Does anyone have a good recomendation for a messenger bag?

banana republic has a very nice, classic brown leather version on their site right now for $198. my friend got a fossil one from macy's for the same price and it looked great too. the straps were even made of leather instead of the usual woven nylon

I recently bought a messenger bag from Timbuk2 and it is the real thing, a 100% authentic bike-messenger bag. I lug a lot of stuff back and forth to work, and this bag is perfect -- lightweight, excellent quality, and fits a ton. I used the Build Your Own option, and chose exactly what colors and features I wanted. Highly recommended!

If you are interested in unusual fabrics and don't need the bag in a hurry, perhaps you could take a look at this Dutch seller's messengers (recycling army bags):

katrinakaye

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6363402

katrinakayezulu.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5923295

katrinakayecarameldelux.jpg

When I was in college I used an Eddie Bauer messenger that has held up pretty well through the years (my BF now uses it -- it's almost 10yrs old now!). I have also used Timbuk2, though as more of a commuting/work bag and not for school. They are pretty sturdy though so I think it would hold up.

Happy942 -- what kind of Manhattan Portage do you have? I've just ordered the Small DJ but am now thinking that might be too big. I was looking for a utilitarian everyday bag that could hold my staples -- wallet, water bottle, small book, small Moleskines, cell, keys. I was going by dimensions listed online and opted for the Small over the XSmall... I sometimes hate ordering things from online... :confused1:

When I was in college I used an Eddie Bauer messenger that has held up pretty well through the years (my BF now uses it -- it's almost 10yrs old now!). I have also used Timbuk2, though as more of a commuting/work bag and not for school. They are pretty sturdy though so I think it would hold up.

Happy942 -- what kind of Manhattan Portage do you have? I've just ordered the Small DJ but am now thinking that might be too big. I was looking for a utilitarian everyday bag that could hold my staples -- wallet, water bottle, small book, small Moleskines, cell, keys. I was going by dimensions listed online and opted for the Small over the XSmall... I sometimes hate ordering things from online... :confused1:

I have the expandable basic Europa. I mainly use it when I have to carry a lot though, like a laptop or books. I thought it would be too small when I initially ordered it (online too) but it expands and fits everything perfectly. I think the Europa is a little bigger than the Small DJ bag... maybe you should trade it in for the xsmall? I do love the simplicity and durability of MP bags.