Has anyone here read...

Asma_

O.G.
Oct 8, 2006
the book written by Carmindy - the makeup artist on TLC's What Not To Wear? It's called 5 Minute Face: The Every Day and Every Night Quick and Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman.

I'm thinking of buying it as a gift for one of my friends as she loves makeup and loves watching the show, and just wanted to know if the book was any good.

Thanks for any help!

I haven't read it, but I think it would be a great gift.

I think she's a good makeup artist. I think she nails it about 9 out of 10 times, but a few times (very few) I think she's made the person look worse. :P

But I say go for it, I think any woman who's fan of the show or of makeup in general would like to read a book like that.

I haven't read it but I would def. check it out. I love Carmindy and watch What Not to Wear all the time. If you friend likes it and watches the show it's a pretty good idea so I'd say go for it.

I would be thrilled if someone gave this to me! I think it is a great book (from what I have heard and saw when I flipped through the book in the store) for people who aren't necessarily experienced with wearing makeup. She makes it very easy.

I think she is very talented, especially given the fact that most of the women she does makeovers on don't take good care of their skin (exfoliation, hydration, etc).

Its one thing to make a celebrity look good who gets facials and peels, but quite another to make the What Not To Wear participants look good! LOL

I have it. I would recommend it. It has ALL kinds of makeup tips! It has all kinds of stuff about what looks good on what skin tones and at different ages and it also has what make up brands she recommends for all the above from drugstore brands to expensive ones, plus a whole lot more...I hope that helps, I can elaborate more if you'd like.

I like her on the show and I bet her book would be amazing. I would love for her to do my makeup sometime. I would love to know how to do my makeup a lot better. I had no clue she even wrote a book so I will have to look for it tomorrow.
The person I like the least on the show is Nick (the hairstylist). There have been too many times that I have seen him give really bad haircuts. I would not want him to do my hair. That is my personal opinion.

I have it. I would recommend it. It has ALL kinds of makeup tips! It has all kinds of stuff about what looks good on what skin tones and at different ages and it also has what make up brands she recommends for all the above from drugstore brands to expensive ones, plus a whole lot more...I hope that helps, I can elaborate more if you'd like.

Hey, would you say the book is more for those who are already good at applying makeup, or those who are still figuring out how to apply it nicely? Cuz I'm the latter...my friend is the former. LOL. Thanks for the help.

I'm not always impressed with his haircuts either. Sometimes I get the feeling the clients are disappointed too.

I really wish he would do something with his own hair! In an episode I watched tonight (it may have been a repeat, I'm not sure), his hair was so greasy and stringy, it was just awful.

Hey, would you say the book is more for those who are already good at applying makeup, or those who are still figuring out how to apply it nicely? Cuz I'm the latter...my friend is the former. LOL. Thanks for the help.

I would say that it is good for both. It has step by step instructions and pictures for basic make up application(the 5 minute face) starting from foundation then under-eye concealer, spot concealing,powder,highlighter, blush, eyeliner,mascara and lip color. But, there is also more advanced things like creating a smokey eye, a black tie party look, retro look, natural look, and tons more and then in the back there is a shopping guide of cheap and expensive brands of make up for all of the looks. I hope this helps!..hah