Carrying your Birkin...Open or Closed?

Luciana12

Black and Rouge H
O.G.
Sep 29, 2006
Hi, Folks.

I've been carrying a birkin daily for the last 14 years...always wide open with clochette, keys and lock carefully suspended (and perfectly symmetrical) from the right front handle (when facing the bag). I've noticed that some members choose to remove the clochette and lock...and some wear it beautifully closed. Is one mode considered to be more "chic" than the other...or is it just a matter of personal taste? Any opinions?

My thanks.

I always wear my birkin open and tucked in. IMO open is more attractive than closed, but everything falls out in the car. Kelly i wear with straps loose but turnplate closed. With the straps loose, it's not fussy and you can close it easily and nothing falls out. I'd never use an open birkin in NYC, with all those perps.

I wear mine open when I'm moving about... it's much more convenient and less fussy that way. Especially when trying to locate my ringing handphone from inside the bag!!

During airplane rides or in busy public places where I have to sit still for a long time though, I usually close my bag. Just seems too risky to have my wallet and belongings in a bag that's wide open...