My Duck Story...

cupcake

O.G.
May 5, 2006
Just wanted to share my experience from this morning with all of you animal lovers...

I work downtown and a mama duck made her nest outside our building in a large planter. We have a river that goes through downtown and our building isn't too far from the river. I've been feeding and watering mama duck for about a month while she nested on her eggs. Our building manager even put a sign out cautioning people that she was in there.

Last night when I left work I discovered that the eggs were beginning to hatch. Around 9:00 p.m. I came back downtown to check on them since I live just a couple miles away. I was so worried about them last night that I hardly slept at all. In order for her to get to the river she was going to have to cross four lanes of traffic and I was afraid she'd try it overnight and get hit.

When I came in this morning she and the ducklings were still there. Our receptionist went down to get our mail about a half hour after I arrived and she ran in to tell me that they were all gone. She said that she could hear them peeping but that she didn't know where they were. I rushed downstairs with one of my coworkers and we found them splashing around in a puddle in the parking lot.

From there, I guided her to the river. I STOPPED TRAFFIC for her and the babies and I actually walked them all the way to the water. She didn't want to go down the ramp on the east side of the river so I ended up walking her across the bridge and down to the water. I was amazed by how much she trusted me because she let me pick the babies up a few times when they couldn't get up the curb or down a steep area.

Thankfully, mama and here nine ducklings made it safe into the river. Needless to say, I ended up requesting a half personal day seeing that I got absolutely nothing done this morning. I just had to make sure they made it over okay! Here are some photos from our journey:

From last night, when they were a couple hours old:

Photo_060707_017.jpg

Starting in the puddle:

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

You are so sweet to do that! The pictures of the babies and the mama duck are so cute!! I hope they stay safe and don't try to cross the street on their own!

I rescued ducklings from train tracks last spring, they were so cute and SOFT!!! Lol, wanted to take one home but we reunited the babies with their mom.

How crazy! I was just reading this to DH and he saw the same thing earlier this week in our town! You are a blessed soul for helping these little guys out!!! How neat!! Have a great weekend!

Thanks, everyone! :yes:

I really don't think I did anything too wonderful, though. I'm just wired that way when it comes to animals. Most women have a strong maternal instinct and have a natural nurturing way when it comes to children. Not me - my nurturing instincts are toward animals!!

I rescued ducklings from train tracks last spring, they were so cute and SOFT!!! Lol, wanted to take one home but we reunited the babies with their mom.
I thought the same exact thing! I couldn't believe how soft they were!! :tender:

That's awesome that you rescued ducklings from train tracks and got them back to their mama!