Please correct me if I’m wrong) and if someone could please share their experience I’d really appreciate it

Thank you!!

The bag:

7096EC71-CE16-4E45-8FA5-B7C393E510BE.jpeg

The issues:

IMG_3355.png

IMG_3356.png

IMG_3357.png

Hello! I tried to search here first before asking but now here we are 🙈

There’s this 2016 Kelly that I wanted to get but there are a few major issues with it:

1. Scratches/rubbing on corners
2. Cracked (?) leather/got separated
3. Dingy strap

I really want the leather type and color (evercolor in glycine) and thought maybe I could just send it to the spa. The question is could I/would this be something they would accept for fixing? I have read somewhere in this forum that there are some things they don’t touch (like stains? Please correct me if I’m wrong) and if someone could please share their experience I’d really appreciate it

Thank you!!

The bag:

View attachment 5988920

The issues:

View attachment 5988921

View attachment 5988922

View attachment 5988923
Hi! Based on the pictures provided and the problem areas described, this should be a rather normal repair for Spa to complete. The stains shown on the strap can be cleaned (or re-painted) and the splitting on the flap can be cleaned up and re-stitched (I’ve had this exact same repair done on a few occasions). Spa will not be able to bring leather grain or texture back to the scuffed areas on the corners, but they should be able to clean it up and re-paint as needed.

Of course you should pay via PayPal and/or Amex and have the bag authenticated, but other than that, this shouldn’t be too difficult of a job for Spa!;)

Hi! Based on the pictures provided and the problem areas described, this should be a rather normal repair for Spa to complete. The stains shown on the strap can be cleaned (or re-painted) and the splitting on the flap can be cleaned up and re-stitched (I’ve had this exact same repair done on a few occasions). Spa will not be able to bring leather grain or texture back to the scuffed areas on the corners, but they should be able to clean it up and re-paint as needed.

Of course you should pay via PayPal and/or Amex and have the bag authenticated, but other than that, this shouldn’t be too difficult of a job for Spa!;)
Thank you for your kind (and helpful!) reply! This gives me more confidence now.

• Love
Reactions: r luvs h
Hi all! I am new to the Hermes world, and I would really like to purchase a preloved Blue Atoll B25. This bag has some sever corner wears and I am curious if Hermes spa would still service this discontinued color. Please share any experience widiscontinuedned color spa experience you have.

Thank you :smile: :heart: