FASHION RESOLUTIONS 2014 and the shape of things to come...

ladysarah

O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
... so I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas break and is ready to spruce up their wardrobes for 2014 - I was in the process of jotting down a few notes when I stumbled upon this blog: http://into-mind.com/2013/12/29/january-wardrobe-challenge-setting-style-goals-for-2014/

I ve decided to take the challenge - and share this here.

one: Write a short review of your style and the progress you made in 2013. How did your style, lifestyle and aesthetic preferences evolve?

two: Write about one or two paragraphs about your style and wardrobe plans for 2014. Which aspects about your style and your wardrobe do you want to improve, why and how?

three: Express your five most important goals in a short, motivating sentence each and then start sketching out how you want to achieve or implement them.

one: Write a short review of your style and the progress you made in 2013. How did your style, lifestyle and aesthetic preferences evolve?

Probably doing this all wrong but here goes:

I've been virtually living out of a suitcase, add the very early (dark) mornings for the last 4 months and I think back how I've been putting things together is a miracle.

I have bought relatively very little this year of statement accessories just one Gucci Bright bag, Flora earrings and wearable shoes (present) H wallet and scarves. Only RTW was a leather skirt from Zara, an All Saints body con dress and some premium thick 4ply cashmere dresses at discount. The only real designer item was a skirt from Vivienne Westwood add to that a VW present from the actual catwalk (NO LOGO) I feel happy with what I bought. Nothing on impulse.

I've tried to find great but less expensive alternatives for basics. Dupe plain black underwear from M&S and tights from Calzedonia (instead of designer/Eres/Walford/Falke etc). So far these have worked out great.

I bought a pair of booties from Clarks but they came unstuck after 2 weeks so I took them back. I didn't replace them. I'm sticking to proper Italian and not high street for shoes.

New thing. Sold some bits off

two: Write about one or two paragraphs about your style and wardrobe plans for 2014. Which aspects about your style and your wardrobe do you want to improve, why and how?

Just keep going the way of this year

three: Express your five most important goals in a short, motivating sentence each and then start sketching out how you want to achieve or implement them.

I'm going to get back to you in a day or two - watch this space :biggrin:

I'm more into dark solids than prints, with maybe a pop of color here and there for variety. I am very attuned to what cuts and shapes work on my body. I care most about that, stitching and fabric content than style. I finally realized this around April/May of this year.

I am preppy with a bit of athletic and urban edge. I like to be stylish but comfortable. I am a shoe fanatic (seriously, I have 3-4 pairs of black ankle booties lol). I like fitted leather jackets over blazers, which I feel (aside from BCBG ones fit me kinda dowdy). I like to incorporate elements of trends here and there (like, I have one peplum skirt, for instance) but my style tends to skew more classic. Think Ralph Lauren meets Zara.

1. Keeping my closet small (very proud of my progress).
2. Purchase more upscale jewelry pieces
3. Rebuilt my collection of costume jewelry
4. Continue to collect quality dresses (like DVF wraps)
5. Curate my shoe collection lol

So, I'm finally growing up. I used to buy pieces that looked really pretty, but were un-wise wardrobe purchases. I remember I had barely nothing when it came to professional-wear. Over boxing day, I bought two silk scarves from Club Monaco. They were originally $80 each, but were on sale down to $25 and $30 (plus tax). I also bought a pretty floral dress that cost me $70 (on sale down from $150 +tax). I live in Canada, where there is a good 3-4 months of summer-dress-wearing-weather. So, needless to say, I'm returning them in the next couple of days. Also, I bought a professional-looking blouse/shirt for only $17 (tax included).

This is what compelled me to return my scarves and dress. I keep getting brain-washed when I see a steep discount--I always think "OMG, I'm saving so much!". But the reality is that I'm actually getting suckered into spending a lot. Also, why am I paying so much more for unnecessary items when good-quality must-haves such as professional wear can be purchased brand new for such dirt cheap? Such stupid decisions...

