Dooney regrets….

I donated bags before I moved here in 2014. I really want to do that again. If I ever decide which bags I don't want I'll offer those to family and friends first and donate the rest.
Good luck with the process. I know how difficult it is. And it's hard no matter if you have
6 bags or 600 bags, or any number in between.

Organization 'experts' would say that
when sorting thru clothing/accessories/etc. divide them into 3 piles.... save, toss (give
away) and undecided. Don't agonize about the undecided until you have completed
the initial sorting. Then you go back to the undecided and try to make some
progress in further deciding what to do with them.

I think this makes sense, not
that it's easy, because it's not. But the first 'quick sort' is a sort of triage...
and gives you the feeling of making some progress and not getting bogged down
by each and every decision.

And now I need to do that too. My collection is totally
out of control. And the prospect of getting it down to a more manageable size
is so overwhelming that I just keep putting off the task. I know that the number
of bags in the 'toss' pile will be small, since I've culled the collection before.
The 'keep' and 'undecided' piles will be large. But maybe I'll get into the
swing of things and make some progress. And it's not as if I won't have
any handbags left.... I'll still have more than enough bags in every color
and style. I guess I hate to 'admit having wasted all the money' I spent by getting rid of
a large number of handbags, many barely used and in pristine condition.

You have a deadline... which makes it hard, but also gives you some
'motivation'.... you have to get the job done in a certain time frame or
come up with some alternatives. And maybe hearing about my challenge
will make your solution more obvious... it's easier to be objective about
what other people are dealing with then with our own tasks. With others,
the emotions don't interfere with the logic as they do when we are
trying to solve our own problems. 😁 Is so easy to think 'how could she
have let that happen' ?)

Whew, I can’t even imagine having to pare down at this point. I think I’m going to gift a vintage coach duffle sac to my niece. I’m gifting another NEW bag… that’s not really making any dents is it? LOL
We are with you Rue. And if you do gift some you know the person who receives it will be happy, thankful, and will love it as much as you do

I sold a few bags that I wasn’t using, but found that doing so left me feeling pretty conflicted. Recently, I decided to donate one to a local women’s shelter for their resale shop. I didn’t question nor regret that decision. Everyone is different. That worked for me.

Good luck with the process. I know how difficult it is. And it's hard no matter if you have
6 bags or 600 bags, or any number in between.

Organization 'experts' would say that
when sorting thru clothing/accessories/etc. divide them into 3 piles.... save, toss (give
away) and undecided. Don't agonize about the undecided until you have completed
the initial sorting. Then you go back to the undecided and try to make some
progress in further deciding what to do with them.

I think this makes sense, not
that it's easy, because it's not. But the first 'quick sort' is a sort of triage...
and gives you the feeling of making some progress and not getting bogged down
by each and every decision.

And now I need to do that too. My collection is totally
out of control. And the prospect of getting it down to a more manageable size
is so overwhelming that I just keep putting off the task. I know that the number
of bags in the 'toss' pile will be small, since I've culled the collection before.
The 'keep' and 'undecided' piles will be large. But maybe I'll get into the
swing of things and make some progress. And it's not as if I won't have
any handbags left.... I'll still have more than enough bags in every color
and style. I guess I hate to 'admit having wasted all the money' I spent by getting rid of
a large number of handbags, many barely used and in pristine condition.

You have a deadline... which makes it hard, but also gives you some
'motivation'.... you have to get the job done in a certain time frame or
come up with some alternatives. And maybe hearing about my challenge
will make your solution more obvious... it's easier to be objective about
what other people are dealing with then with our own tasks. With others,
the emotions don't interfere with the logic as they do when we are
trying to solve our own problems. 😁 Is so easy to think 'how could she
have let that happen' ?)
I enjoy reading your replies! You offer so much good advice. I'm mad at myself because this move has been coming for a long time. I had plenty of time to get this done before now, but it seemed like I had enough time if I started when I did. Now I'm playing "beat the clock". :lol:

Reactions: mushroomNgrass
I sold a few bags that I wasn’t using, but found that doing so left me feeling pretty conflicted. Recently, I decided to donate one to a local women’s shelter for their resale shop. I didn’t question nor regret that decision. Everyone is different. That worked for me.
That's what I did when I moved here. I donated some of my bags to a women's shelter. I want to do that again.

