Why Do People Buy Fake Designer Bags Or Fake Designer Anything?

cordeeelia said:
Though i have not purchased any fake designer bags or bought any genuine designer bags, i find that the reason why some people who responded to this thread & own genuine designer bags are "disgusted" or "do not respect" these people who carry fake designers is because they feel a form of superiority over these people because they can afford these handbags or they feel resentment that these people paid only a meagre sum to obtain a similar or exact looking product and that they had paid a fortune to get the original. I can understand how that feels.

Not all replicas are of bad quality. My relative gave me a fake Louis Vuitton bag which is of excellent quality! I had it for 5 years now & it still looks just the same as the day i got it. I dont use it much so i lend it to my sister instead. I dont really like Louis Vuitton & Gucci bags, as i find their designs a bit tacky that is why i haven't bothered using it but am suprised at its durability.

On the other hand, one of my friends who have a fake Louis Vuitton wallet, only kept hers for 3 months before it fell apart.

In my opinion, Louis Vuitton & Gucci bags are so common these days that no one even bothers whether its genuine or not. Who cares if your bag is genuine or fake if the users gets its maximum use on it & the bag serves you well? After all, it is just a bag, if you like it that much you wouldn't be angry that people are carrying your bag in fakes or people are carrying the genuine one and you're carrying a fake, you will be too enthralled by its beauty to even bother!

To be honest, after reading some terrible comments on people carrying fake designer bags from people who have genuine designer bags, i think i shall pick up a fake designer bag if i get the chance, probably on Ebay. At least the people who carry fake designer bags don't look down on other people, and dont insult people for having a choice over what they feel is worth it & what is not.

Both Fake & Genuine bags rock! :smile:

:heart: I love it how you are very real and honest in this opinion!!!

well I think the truth is many people cannot afford to spend 1000 on a purse. For some people 1000 is the amount they have to feed themselves for one entire month... Unless those people want to strave for 1 month just to buy 1 bag - they cannot afford the real deal. A knockoff may mean nothing to us but a knockoff might well mean the world to some...

I went for a walk and decided to have a cup of tea at a cafe on Charleville and Beverly Dr. (Beverly Hills, CA). I spent about three hours looking at women's purses. I counted 14 fakes (that I could recognize ... many more I might have missed). Yes, there were lots of real ones, I believe I saw more than 150 women in three hours!!!
But I still wonder: Why do you think women wear replicas? Do you in your neighborhood encounter as many replicas? or is it just Beverly Hills kinda thing?

I am curious. :confused1:

Simply put, people want the perceived "status" that goes along with a high priced bag. In my opinion that has to be it because if they simply wanted a similar bag but not blatant counterfeit, there are plenty of those out there.

Simply put, people want the perceived "status" that goes along with a high priced bag. In my opinion that has to be it because if they simply wanted a similar bag but not blatant counterfeit, there are plenty of those out there.
Very well put....but they won't get the quality. I haven't gotten a new purse for so long caz I am saving up my money to get a Chanel bag....I think it would be better to just save your money and get something of quality.

Yes, I think it is about status and not quality at all. You are SO right. I don't own too many designer bags as I can't afford them all the time. There are, out there, so many pretty well made non designer bags that it has to be the status thing.

But if it's for status they're being kinda silly because carrying a fake is not a status symbol.:confused1:
They should get the real thing to achieve that status symbol goal.:yes:
They probably think that they're fooling people and they probably are fooling alot of people.:Push:

Sadly, I think there are still women out there who bought from E-bay or were given fake bags as gifts and are completly unaware that they are carrying fakes.

some justify they like the design and look but baulk at paying the price for a seasonal item... a lot of people I know can well afford to buy the real deal but it is kind of subersive to get the fake so as the be the "smarter" one who saved more money... but it's them. this is why my nasty colleague parades around with her fakes mimicking my Balenciaga colours one on one....cause it's probably a statement that she is smart to get a fake while there are people (like me) who are stupid to buy into the brand and pay top $$$.
But personally, I don;t like the feel and look of fake bags.. you just feel different.. everytime there is a big occassion, don;t you find that you just reach for your most expensive (real) bag? The people who carry fakes pride themselves on having the smarts and the resources to get a very good copy... but they will never fool us Pfers.. even my husband is so clued in he can spot a fake B-bag walking down the street 10m away!

For most it is a status symbol. This is the reason why LV's, logo'd Gucci, Fendi, etc. are the most faked. Because they are the easiest to identify as designer handbags. You have to remember that most people cannot identify fakes. We Pf'ers do because we have adopted a keen eye for fakes.

Reactions: Elmk
How can somebody endorsing sweat shops and fake stuff feel she is "subversive" or "smarter" than somebody who buys a legit product that was made at a place where workers are treated like human beings?