So, for the next year, my resolution is to:
1) Buy things that are super-cheap but still hold up well.
-I used to hate the fact that I lived in Canada, where there aren't a lot of fun fashion stores as down south, where everything is marked up, and hardly any consignment stores in sight. However, I'm growing to become really thankful. A lot of Canadian brands (i.e. Smartset, Jacob, Bedo...etc) are dirt cheap here. Their clothes are very similar to the much lauded American counterparts such as Ann Taylor, the quality is well made, and the prices are SUPER cheap. You can get similar options to Ann Taylor at these stores for $10 bucks! The quality is very, very good, and the styles are super flattering!

2) Stop buying flowery "pretty" (i.e. unpractical) clothes.
-I have so many pretty flowery dresses that I've never worn...just rotting in my closet.

3) Try to limit shopping to one item a month, if I can.

4) Show off my ladylike figure.
- I know I have some junk in the trunk, but who doesn't. I've started doing yoga and working out, and my mood has improved substantially. I don't think I've lost any weight, but I'm still working on it. I kinda loathe the fact that I'm apple shaped (helloo muffin top) but at the same time, I'm still relatively hour-glassed and have a pretty nice body overall. I would like to buy more tight(er) fitting dresses that say "woman!" rather than those A-line twee dresses that say "little girl...".

5) I'm capping my budget. If something doesn't come down to the price I want it to come down to, then I won't buy it.

6) Never go "window shopping" to pass time due to boredom. I hate going into stores and getting fussed over by "friendly" salesgirls, and then be compelled to buy things because you don't want to "let them down" or look back because of their hard work. Also, I tend to impulse-buy. I watched some episodes of Shopaholic (I think that's what it's called, it's a show about people with shopping addiction), where one lady goes thrift shopping a lot--the biggest aha! moment for me was when her friend told her that she's going to "$15 herself into a deep debt". Cheap items add up very quickly.

I think that there's more, but I'll leave it at that for now.

I'm starting my 2014 with so much more wisdom. I've never been so frugal before!

I'm more into dark solids than prints, with maybe a pop of color here and there for variety. I am very attuned to what cuts and shapes work on my body. I care most about that, stitching and fabric content than style. I finally realized this around April/May of this year.

I am preppy with a bit of athletic and urban edge. I like to be stylish but comfortable. I am a shoe fanatic (seriously, I have 3-4 pairs of black ankle booties lol). I like fitted leather jackets over blazers, which I feel (aside from BCBG ones fit me kinda dowdy). I like to incorporate elements of trends here and there (like, I have one peplum skirt, for instance) but my style tends to skew more classic. Think Ralph Lauren meets Zara.

1. Keeping my closet small (very proud of my progress).
2. Purchase more upscale jewelry pieces
3. Rebuilt my collection of costume jewelry
4. Continue to collect quality dresses (like DVF wraps)
5. Curate my shoe collection lol

I really like how you've got a handle on your style, very well thought out plan

So, I'm finally growing up. I used to buy pieces that looked really pretty, but were un-wise wardrobe purchases. I remember I had barely nothing when it came to professional-wear. Over boxing day, I bought two silk scarves from Club Monaco. They were originally $80 each, but were on sale down to $25 and $30 (plus tax). I also bought a pretty floral dress that cost me $70 (on sale down from $150 +tax). I live in Canada, where there is a good 3-4 months of summer-dress-wearing-weather. So, needless to say, I'm returning them in the next couple of days. Also, I bought a professional-looking blouse/shirt for only $17 (tax included).

This is what compelled me to return my scarves and dress. I keep getting brain-washed when I see a steep discount--I always think "OMG, I'm saving so much!". But the reality is that I'm actually getting suckered into spending a lot. Also, why am I paying so much more for unnecessary items when good-quality must-haves such as professional wear can be purchased brand new for such dirt cheap? Such stupid decisions...

