Heel and Flat all in one.

HubbaWubba

Mar 7, 2007
I don't know how to post pictures but you can see on the link what they look like.

http://www.ilovesheilas.com/ILS/News/ES_000209.html

SHEILAS’ HEELS SET TO REVOLUTIONISE DRIVING FOR WOMEN

- A safe flat and sassy heel in one -

Give your opinion on the ‘Sheila Driving Heel’ by clicking on one the email links below and press send:

Love the ‘Sheila Driving Heel’ / Hate the ‘Sheila Driving Heel’

So far 100% of people Love the ‘Sheila Driving Heel’

A new footwear design concept that aims to make women safer and more comfortable behind the wheel, without compromising on their style, is launched today.

Sheilas’ Wheels has developed the ‘Sheila Driving Heel’ which gives women the best of both worlds - a safe, flat driving shoe and a glamorous pair of heels in one - all interchangeable at a push of a button.

More than 11.5 million* women drivers in the UK are putting themselves and other drivers at risk by wearing the wrong footwear when behind the wheel, according to new research from Sheilas’ Wheels – the car insurer for women.

One in ten (10%) female motorists admit that they have had a car accident or a ‘near-miss’ because of their shoes slipping off or getting stuck between, or under, the foot pedals whilst driving.

The ‘Safe Shoes’ report shows that a massive 80% of female drivers wear inappropriate footwear when in control of a car – choosing style over safety. A third (33%) of all female drivers confess to wearing flip-flops, while 18% claim that they have worn no shoes at all when driving, which experts say can be extremely hazardous and is currently illegal in some parts of the UK**.

In fact, just under half (47%) of women drivers said they chose what shoes to wear when getting ready in the morning based on what went best with their outfit rather than being the safest for driving in.

Under a fifth (17%) of female drivers keep a spare pair of ‘driving shoes’ in the car to change into, while nearly a quarter (23%) admit they can’t be bothered to change their shoes when behind the wheel even if they know they are not the safest for driving.

Jacky Brown, spokesperson for Sheilas’ Wheels, said: “It’s astonishing that so many women are putting themselves, their passengers and other drivers at risk by wearing the wrong shoe or no shoe at all whilst behind the wheel. Stilettos, sling-backs and strappy sandals aren’t the sensible choice when it comes to controlling a car.

“Our Sheila Driving Heel design could provide safety-conscious female motorists with the ultimate driving shoe - allowing women to wear a safe flat shoe whilst driving, and a fashionable heel once they are out of the car.”

The report highlighted that 63% of women called for better guidelines to advise them on the correct form of footwear to wear when driving. A lack of understanding is clearly evident as over half (54%) of female motorists believed that sports trainers were the safest shoes to drive in - even though their thick soles and chunky design limit both movement between, and contact with, the pedals.

Dianne Ferreira, spokesperson for Brake the national road safety charity, added: “An alarming number of female drivers simply do not realise the danger they are putting themselves, and others, in by driving in inappropriate shoes. High heels, platforms and flip-flops can seriously hamper your ability to drive safely, and could have fatal consequences. It only takes a few seconds to change your shoes before each journey to help ensure you arrive safely.”

The Safe Shoes report also reveals that although two thirds of women (66%) wear heels when behind the wheel, they cited a number of disadvantages - all of which are eliminated by the ‘Sheila Driving Heel’ design:

• It damages or scuffs the back of the heel (52%) – with the ‘Sheila Driving Heel’ design, the heel tucks up into the shoe and out of harms way

• Heels can sometimes get caught under the pedal when driving (49%) - the flat shoe option removes this potentially dangerous problem

• Wearing heels causes an uncomfortable driving position (43%) – the flat shoe option lessens pressure on the knee and lower back, improving comfort behind the wheel

• Heels don’t provide enough grip (31%) – the ‘Sheila Driving Heel’ shoe has a discrete yet effective tread on the sole, to aid grip on the pedals

• It wears out the driving mat (17%) – the ‘Sheila Driving Heel’ shoe has a curved back to aid pivoting of the ankle and remove the possibility of damage
-Ends-

"In fact, just under half (47%) of women drivers said they chose what shoes to wear when getting ready in the morning based on what went best with their outfit rather than being the safest for driving in. "

Who are these alleged 53% of women who choose what shoe to wear that day based on which is safest to drive in?

If women are not interested in changing their shoes for driving, I find it a little difficult to believe that they they are going to be interested in converting their shoe into a different mode for driving vs. everything else.

Eh. Not that crazy about the look. As far as driving goes ... I just keep a pair of flats in my car to wear on my way to work and then change them when I get there. Not that hard to do IMO ...

Maybe it's late and my brain power is at low levels, but why would it be considered dangerous?

Yeah I second that. I never bought the idea that it was dangerous. I felt MORE in control driving barefoot than with shoes. It was nice having actual contact with the pedal. It's certainly safer than wearing 5in heels, but that's not illegal. Maybe the shoe lobby pushed the law in congress to increase sales :P.