The Beckhams Vs Regis Philbin & Kelly Ripa

Jan 23, 2006
USTVhost1LL_468x363.jpg

US TV royalty: Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa
USTVhostLL_468x547.jpg

Gormless and pouting: America’s Richard and Judy spoof the Beckhams
1WCoverBeckhamAP_468x623.jpg

Posh and Becks appeal: the couple posed for racy photoshoot for American fashion bible W

Gormless and pouting: America’s Regis and Kelly spoof the Beckhams

The arrival of the Beckhams in California has caused a sensation on both sides of the Atlantic - but it appears some Americans might already be suffering from overkill.

The celebrity couple begin their new lives in Los Angeles as David is today officially unveiled as the LA Galaxy football team's new star player.
But the first signs of a backlash against Brand Beckham are beginning to show.

Yesterday they received their first public mocking when daytime TV talk show hosts Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa - America's answer to Richard and Judy - mimicked them live on air.

Considered talk show royalty across America, the couple are not known for their insults, preferring to embrace and encourage the celebrity culture.

But the pair had their surprised audience in stitches as Regis adopted a gormless-looking expression while Kelly struck a hands-on-hips pose and pouted right into the camera.
David, 32, should have no problems with his popularity but Victoria, 33, could find she has an uphill struggle on her hands trying to promote herself across the Atlantic as a fashion expert and talk show host.

Her reality TV show - Victoria Beckham: Coming To America - which follows Posh around LA, airs next Monday and she managed to rope in hubby to pose with her for a provocative shoot for W Magazine.

She told the magazine: "I think people people are really going to see me for the first time.

"I think they have this impression that I'm this miserable cow who doesn't smile. But I'm actually quite the opposite."
But Melanie Bromley of Us Weekly magazine was unconvinced, saying: "Victoria will have to get some personality, she's a slightly two-dimensional character for Americans."

TV & ShowBiz

I guess in a celeb world no publicity is bad publicity. No? (OK, Britney Spears doesn't count.:throwup:) I don't think being mocked by Regis and Kelly is that bad.:P

Aw man, did that come out today? I missed it because news pre-empted it.

Kelly did a good job looking the part. Regis just looks pathetic. LOL! Regis cracks me up.

But Melanie Bromley of Us Weekly magazine was unconvinced, saying: "Victoria will have to get some personality, she's a slightly two-dimensional character for Americans."

Sorry, but I think Melanie Bromley (whoever she is) is living under a rock - VB DOES have great personality and I think many people will find that out when they watch her show on Monday (or at least I hope they watch her show!). If she (Melanie) wants to talk celebs with no personalities, how about starting with Jen Aniston.:rolleyes:

I saw VB on The Daily 10 last night, and she was so cute. I never really heard her speak before, so I was suprised to hear her voice is very sweet and childlike. And I love that british accent. I can't wait to watch her reality show. She is beautiful. Although I think that she should grow her hair out.

I think its wrong to say VB has no personality - every single interview i saw with her was so nice and funny. I think she is very sweet and charming actually! And saying that she is 2dimensional for american public ?? common , no offence to american public but we know that soooo many people in america are famous for having no personality and just having a lot of exposure. Is she saying that british have no standards by that? i always thought that British humour was much smarter and much more intelligent than american humour.

And saying that she is 2dimensional for american public ?? common , no offence to american public but we know that soooo many people in america are famous for having no personality and just having a lot of exposure. Is she saying that british have no standards by that? i always thought that British humour was much smarter and much more intelligent than american humour.

Well said (no disrepect intended!)

I guess in a celeb world no publicity is bad publicity. No? (OK, Britney Spears doesn't count.:throwup:) I don't think being mocked by Regis and Kelly is that bad.:P

They have been mocked by everybody - I don't think they really care anymore - they probably thought it was funny because they both have a wicked sense of humour.

I actually think that David looks really hot in that photo. :graucho:

Eh, Regis & Kelly are like two fluffy puppies - harmless and adorable.

Did I mention that David looked hot?