So, for the next year, my resolution is to:
1) Buy things that are super-cheap but still hold up well.
-I used to hate the fact that I lived in Canada, where there aren't a lot of fun fashion stores as down south, where everything is marked up, and hardly any consignment stores in sight. However, I'm growing to become really thankful. A lot of Canadian brands (i.e. Smartset, Jacob, Bedo...etc) are dirt cheap here. Their clothes are very similar to the much lauded American counterparts such as Ann Taylor, the quality is well made, and the prices are SUPER cheap. You can get similar options to Ann Taylor at these stores for $10 bucks! The quality is very, very good, and the styles are super flattering!

2) Stop buying flowery "pretty" (i.e. unpractical) clothes.
-I have so many pretty flowery dresses that I've never worn...just rotting in my closet.

3) Try to limit shopping to one item a month, if I can.

4) Show off my ladylike figure.
- I know I have some junk in the trunk, but who doesn't. I've started doing yoga and working out, and my mood has improved substantially. I don't think I've lost any weight, but I'm still working on it. I kinda loathe the fact that I'm apple shaped (helloo muffin top) but at the same time, I'm still relatively hour-glassed and have a pretty nice body overall. I would like to buy more tight(er) fitting dresses that say "woman!" rather than those A-line twee dresses that say "little girl...".

5) I'm capping my budget. If something doesn't come down to the price I want it to come down to, then I won't buy it.

6) Never go "window shopping" to pass time due to boredom. I hate going into stores and getting fussed over by "friendly" salesgirls, and then be compelled to buy things because you don't want to "let them down" or look back because of their hard work. Also, I tend to impulse-buy. I watched some episodes of Shopaholic (I think that's what it's called, it's a show about people with shopping addiction), where one lady goes thrift shopping a lot--the biggest aha! moment for me was when her friend told her that she's going to "$15 herself into a deep debt". Cheap items add up very quickly.

I think that there's more, but I'll leave it at that for now.

I'm starting my 2014 with so much more wisdom. I've never been so frugal before!

Totally brilliant!

Love B6, never wanting to let down SAs. I worked in a posh shop when I was younger, I wish I'd had a few customers who didn't want to let me down but I think my mother is like you and it actually upsets me to see the nonsense she's bought for no good reason except 'the girl was so sweet and trying to put herself through uni etc' and goodness help my sister if she finds a male assistant attractive :graucho:

Probably doing this all wrong but here goes:

I've been virtually living out of a suitcase, add the very early (dark) mornings for the last 4 months and I think back how I've been putting things together is a miracle.

I have bought relatively very little this year of statement accessories just one Gucci Bright bag, Flora earrings and wearable shoes (present) H wallet and scarves. Only RTW was a leather skirt from Zara, an All Saints body con dress and some premium thick 4ply cashmere dresses at discount. The only real designer item was a skirt from Vivienne Westwood add to that a VW present from the actual catwalk (NO LOGO) I feel happy with what I bought. Nothing on impulse.

I've tried to find great but less expensive alternatives for basics. Dupe plain black underwear from M&S and tights from Calzedonia (instead of designer/Eres/Walford/Falke etc). So far these have worked out great.

I bought a pair of booties from Clarks but they came unstuck after 2 weeks so I took them back. I didn't replace them. I'm sticking to proper Italian and not high street for shoes.

New thing. Sold some bits off

Just keep going the way of this year

I'm going to get back to you in a day or two - watch this space :biggrin:

three:...

1. Keep wearing clever and versatile accessories.

This is something for me to work at as it takes thought and time to incorporate them because for me it's not necessarily buy more or wear just with basic neutrals. I think these little 'added' things express my mood and personality year in and year out when actual clothes have long since worn. Plus, let's face it sometimes I really don't want to wear a whole 'look at me' outfit, I just want something

2. Keep only the best of everything.

Still enough to keep me going for years...and years.

