Food How to Make Butter Chicken

apple_28

O.G.
May 18, 2006
Hi, I thought of searching the internet for recipes but I those are never good enough really... I prefer actual home recipes which always taste better. :smile:

Do you guys have a recipe for yummy better chicken that you can share with me? Without too much spice please.. my tongue is weak

it says butter chicken, hehe...

i love to simply roast chicken. sometimes i make a simple herb butter (room temp. butter mixed with your favorite herbs - thyme, sage, herbs de provence, etc) and rub it UNDER the skin on the breast and in every nook and cranny....stuff the bird with an onion cut in half and a lemon cut in half.....very simple and tastes great, moist. the best part are the drippings left in the roasting pan....skim some of the fat and make a gravy with it for your chicken, yum!

Here's a few easy recipes:

Brush bone-in, skin on chicken breasts with melted butter, then sprinkle on Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning (in the spice aisle). I'm pretty sure it's by McCormick.

Pound or slice boneless, skinless breast into thinner cutlets. Brush with olive oil and grill. Towards them being done, brush on some barbecue sauce. Don't put it on too early or the barbecue sauce will burn.

Pound or slice boneless, skinless breast into thinner cutlets, then marinate in bottled Italian salad dressing. Try to marinate for at least a few hours, then grill.

Pound or slice boneless, skinless breast into thinner cutlets, then brush with olive oil and sprinkle on Mrs. Dash Grilling spice for chicken. I usually bake these, but you can grill also.

I usually have it so the breast are thinner, that way they bake or grill quicker and we're usually rushed for time at dinnertime.

Hi, I thought of searching the internet for recipes but I those are never good enough really... I prefer actual home recipes which always taste better. :smile:

Do you guys have a recipe for yummy better chicken that you can share with me? Without too much spice please.. my tongue is weak

I know but you say better chicken right here so I thought butter was a typo....no idea how to make butter chicken

yeah sorry I got confused as well initially...

here's a recipe (I haven't tried it) but if you don't want it too spicy you can cut back on the amount of garlic and chilli powder and adjust later with more...this is from cuisinedumonde.com

Butter Chicken Recipe

• 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 onion
  • ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons of crushed garlic
  • 2 teaspoons of crushed ginger
  • ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons of chilli powder
  • 1 tablespoon of coriander
  • 400 grams / 14 oz of skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts
  • ¼ to ½ cup ground almonds
  • 225 gram / 8 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes with juice
  • 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
  • ½ cup of unsweetened yoghurt
With chicken there is always a risk of food poisoning, so it is important to clean your hands, board and knives before and after working with the raw meat. Trim and cut the chicken into small cubes, cover and put aside. With a clean knife and board slice the onions into thin wedges (lyonnaise). Heat a large saucepan or frying pan and melt 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter until it is frothy. Add the onions and the cinnamon to the pan and fry lightly. When the onions are soft stir in the crushed garlic and ginger. Then add the turmeric, chilli and coriander, and sauté over a medium heat. The spices are fried first to release their maximum flavour and this really enhances the dish. Add the cubed chicken and sauté stirring constantly until the chicken has turned white. Pour in the ground almonds, tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix thoroughly. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add the yoghurt and heat through. Serve on rice with a salad and Indian bread if desired. (Serves 4 to 6)

With any Indian food I find tasting as I go and making adjustments is really really helpful. Also, roast your spices first and if anything seems more fragrant that usual, use less! Remember you can always add!

Here's a random butter chicken recipe I found while reading someone's food blog:

Marinade
  • 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, cut into pieces
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. garam masala
  • 1 tsp Coriander Powder
  • 1 Tbl. garlic paste
  • 1 Tbl. ginger paste
  • juice from one lemon
  • 1 tsp. salt
Gravy
  • 4 Tbls. butter
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 Tbls. ginger paste
  • 1 Tbls. garlic paste
  • 2 cups tomato puree
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • 1 tsp. garam masala
  • 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
  • 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
  • 4 tsp. clover honey (optional)
In a large glass bowl, mix in the yogurt, chili powder, garam masala, coriander, garlic paste, ginger paste, lemon and salt. Add the chicken to the yogurt melange, coating thoroughly. Cover the glass bowl with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator. Allow the chicken to marinate for a minimum of 3 hours.
Pre heat oven to 300 degrees. Place marinated chicken in a glass baking dish and place in oven for 15 minutes.
Place large skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter. Sautee the onions until translucent. Add the ginger and onion paste and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato puree and cream. Add the masal, coriander and chilli powder. Add the chicken, and allow to cook for 10-12 minutes. At this point, add the honey if you're so inclined.
Serve over rice.
Serves 4

if you go to an indian food store, u can find ready mixes, and spices, where all you do is have to add chicken and some ingredients like tomatoes, onions, etc. i find those really good cuz i can alter the ingredients based on what i have at home and what i feel like :P

Patak is my favorite brand of the jars n' mixes. You can also just go to your local South Asian grocery store and announce that you want to make butter chicken and become the instant recipient of all kind of advice, and probably get to see some very lively discussions on the subject as well!