Gosh Rue I’m sorry you have to decide what you want to keep and What to let go. It would be nice to be able to store everything with you. I have vintage coach beauties still in storage. It’s hard to get rid of some things. The storage fees go up constantly. It’s not even been a year and the fees have gone up $100 extra per month. Geez public storage. I feel like I was scammed with a great move in price only to be hosed with an increase after only a couple months….

Im sure I could sell them for a pretty penny but I don’t want to let my vintage coach go. I need to go and get them to incorporate into my collection and carry them again, especially in wet weather. I’ve never had a problem with them getting wet…

I have a nice size Dooney Florentine collection, with basically every bag that I wanted in it. The one regret bag can stay to be revisited later on to see how I feel about it.
Late to the party, but reading about the storage fees....you're So Right! It's awful the way storage facilities trick you into THEIR facility, then they jack the price & just a few months later jack the price again, & it never ends. I've kept a storage unit for 25 years at three different facilities. (No, my leather bags stay at home with me!) Not only the price of a space is an issue now - if you close it out & need one again you'll have a huge problem because for some reason they're all full. I need to downsize the unit but they're all full in a 30 mile radius. It's crazy.
Oh - & regarding donating. Some organizations that work for a good cause will take donations to auction to support their efforts. Locally here The Feral Cat Program of GA has an annual auction.

I have a couple Dooney bags that I don't think I should have bought because they're too stiff, too boxy, and the narrow straps don't sit comfortably on the shoulder. They're awkward and heavy. Similar to the Florentine, which is a beautiful bag don't get me wrong. I was tempted to buy it when it first came out. Worse, the bags I have weren't designed to carry in the rain. They water-spot easily. In contrast to the All-Weather Leather bags of the 1980s and 90s which are indestructible.

Dooney makes some beautiful bags. They're tempting. But I'm no longer venturing beyond my collection of vintage Dooneys mostly due to the bags' boxiness and narrow shoulder straps.

Late to the party, but reading about the storage fees....you're So Right! It's awful the way storage facilities trick you into THEIR facility, then they jack the price & just a few months later jack the price again, & it never ends. I've kept a storage unit for 25 years at three different facilities. (No, my leather bags stay at home with me!) Not only the price of a space is an issue now - if you close it out & need one again you'll have a huge problem because for some reason they're all full. I need to downsize the unit but they're all full in a 30 mile radius. It's crazy.
Oh - & regarding donating. Some organizations that work for a good cause will take donations to auction to support their efforts. Locally here The Feral Cat Program of GA has an annual auction.
Started out $158 and moved into a large unit. Couple months later went to $198… now as of March 2024 the price is $249 a month… RIDICULOUS
This is at public storage. You can’t get into the unit after 9p. I was paying the same amount for a smaller storage area with pods so I guess it’s better than what I had.

Started out $158 and moved into a large unit. Couple months later went to $198… now as of March 2024 the price is $249 a month… RIDICULOUS
This is at public storage. You can’t get into the unit after 9p. I was paying the same amount for a smaller storage area with pods so I guess it’s better than what I had.
Yep, mine is Public Storage too. I moved into it because the last facility had a new renter right across the hall from me who put boxes of MOTHBALLS in her stuff - which of course was not allowed but the damage was already done. 😡 The new PS unit began at $89. I forget the size w/o looking it up, but it's climate controlled too. I don't mind that I can't access after 9pm cause the place is kinda spooky at night, BUT I do mind that it's now $230 month. It's a money pit!

• Angry
Reactions: mushroomNgrass
I regret this drawstring. It's pretty but it's really stiff & not a comfortable carry at all. It would probably soften up if it was carried more often but I just can't make myself do it. Another is a mauve pbl Flynn. Just too big & unwieldy.
I find a lot of the coated cotton bags are heavy and not comfortable to carry. I have gotten rid of most of them in recent years due to the weight. It's unfortunate because they are pretty.

Reactions: Lilybarb
I find a lot of the coated cotton bags are heavy and not comfortable to carry. I have gotten rid of most of them in recent years due to the weight. It's unfortunate because they are pretty.
I don't find the coated cotton to be particularly heavy, but they don't bend easily, so the drawstring I don't think was a good design for the material. The coated cotton is also rough against the body if it's a large bag & comes in contact with your inner arm.

Mainly because it seems to be so popular, even though it’s so different from what I usually carry, I recently bought a pebble grain zip zip satchel and returned it because it’s a boulder, even before you fill it, and it’s awkward to carry. I guess I’m just a small-medium crossbody Dooney gal.

Reactions: KiltyR45 and swags