3. Only buy the best of anything, if at all.

Once I took the budget restraints off my would-be purchases I ended up not wanting 99% of them. That way, it's about whether I really, really want something and nothing to do with it being a bargain or guilty secret.

4. No great style in an icky colour or lovely coloured thing in the wrong size etc

If it's not perfect it has no place in my wardrobe.

5. All repairs are logged and done

I try do this already. Seriously a stitch in time saves nine.

6. Don't go shopping just because I have some spare time and don't go shopping when I don't have the time and have to rush

Now that my wardrobe is mostly intact, I'll jump right to the resolutions:

1. Get to know Nordstrom Rack. Maybe the Saks and Neimens outlets too.

2. Continue to not buy unless an item is the perfect thing on my wish list, or I have gone home and thought about the item for at least a week.

3. Avoid buying clothing online. It rarely works out.

4. Continue to be inspired by my favorite fashion blogs.

5. Continue to look at clothes and accessories online to see what is available and trending. This is for education and to add to the wish list.

6. Continue to enjoy browsing at malls and not buying unplanned items.

7. Get to know stores that I don't normally go into. And try more pants on.

8. Remember to buy clothes that fit in with what other women in my community wear, to not stand out too much.

9. Continue to lose weight and do squats.

10. Organize my wardrobe on the computer, combine items into outfits, take mod pics.

Happy New Year Everyone!

three:...

1. Keep wearing clever and versatile accessories.

This is something for me to work at as it takes thought and time to incorporate them because for me it's not necessarily buy more or wear just with basic neutrals. I think these little 'added' things express my mood and personality year in and year out when actual clothes have long since worn. Plus, let's face it sometimes I really don't want to wear a whole 'look at me' outfit, I just want something

2. Keep only the best of everything.

Still enough to keep me going for years...and years.

3. Only buy the best of anything, if at all.

Once I took the budget restraints off my would-be purchases I ended up not wanting 99% of them. That way, it's about whether I really, really want something and nothing to do with it being a bargain or guilty secret.

4. No great style in an icky colour or lovely coloured thing in the wrong size etc

If it's not perfect it has no place in my wardrobe.

5. All repairs are logged and done

I try do this already. Seriously a stitch in time saves nine.

6. Don't go shopping just because I have some spare time and don't go shopping when I don't have the time and have to rush

These are beyond great! I will have to engrave them in gold or something. Seriously! They are inspiring me- will need to work on mine a little more, but will be back. Xx:urock::urock:

These are beyond great! I will have to engrave them in gold or something. Seriously! They are inspiring me- will need to work on mine a little more, but will be back. Xx:urock::urock:

I'm glad you liked them. I think I sounded a bit :tispy: in some parts (it's a bit difficult to describe both visual context and psychological motivation in words, even more so this time of the year :P). Glad my thoughts came across. Please excuse there are 6 points and not 5, I just could decide which to chuck.

Happy New Year to you, dear and beautiful ladysarah :party:

Things I learned in 2013:

• I need my "shopping fix" every Friday after work. :smile: I'm going to stop living in denial and just accept the fact that I need to budget for these weekly shopping trips, and plan my purchases accordingly.
  • I'm o.k. with buying inexpensive clothes for everyday wear (Old Navy, Target, etc.). There are a few things that I'm not willing to compromise on, such as my favorite brand of jeans, and well-made shoes, bags, and sweaters. These are things for which I haven't found cheap substitutes; however, my favorite brands still are not luxury brands-- they're just better mainstream brands (J Crew, Coach, etc.)
  • Online shopping isn't very practical. I end up returning most of what I buy.

Things I'd like to improve in 2014:

• I want to accessorize more.
  • I want to update my look. (I've already started doing this.)
Resolutions (I don't have 5, just 3 is plenty for me! ) :

1. Stay within my budget.
  2. If it’s available locally, buy it locally.
  3. Take care of everyday wardrobe needs before splurging on luxury products.

