Urgent question for anyone that is Jewish

rosieroseanna

Spenderella
O.G.
Dec 9, 2006
As you know I am a teacher. We have an RE inspection this week where we are asked lots of questions about the 3 main religions we teach and where we show evidence against the standards etc. Anyway one thing that no one is sure of and that we can't seem to find the answer to in any books is why Jewish New Year is in September, if anyone knows please tell me!!:yes:

The link Emily provided is very thorough. Also, Jewish holidays follow the Hebrew calendar, which is based on lunar months. That's why things like Hannukah change dates every year.

The link Emily provided is very thorough. Also, Jewish holidays follow the Hebrew calendar, which is based on lunar months. That's why things like Hannukah change dates every year.
All the holidays and festivals change dates, for us, each year... the Jewish New Year, Simchot Torah, Chanukah, Tu B'Shevat, Purim, Passover... etc. That's because as you said, it is the Jewish calendar that is followed.

If you follow the Jewish calendar. ...the holidays are actually on the same date each year... Chanukah is always on the 25th of Kislev, for example. But since we don't use that calendar, but use the Gregorian calendar, which follows the solar year, the dates change all the time, here in the Western world.

So.... why does Rosh Hashanah start in September? That's when the "New Year" starts... Rosh Hashanah means "the first of the year." It's celebrated on the first and second day of Tishri. (It can be late certain years, and fall on a day in October too.)

I looked this up for you.

According to the Gregorian calendar, which is the calendar we use... Rosh Hashanah will start:

September 12, 2007
September 29, 2008
September 18, 2009

All the holidays and festivals change dates, for us, each year... the Jewish New Year, Simchot Torah, Chanukah, Tu B'Shevat, Purim, Passover... etc. That's because as you said, it is the Jewish calendar that is followed.

If you follow the Jewish calendar. ...the holidays are actually on the same date each year... Chanukah is always on the 25th of Kislev, for example. But since we don't use that calendar, but use the Gregorian calendar, which follows the solar year, the dates change all the time, here in the Western world.

So.... why does Rosh Hashanah start in September? That's when the "New Year" starts... Rosh Hashanah means "the first of the year." It's celebrated on the first and second day of Tishri. (It can be late certain years, and fall on a day in October too.)

Very well explained, Jayne1.

Now if I could just get my clueless boss to understand......

I honestly don't think she'd ever met a Jew before me. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much guys! Are you actually Jewish or just very knowledgeable?:smile: The other thing we were wondering is, Christians and Muslims have charities that they are supposed to give money to, do Jewish people have any certian religious charity?

^ I took a world religions course but It was based entirely on Islam, it was my best A level I took, just because I was fascinated for all of my lectures!
I love reading about religion, I cant think of anything that is more interesting!