Discriminated for being a man

feminineguy27

Sep 30, 2022
Earlier this week I went to my local tory burch store to see if they had any knee high riding style boots as I really wanted a pair and as soon as I got there a staff member asked if I was here for my wife which they never normally do, when I asked to try on one of the knee high boots in my size, I was told men probably shouldn't wear these and womens shoes on men isn't great (I was also wear black revas at the time) and whilst trying them on had a women who was also shopping for these boots say I'm a disgrace of a man for trying them on.
What should I do about this, should I complain to tory burch about this?

If I'm reading this correctly, the woman calling you a disgrace( I'm assuming customer) I don´t think you could complain about( probably wouldn't be worth the hassle either tbh). BUT everybody working there saying you shouldn't buy "women's" items you should definitely "report". Not their business and not ok. The part about shopping for a wife is dismissible if not said with obvious glee or sarcasm. Lastly which boots were you looking at? inquiring minds etc... :biggrin:

If I'm reading this correctly, the woman calling you a disgrace( I'm assuming customer) I don´t think you could complain about( probably wouldn't be worth the hassle either tbh). BUT everybody working there saying you shouldn't buy "women's" items you should definitely "report". Not their business and not ok. The part about shopping for a wife is dismissible if not said with obvious glee or sarcasm. Lastly which boots were you looking at? inquiring minds etc... :biggrin:
+1, I also agree that the employee’s conduct should be reported
and I am so sorry this happened

Maybe SA meant that female shoes are eg. too narrow for typical men but didn't phrase this well (or let you decide how you feel about the shoes)? i have very long (men's size range) feet but narrow so when I try men's sneakers or loafers they are too wide, can imagine the opposite situation can happen.
The customer's comment - disgraceful, I am sorry that you experienced this.

It depends on the context. Was the SA trying to be helpful or was she really discriminating? Maybe those boots were too delicate for a man to wear. I know if my husband tried to wear my shoes they'd probably break within a week. You're not a disgrace. Everyone has the right to live how they want to and be happy, as long as it's not dangerous to other people or the community. If you feel that she really did discriminate against you I would talk to the manager or send corporate an email.

Reactions: baghabitz34
Oh ok yeah I probably won't complain about her, yeah I will try and report the staff thanks and yeah he was sounding a bit rude and he definitely was being rude when saying if I'm here for my wife, I got these boots (this is me wearing them the day I got them) and they are called the tory burch brooke knee high dsc04410.jpg

It depends on the context. Was the SA trying to be helpful or was she really discriminating? Maybe those boots were too delicate for a man to wear. I know if my husband tried to wear my shoes they'd probably break within a week. You're not a disgrace. Everyone has the right to live how they want to and be happy, as long as it's not dangerous to other people or the community. If you feel that she really did discriminate against you I would talk to the manager or send corporate an email.
I could tell by the way she said it and the way she looked at me that she was discriminating because I'm a guy, aww thank you so much that means alot and yeah I might do that thanks

Reactions: brnicutie
Maybe SA meant that female shoes are eg. too narrow for typical men but didn't phrase this well (or let you decide how you feel about the shoes)? i have very long (men's size range) feet but narrow so when I try men's sneakers or loafers they are too wide, can imagine the opposite situation can happen.
The customer's comment - disgraceful, I am sorry that you experienced this.
The way she said it means that she was being rude to me and I have narrow womens sized feet so prefer womens shoes and thanks so much that means alot

• Wow
Reactions: EmilyM11
Oh ok yeah I probably won't complain about her, yeah I will try and report the staff thanks and yeah he was sounding a bit rude and he definitely was being rude when saying if I'm here for my wife, I got these boots (this is me wearing them the day I got them) and they are called the tory burch brooke knee high View attachment 5632388
They look great on you! It goes with your entire outfit and looks very put together. :smile:

The way she said it means that she was being rude to me and I have narrow womens sized feet so prefer womens shoes and thanks so much that means alot
Definitely then you should report this then. I sometimes get weird and unpleasant stare when I ask for men's shoes (yes Golden Goose in London talking to you) and I wish I reported it in the past. There are many other things that went wrong in that conversation - eg. question about wife. Staff of this store needs training pronto.