Don't get me wrong-- I do enjoy luxury products. It's just that I've realized I don't need the best of everything, in order to be happy with my wardrobe. I do enjoy the occasional splurge, though.

Last edited:
I want to step out of my comfort zone a bit more in 2014. I've already started by ordering some silver metallic coated jeans and a snakeskin print dress when I was online shopping yesterday.

Accessorize more - my husband gave me some lovely diamond studs for Christmas and I want to start building a better jewelry collection. I also ordered a sterling silver necklace online, and I'm going to wear my Mikimoto pearls (my mom's that she passed along to me for my b'day a few years ago) more often. I also need to buy some belts - I have hardly any and there's times when I'm wearing something that definitely needs a belt to complete the look.

Give up on Forever21. Their clothes just don't fit me and I should stop bothering to even try them on in the first place.

Great thread! I've been making the same fashion resolutions every year but never keep them. I hope 2014 will be different!

Failed miserably in 2013 resolution to look polished and groomed at work. Will work on (two) for 2014.

To look polished and groomed at work on a regular basis. That means trying to wear only clothes that flatter me and are well-fitted. Also to do my hair and makeup nicely (even just simply), and to wear proper shoes at work! I wear flip flops in the office almost everyday :shame:

Also trying to clean out my excess wardrobe. I have way too much clothes, shoes and bags. Made a start in selling a few bags, have a few more to sell/give away. Will try my darnest not to add excessively to my wardrobe again, but may give allowance for one fun designer bag and well-fitted designer shoes.

three: Express your five most important goals in a short, motivating sentence each and then start sketching out how you want to achieve or implement them
1. Do my hair, makeup and wear proper shoes to work.
2. Wear more flattering clothes at work; I.e more silk blouses and fitted pencil skirts or trousers. And a nice bag.
3. Get clothes tailored to fit perfectly
4. Stop buying so much cheap tacky clothing. May make allowance for one fabulous bag and statement shoes.
5. Wear out regular shoes before buying more.

I love these threads of yours, ladysarah. They really help us to reflect on our style, shopping habits, and the evolution of it all.

This year, inspired by the one-ish a month club and the 2013 resolutions threads, I kept a spreadsheet of all my fashion spending and took account of my cost per wear of every item purchased. I tallied up all "regretted purchases" - i.e. items that I ended up not wearing often enough to justify the cost, or items on which I just changed my mind later. I found that in 2012, I regretted ~15% of my purchases (in dollars). In 2013, I was able to knock that down to 3%! This was largely a function of much more mindful shopping, paying attention to my actual (vs. fantasy) lifestyle. Also, if I took it home and it was not perfect (fit, color, incorporation into existing wardrobe), I promptly returned it.

In previous years, I shopped for standalone "statement" clothing that looked great by itself on the mannequin -- but didn't necessarily fit with the rest of my wardrobe. This year, I found it more practical to focus on building a basic foundation of high-quality, neutral clothing, and accessorizing with fun jewelry, scarves, shoes, etc.

I think I've finally arrived at a good place with my wardrobe. I have all the basics, for the most part. My focus for 2014 will be playing with different outfits using pieces that can be interchanged (blazers, tees, jeans, dresses). I'd like to avoid the same stale combinations, so that I won't be tempted to shop out of boredom.

I have only four:

1) No new bags in 2014 - After visiting LV, Dior, Chanel, and Bottega Veneta this year, I'm officially out of bag space in my closet :smile: Will clean and maintain my existing collection.

2) Experiment with new ways to wear my existing clothes -- tPF (selected threads) and Pinterest can offer some inspiration.

3) Any new purchases of clothing, shoes, or accessories must fill an existing gap. No redundancies allowed.

4) Keep up with my yoga practice and add some cardio to maintain my ability to wear all of the above, because I worked too hard to build up a great wardrobe. I'm not about to replace it anytime soon!